News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants premieres July 2 on Max.

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Just watched the Hard Knocks

I thought it seemed Schoen let Daboll do all the heavy lifting and pick his own DC- Nice
But who knows what previous discussions we didn't see

Mara should not be involved in any football decisions (as he seemed to be).  He seems to be putting his thumb on the scale he hired Schoen to minister

Yeah the FBombs seemed immature

If Schoen really does not listen to sports radio he should...dont live in a bubble Joe

It seems to me they are going to ride Jones ad infinitum....We can forget about a change baring injury
for the foreseeable future.  Unless Jones totally wets the bed.  Mara would not approve of benching Jones

Schoen understood Barkleys true value and to me he did the right thing

I also felt their meetings are too big.  At Least the ones showed.  Too many chefs spoil the soup

I also sensed Daboll and Schoen are still learning/maturing as they go- the price of hiring two guys who never had those titles beforehand
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 03, 2024, 07:11:16 AMJust watched the Hard Knocks

I thought it seemed Schoen let Daboll do all the heavy lifting and pick his own DC- Nice
But who knows what previous discussions we didn't see.  Could it be Schoens welcome aboard phone call to
Bowen was the first time they really connected one on one? 

Mara should not be involved in any football decisions (as he seemed to be).  He seemed to be putting his thumb on the scale he hired Schoen to minister

Yeah the FBombs seemed immature

If Schoen really does not listen to sports radio he should...dont live in a bubble Joe

It seems to me they are going to ride Jones ad infinitum....We can forget about a change baring injury
for the foreseeable future.  Unless Jones totally wets the bed.  Mara IMO would not approve of benching Jones

Schoen understood Barkleys true value and to me he did the right thing.  Mara didn't like it.

I also felt their meetings are too big.  At Least the ones showed.  Too many chefs spoil the soup

I also sensed Daboll and Schoen are still learning/maturing as they go- the price of hiring two guys who never had those titles beforehand.  I feel for both of them.

All in all we are getting a heavily edited view of behind the scenes, but you can read voice tenor and body language to fill in the blanks
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 02, 2024, 10:15:03 PMI thought the first episode was good. Some comments/opinions/observations:

(1) I like Brandon Brown. I liked him plenty before this, but my view was reaffirmed in my eyes in getting a few glimpses of how he thinks and works in this episode. I fully expect him to get poached away for a GM job in the next couple of offseasons.

(2) I didn't love the scene with Mara and Schoen. I felt like Mara was indicating to Schoen he'd like to have Saquon back and had to be reminded that they paid Jones all this money and now need to spend money to protect him better. It almost felt like Schoen was reminding Mara of the contract Mara likely advocated giving Jones. Mara kind of seemed to just grunt when he said that. Felt a little bit "meddly" to me, albeit it was sort of subtle.

(3) I liked Chris Rosetti from what I saw in this episode. Struck me as very knowledgeable and informed on the finer points on veteran players, including their value and their fit into the Giants' schemes. I like the way he interacted with the larger group in the scene with the large meeting they had.

(4) Schoen drops a lot of F bombs! There was one scene where it was literally every third word practically.

(5) I still don't really have an opinion on Shane Bowen either way. I want to see the product before I really pass much of a judgment. It seems like they did their due diligence there and are excited about having him. I didn't get the sense that hire was rushed or that he was their fourth or fifth choice and they just needed to get someone. Sounds like getting back to a four man rush and stopping the run are priorities. That suits me fine as a fan if he and the players can pull that off, because that reminds me of top Giant defenses of the past.

1) I like Brown, and I hope we see more of him in future episodes

2)  That is an interesting take.  I don't believe I saw it as you did.  I don't see the evidence that Jones was signed as a result of Mara's meddling, and I am not even sure it's about how much they paid Jones.  I think Schoen is using that number to try to get off of Mara's old school, "we have to establish the run" thinking

3) Under Schone, it seems the pro scouting department has improved, with Chris leading the way.  Chris seemed to have a solid handle on things.

4) That's how guys talk in certain settings.  We talked that way in the maintenance shop when I worked at the hospital, and some of my various crews, over the years, on the squad talked that way as well.   It's funny I was on a call once for a prisoner.  He was cursing up a storm and making sexual comments to try and shock us.  All I could think was, "If only you had heard our conversation right before we got called for you.."

5) I can't help but think that was the impression the Giants wanted you to have.   I heard Daboll mention at the Legends gathering that he knew how to keep the HBO cameras off of him.  He would simply play copyrighted music on his phone (while he was talking to someone), and HBO couldn't use the footage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Can we stick to one thread on Hard Knocks?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin