News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QUIET TIME THREAD- Giants trivia challenge

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 04, 2024, 07:06:32 AMImpressive  :ok:

Yes, they are the New York FOOTBALL Giants, to differentiate them from the then New York based baseball team by the same name

Today's is a tricky one.  In 1930, the NY Football Giants played a famous college all-star team in a charity event in which the Giants were the underdogs (at that time, Pro football was the poor stepchildren to the college game).  The Giant's stunning upset, with Friedman running for two Giant touchdowns and Hap Moran passing for another, helped establish the legitimacy of the NFL.  Which college (bonus for the name of the famous coach) did the Giants play?
Notre Dame all stars. Was the coach Knute Rockne?

Giant Obsession

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 04, 2024, 08:07:46 AMI admittedly used the internet and still could not solve this one

# 88 Coleman Zeno from Grambling.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

spiderblue43

Mighty,

Gonna say Notre Dame and Knute Rockne. Irish were better than pro teams then.

spiderblue43

Name the Giant WR that name reminds you of a close shave

Name another Giant player with a Z last name

Name the defender called for holding during a fumble/sack scramble against the Eagles.

Name a Giant bare-footed kicker

MightyGiants

@Giant Jim and @spiderblue43

I am impressed that you guys got my question.  I thought I had thrown out a tough one.   Yes, it was Notre Dame, the 4 horsemen and the legendary Knute Rockne (who were unpleasantly surprised at how good the Giants were).

Today's question:  Can you name the 4 Giants who have won the NFL Most Valuable Player?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: spiderblue43 on July 04, 2024, 12:39:11 PMName the Giant WR that name reminds you of a close shave

Name another Giant player with a Z last name

Name the Giant WR that name reminds you of a close shave.

That would be Walker Gilette (1974-76)

Paul McFadden filled in for the injured Raul Allegre in 1988 (SIDE NOTE: 1988 was bizarre in that the Giants played the season with both their regular punter and kicker on injured reserve. Sean Landeta had back problems that year and ex-Bear Maury Buford punted for the Giants in 1988. This rare occurrence happened again in 1992 when Landeta went down and Joe Prokop, whom the Giants signed as a 1985 free agent, who punted for the Jets, filled in. Matt Bahr was also injured and ex-Cowboy Ken Willis filled in).

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 05, 2024, 07:38:55 AM@Giant Jim and @spiderblue43

I am impressed that you guys got my question.  I thought I had thrown out a tough one.  Yes, it was Notre Dame, the 4 horsemen and the legendary Knute Rockne (who were unpleasantly surprised at how good the Giants were).

Today's question:  Can you name the 4 Giants who have won the NFL Most Valuable Player?
LT, Frank Gifford, Charley Connley and YA Tittle.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on July 05, 2024, 10:53:55 AMLT, Frank Gifford, Charley Connley and YA Tittle.

Impressive, you nailed it Jim  :ok:

Okay, today's is a tough one.   The Giants' number 14 is retired not once but was retired twice for two players.  The first player played from 1937–1945, and the second played from 1961–1964.  Who were the two men for whom number 14 was retired?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 06, 2024, 09:18:40 AMImpressive, you nailed it Jim  :ok:

Okay, today's is a tough one.   The Giants' number 14 is retired not once but was retired twice for two players.  The first player played from 1937–1945, and the second played from 1961–1964.  Who were the two men for whom number 14 was retired?

Ward Cuff and Y.A. Tittle

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 06, 2024, 09:18:40 AMImpressive, you nailed it Jim  :ok:

Okay, today's is a tough one.  The Giants' number 14 is retired not once but was retired twice for two players.  The first player played from 1937–1945, and the second played from 1961–1964.  Who were the two men for whom number 14 was retired?
You can never miss with Lawrence Taylor! I almost forgot about Gifford. I have to admit, he was a lucky guess. I was thinking about him making the pro bowl at 3 different positions. Did he win in '56?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on July 06, 2024, 09:32:56 AMYou can never miss with Lawrence Taylor! I almost forgot about Gifford. I have to admit, he was a lucky guess. I was thinking about him making the pro bowl at 3 different positions. Did he win in '56?

Yes,

Won Championship 47-7 vs. Chicago Bears
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on July 06, 2024, 09:32:06 AMWard Cuff and Y.A. Tittle

We have another impressive winner!   =D>

Today's question-  How many NFL Championships have the NY Football Giants won in their 100 years of existence? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 07, 2024, 01:47:43 PMWe have another impressive winner!  =D>

Today's question-  How many NFL Championships have the NY Football Giants won in their 100 years of existence? 

I'll guess 8. 4 super bowls, the '34 & '56 Championship and probably 2 or 3 others

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on July 08, 2024, 06:58:16 AMI'll guess 8. 4 super bowls, the '34 & '56 Championship and probably 2 or 3 others

Good guess!   =D>

League championships (8)
NFL championships (pre-1970 AFL–NFL merger) (4)
1927, 1934, 1938, 1956
Super Bowl championships (4)
1986 (XXI), 1990 (XXV), 2007 (XLII), 2011 (XLVI)

Today's question.  How many different stadiums have The New York Football Giants played in?  Bonus points for being able to name them all.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl, Shea Stadium Giants Stadium & MetLife
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"