News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QUIET TIME THREAD- Giants trivia challenge

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 26, 2024, 08:46:58 AMSo close Rich.  253 pounds.

I was shocked to read the weights across the starting 5.  I thought it would be 15 pounds heavier.

Joe,

I remember that the weights of linemen grew over the years.  I understand back in the 50s and maybe 60s there were O-linemen playing at 230
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

Quote from: Giant Obsession on June 25, 2024, 08:07:26 PMWHO AM I ????

I was drafted by the Giants in the 17th round.

My first preseason I caught 3 TD passes and made the practice squad heading into the season.

After learning the playbook I was activated in Week 8 and caught 4 passes for 90 yards and also had a TD reception nullified by penalty.

The next week my first start I caught 1 pass for 7 yards.

At practice that following week I severely broke my arm and was done for the season.

I played in 2 games that year.  I never played another game in the NFL.

My QB, who is in the Hall of Fame, said I had the same big play potential as Homer Jones.

I must admit, it took some research but I think i found it:

Spoiler - he's listed below

Colman Zeno

President Rick

in the 50's era we had a center [Ray Witecha???] who was like 220-230 lbs.  Centers were usually smaller but supposedly brainier, calling block schemes etc.  Then Dave Remington came out of nebraska in the ?70's? [maybe with cincy??] at an unheard of [at the time for a center] 300 lbs and the paradigm changed for centers.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 26, 2024, 08:54:43 AMJoe,

I remember that the weights of linemen grew over the years.  I understand back in the 50s and maybe 60s there were O-linemen playing at 230

I thought they were more in the 260-270 range.  Surprising to me.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 26, 2024, 10:50:40 AMI thought they were more in the 260-270 range.  Surprising to me.

I am not sure if this is accurate (it came via a forum I never visited before)

To put the sizes in perspective, let's compare the average size for an offensive lineman through the years to an active player (all data via Pro-Football-Reference.com).

In the 1920s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-0, 211 pounds.

In the 1930s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-1, 220 pounds.

In the 1940s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-1, 221 pounds.

In the 1950s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-2, 234 pounds.

In the 1960s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 251 pounds.

In the 1970s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 255 pounds.

In the 1980s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 272 pounds.

In the 1990s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 300 pounds.

In the 2000s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 313 pounds.

In 2011, the average offensive lineman is 6-foot-5, 310 pounds.

https://jcfb.forums.net/thread/17754/size-offensive-lineman-years-nfl#:~:text=In%20the%201970s%2C%20the%20average,foot%2D4%2C%20313%20pounds.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 26, 2024, 07:05:13 AMThe answer to yesterday's question was Corey Webster

Today's question:

Y. A. Tittle was the New York Giants' starting quarterback from 1961 to 1964. Which team, whose home was Kezar Stadium, traded Tittle to the Giants?

San Francisco...Kezar Stadium..the very same one seen in Dirty Harry.

spiderblue43

1966...brutal year..and it was backup QB Gary Wood with 3 rushing tds.

:what:

LennG

YA, as was said, was traded by SF to the Giants for 2nd-year guard  Lou Cordileone. Cordileone replied when informed he was traded," what, for a 42-year-old QB." Tittle also was upset about not being traded for a 'named' player. YA was expendable in SF as they preferred John Brodie, as he was a shotgun-type QB and SF was adopting that into their offense. Tittle contemplated retiring rather than start over, but pride got in the way and he still felt he could play. He started the 2nd game in 1961 and the rest is NY Giants history.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

spiderblue43

Name the Giant whose fumble against the Atlanta Falcons was dubbed FUMBLE TWO?

As Giants ..

Who was dubbed Beachball?

Who was dubbed Toast?

Who was the Giant RB who refused to have his ankles taped?

Who was the opponent in a MNF game gone into overtime and ending in a tie?

Who was the promising Giant DT whose career was ruined stepping on a coke bottle?

:Chestram:  :Giants:

Giant Jim

Quote from: spiderblue43 on June 27, 2024, 09:38:16 AMAs Giants ..

Who was dubbed Toast? Everson Walls

Who was the opponent in a MNF game gone into overtime and ending in a tie? St Louis Cardinals in the boringest game ever.

Who was the promising Giant DT whose career was ruined stepping on a coke bottle? Was it Larry Jacobson? Was he promising?

MightyGiants

Quote from: spiderblue43 on June 27, 2024, 09:38:16 AMName the Giant whose fumble against the Atlanta Falcons was dubbed FUMBLE TWO?

As Giants ..

Who was dubbed Toast?

Who was the promising Giant DT whose career was ruined stepping on a coke bottle?

Deossie Senior was beachball

Elvis Paterson was toast

Cards for the tie (worst MNF game ever)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The answer to yesterday's question was correct: Y.A. Tittle played previously for the 49ers.

Today's question:

Which coach led the Giants to the most victories during the 20th century?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

bighitterdalama

Quote from: spiderblue43 on June 27, 2024, 09:38:16 AMName the Giant whose fumble against the Atlanta Falcons was dubbed FUMBLE TWO?

As Giants ..

Who was dubbed Toast?

Spider, I have most (maybe all?)

Steve Deossie
Elvis Patterson
Ron Johnson(?)
Saint Louis Cardinals: "The Phooey in Saint Looey." A 20-20 tie. Neil O'Donoghue kept missing chip shot field goals
Larry Jacobsen from Nebraska. If I remember the story correctly, he was hammered at a pool party and stepped on a glass.

spiderblue43

Quote from: bighitterdalama on June 27, 2024, 05:25:48 PMSpider, I have most (maybe all?)

Steve Deossie
Elvis Patterson
Ron Johnson(?)
Saint Louis Cardinals: "The Phooey in Saint Looey." A 20-20 tie. Neil O'Donoghue kept missing chip shot field goals
Larry Jacobsen from Nebraska. If I remember the story correctly, he was hammered at a pool party and stepped on a glass.

Great job! Fumble Two was Leon Perry..going in for the clincher td..fumble..returned 98 yards for the winning score.