News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - Knicks Trade For Bridges

Started by Philosophers, June 26, 2024, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

What do you all think?  Very good all around player who fits probably every team with his shooting and defense.  Here are my 4 questions for you:

1) Assuming they re-sign OG, how do they play both simultaneously as I think both play the same position?  Wouldn't the lineup be too small if they play together?

2) Knicks gave up a huge haul of draft picks to get him potentially crippling their future rebuilding especially if guys go down with major injuries.  Was that smart to give up so much?

3) Does signing Bridges mean they lose OG?

4) if they keep OG, do they need a certain kind of center with OG and Bridges playing together along with Brunson?

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm just catching up on reading the story. Huge move. The Knicks must be planning some more moves to balance out the team. Just don't know what that would be  ~X(

One thing for sure...Knicks are going for it!
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Jolly Blue Giant

The draft is tonight at 8PM. Knicks have no.s 24 and 25. Having watched the last few years of the draft, the only thing that is certain is that the Knicks will move around. But who knows, maybe they'll actually use the two picks and draft players at that spot...but I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised we draft no one, but trade the picks for future picks 

One thing is certain, they will pay "OG" to keep him. They didn't give up RJ and Quick just to rent OG

From all I've read, they will likely pair Bridges with Brunson, and DiVincenzo goes to second team. The Big issue now is the center position. That's where I expect to see activity tonight, whether trading Mitch or IHart along with picks, or drafting a future center...who knows?  :-??

The team will look like this:

First team
1,2 Brunson and Bridges
3,4 "OG" and Randle
5 Mitch??? IHart????

Second team
1,2 Deuce and Divvy
3,4 Hart and Achiuwa
5 Jericho?
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 10:28:57 AMThe draft is tonight at 8PM. Knicks have no.s 24 and 25. Having watched the last few years of the draft, the only thing that is certain is that the Knicks will move around. But who knows, maybe they'll actually use the two picks and draft players at that spot...but I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised we draft no one, but trade the picks for future picks 

One thing is certain, they will pay "OG" to keep him. They didn't give up RJ and Quick just to rent OG

From all I've read, they will likely pair Bridges with Brunson, and DiVincenzo goes to second team. The Big issue now is the center position. That's where I expect to see activity tonight, whether trading Mitch or IHart along with picks, or drafting a future center...who knows?  :-??

The team will look like this:

First team
1,2 Brunson and Bridges
3,4 "OG" and Randle
5 Mitch??? IHart????

Second team
1,2 Deuce and Divvy
3,4 Hart and Achiuwa
5 Jericho?

Interesting.  I wondered if Bridges would go to 2 spot or whether he or OG would play the 4 spot as a small lineup with a powerful defensive center.  With Bridges now Knicks have more firepower or IH's offense may be less valuable than Robinson's defense.

I think the Knicks are not done as you said and that tonight they may do more.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on June 26, 2024, 10:49:05 AMInteresting.  I wondered if Bridges would go to 2 spot or whether he or OG would play the 4 spot as a small lineup with a powerful defensive center.  With Bridges now Knicks have more firepower or IH's offense may be less valuable than Robinson's defense.

I think the Knicks are not done as you said and that tonight they may do more.

I don't think Bridges brings "firepower" as he's the Tasmanian Devil as a defensive menace out front. He'll take a lot of pressure off Brunson though, while giving the Knicks one of the strongest backcourt defenses in the league, shutting down our opponents' "trey masters"...hopefully. He is an above average shooter, but won't take a game over the way Brunson or Randle can...and will have the team's best free throw percentage - he's automatic at the free throw line (90+% FT avg). Our offense will still be primarily built around Brunson and Randle...and DD off the bench

Now they have to figure out the "5" spot, then we are off to the races. Knicks are "in it to win it - NOW" and have pushed all their chips into the pot

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 11:15:26 AMI don't think Bridges brings "firepower" as he's the Tasmanian Devil as a defensive menace out front. He'll take a lot of pressure off Brunson though, while giving the Knicks one of the strongest backcourt defenses in the league, shutting down our opponents' "trey masters"...hopefully. He is an above average shooter, but won't take a game over the way Brunson or Randle can...and will have the team's best free throw percentage - he's automatic at the free throw line (90+% FT avg). Our offense will still be primarily built around Brunson and Randle...and DD off the bench

Now they have to figure out the "5" spot, then we are off to the races. Knicks are "in it to win it - NOW" and have pushed all their chips into the pot

But didn't he average almost 20 points per game shooting with a very good outside shooting percentage?  Figure he'd bring both more scoring and as you said more definitely more defense.

Exciting times for the Knicks for sure.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on June 26, 2024, 11:19:51 AMBut didn't he average almost 20 points per game shooting with a very good outside shooting percentage?  Figure he'd bring both more scoring and as you said more definitely more defense.

Exciting times for the Knicks for sure.

He can take a game over, but that is not his style. He's had six 40+pt games in his career, but he only takes over when the rest of the team goes cold. He's a team player who feeds the hot hand, spreads the offense, and takes good shots that come to him. His overall stats are around 48% shooting, 37% 3pt shooting, etc., and averages around 20 pts a game...which is excellent when not the focus of the offense

Puffy

Quote from: Philosophers on June 26, 2024, 08:54:09 AMWhat do you all think?  Very good all around player who fits probably every team with his shooting and defense.  Here are my 4 questions for you:

1) Assuming they re-sign OG, how do they play both simultaneously as I think both play the same position?  Wouldn't the lineup be too small if they play together?

