News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you could have dinner with one person from NYG past or present

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

I'm goig to deviate a little on the grounds that this unit played like one person.  and i remember seeing these guys having dinner together on a video and wishing I was there.

circa 2008:

David Diehl
Rich Seubert
Shaun O'Hara
Chris Snee
Kareem McKenzie
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

I've had dinner with Peyton, Eli, Archie, and Patrick Willis multiple times. I've also had several long form conversations with AJ Brown and DK Metcalf because of my attachment to Ole Miss. So I'll go off the beaten path a little bit from the previous two Super Bowls since chips matter.

It would be Corey Webster or Antrell Rolle.

Webster because he was basically banished at the beginning of that season before finally being that guy through the playoff run.

Rolle because he's largely credited by most for righting the ship for that last Super bowl team midseason and just getting his perspective of the playoffs and Super Bowl as we've heard from most of the offensive guys.

Since I can only pick one I'll go Rolle.

Ed Vette

It would be Carl Banks because I would actually be able to have a mutual discussion. He's out there and he's open.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

At this very moment, I think I would like to sit down with Carmen Bricillo and get his take on the state of the Giants offensive line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 26, 2024, 10:21:31 AMAt this very moment, I think I would like to sit down with Carmen Bricillo and get his take on the state of the Giants offensive line
I wonder if he would give his honest take on the line and the players individually.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Leek21

kartanoman

Quote from: Flipper on June 26, 2024, 10:04:05 AMTom Landry

What a stoic, classy and extraordinary hero of a man Tom Landry was! I don't know if it would be possible to have conversation over dinner with him and even begin to scratch the surface of such an accomplished man whom, when you begin to learn more about him, and trying to break through his natural introverted personality, you still would be learning about him years after getting to know him. Even Roger Staubach was frustrated in not being able to fully understand his head coach apart from calling him "The man with the funny hat" in his retirement speech.

So much you could discuss with him. His spiritual faith, Engineering background, Military career flying Bombers in WW-II, his family and, of course, his playing and early coaching days with the Giants and how his technical background influenced his strategic play designs on defense to revolutionize the game.

I just wanted to acknowledge what an excellent choice you've made in selecting Tom Landry.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

The OP is really a fascinating question.

For a dinner, I'd want someone who has a lot of great stories to tell, who has a ton of knowledge, who has high level accomplishments, who is intelligent, and who has a big personality and is a seemingly fun and engaging person to be around for 2-3 hours.

With all of that in mind, it's tough for me to get away from Parcells. I think he'd be a riot, and I think he'd have all kinds of stories to tell and a lot of words of wisdom and experience. I would learn a ton but I'd also be epically entertained while enjoying a steak and some red wine somewhere. Sounds like a great evening to me.

kartanoman

What a fantastic thread and I especially want to offer extra thanks to those who went above and beyond by sharing their actual experiences with the Giants they've met and spent some time with; they only add to our collective enjoyment and affection for them and our team.

I wanted to post, one final time, because my contribution, unlike the others here, failed to identify the Giant whom I could actually claim would make the title of this thread come true for me. By complete chance, he actually reached out to me nearly 20 years ago, back when I was still converting my Giants' VHS broadcasts to DVDs, and asked if it were possible if he could have copies of all games in his Giants' career. When I happily agreed to make that happen, and completed that project for him, his natural child-like excitement was made known to me, personally, and he wanted to reciprocate in any way possible.

At the time, in my previous marriage, I lived in Alabama and used to visit with my ex the in-laws in California; he lives north of San Diego. We planned a full day family visit complete with dinner and the VIP tour of his stomping grounds. My ex and I met his wonderful wife and daughter, were welcomed into their home as if we were long-time friends and had conversation that lasted hours before we all went out to eat. By evening, when it was time to leave, they hugged us and insisted we stay in touch. In all, just a beautiful family and everything good that you would hope for with your Giants' heroes after delivering Super Bowl XXI. This player's performance in that game was so influential that he appeared on the front page of the New York Times the following morning after that memorable Super Bowl victory.

My Giant experience at dinner with:

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

I had dinner with Doug Riesenberg about 5 years ago.  He's gotten into sourdough bread baking.  Made me one.  Damn good. 

spiderblue43

Tough question: Many of those named I agree with, but I would like to dine with Spider Lockhart, by all accounts a terrific gentleman and sadly vexed on many forgettable teams.

Wonderful playing career that the Giants honored with his name during the 86 title run.