2) Knicks gave up a huge haul of draft picks to get him potentially crippling their future rebuilding especially if guys go down with major injuries.  Was that smart to give up so much?

3) Does signing Bridges mean they lose OG?

4) if they keep OG, do they need a certain kind of center with OG and Bridges playing together along with Brunson?

Its an awesome trade.  Bridges fits.

(1) OG can guard anyone 1-5 and Bridges can guard anyone 1-3 and probably most, if not all, 4s.  Thus, yes, they can not only play together they can thrive together.  This puts Donte into the 6th man role.  And it improves D and Offense.

(2) If the Knicks are as good as I, and they, think then its not a massive overpay.  Those picks are not going to be lottery picks and most likely will be in 20s.  Plus they still have 6 or 7 1st rounders left over that time period.  There have been great players picked in the 20s of the first round.  There have been 25 times more players drafted then that are in Europe or on some teams bench. In short, bird in the hand (and an excellent bird in the hand) is way, way more valuable.

(3) No,  OG is their number 1 priority to sign.  And, like I said above, a great fit along side Brunson, Bridges and Randle.  It might mean we lose Hartenstein though.  But they have ways to overcome that (hope Mitchell stays healthy, play with Randle at 5 banking on great defensive flexibility of both OG and Bridges, draft at 24 and 25 or cheaper version of Hartenstein in free agency like Claxton).

(4) see 3

Jolly Blue Giant

There's an old saying, "Teams, not a single player, win championships". What Thibs has done, is to create a team chemistry that I haven't seen in years in the Big Apple. Bridges will be even better than he was on previous teams because he's not only playing with close friends, they push each other to the max. He also knows he is being put on the biggest stage in the world, where he can showcase his skills that won't go unnoticed. It's also the reason I hope they can figure out a way to keep IHart, because he is a big part of the team's "chemistry"

OG is a given - no way in hell the Knicks are letting him out of their grasp  :no:

The Knicks are young all around, and have three All Stars in Randle, Brunson, and OG, while Bridges is a borderline All Star, and could get there with this team, as he's psyched to join his friends and know a championship is within their reach. Hart, DD, Deuce, Precious are superb backups. Exciting days ahead for Knicks' fans

Now, if only IHart is willing to take less than he can get as a FA, in order to stay with a team he blends with seamlessly, and with a shot at winning it all, my dreams come to fruition

The draft tonight will be very interesting because you just know that Thibs isn't through playing mix-and-match to zero in on a certain player

files58

Towards the end of the season, and into then out of the playoffs my thought was if the Nets are willing to trade Bridges the Knicks should go get him. They did. They should now try very hard to keep IHart. It's a chemistry thing, and what he brings. What do you think they can acquire for Randall?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: files58 on June 26, 2024, 12:13:44 PMTowards the end of the season, and into then out of the playoffs my thought was if the Nets are willing to trade Bridges the Knicks should go get him. They did. They should now try very hard to keep IHart. It's a chemistry thing, and what he brings. What do you think they can acquire for Randall?

Randle is a true 4. Unless they worked a trade for Karl-Anthony Towns, I don't see a 4 available out there that comes close to Randle's production - especially defensively. I would be disappointed if we lost Randle. When he's hot, he's one of (in not) the best PFs in the NBA. Even when he's not hot, he's a top 10 PF

One thing I'm having to get used to. Everything the Knicks have done in the last year has gone completely under the radar...like the world's best-kept-secret. We knew they wanted Brunson in advance, but who would have seen the RJ/Quick trade for OG...or the trade for Bridges. Can't wait for tonight to see what surprise is up their sleeves

BluesCruz

I get it.  But takin DeVincenzo off the court is a bad idea
We needed a skilled big man, not another small forward

Having said that he gives us way more depth
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

fromthebside

I think they keep OG but lose Hartenstein.  He's an agile big who runs and protects the rim.  He played his way to a bigger contract somewhere else. Mitch protects the rim but he moves like a cruise ship docking into a port.  Lateral movement is in question and his health is a bigger question.  And the compensation they gave is the epitome of "F** them picks". If everyone stays healthy and Randle plays nice with the rest of the sandbox, I feel it is going to be NY vs Bos in the EC Finals.

Philosophers

I feel like with the 4 Nova guys plus OG you now get great ball movement but Randle scores but stops/slows down ball movement.  Do they look to move him now with 3 solid scorers plus a deeper bench?

Now with Bridges, I can see a Golden State style of play with good outside shooting and great perimeter defense.  Randle is my question.

nb587

Trading for Bridges is a good move but I would hesitate to call it a great move unless they at least get to the NBA finals relatively quickly.  But, there is a huge risk now.  Years ago, the Lakers were a champion level and they ended up getting the 1st pick in the draft, Magic Johnson.  They got the pick because of a prior trade with Detroit.  Giving an unprotected pick in 2029 and 2031 is very risky.  The Knicks have a relatively young team but 5-7 years ago could be an eternity and stuff happens. Winning it all soon and it's worth it.