News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - Knicks Trade For Bridges

Started by Philosophers, June 26, 2024, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 26, 2024, 01:10:03 PMI get it.  But takin DeVincenzo off the court is a bad idea
We needed a skilled big man, not another small forward

Having said that he gives us way more depth

DD has always been an "off-the-bench" guy, which has been his role until forced to be a starter on the Knicks once Quick and Grimes were traded away. He flourished this season, but he's not Bridges on defense. DD will be our sixth man...or competing with Hart as sixth man. He'll get his minutes. I'm not sure which is less fair...DD or Hart being bench players. Either would start on a lot of teams. Hart brings heart to the game like no one I've ever seen
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

DaveBrown74

A few comments:

(1) OG exercised his opt-out clause, and the Knicks only have until 6pm Sunday to sign him before he hits the FA market. This was probably a smart move by OG, because now that he knows the Knicks are "going for it", so to speak, he can really hold their feet to the fire.

(2) One positive of the above is the Knicks do hold his "bird rights", meaning they can outbid any other contract and go over the salary cap to do so.

(3) The Knicks simply have to sign OG. You can't trade decent players like Barrett and Quickley to basically get only a small number of games out of this guy and then have him walk. That would be insane. He's an absolute must-sign, and I can't see it not happening.

(4) I am fully behind this trade. Rose has shown remarkable discipline since taking the job. I feel like there has been a plan in place from day one and he is executing it. He built up draft capital, he made some great signings, he has resisted temptation unlike predecessor GMs of his, he has a real understanding of "fit", and above all he is getting results and the team is on a clear upward trend. Bridges is not only a very good player but he will have amazing chemistry with this team.

(5) For those who believe it was a high price to pay in terms of the trade, keep in mind that Bridges is on an incredibly team-friendly contract. That's a huge component of trade pricing.

(6) Keeping Hartenstein could be a challenge. I want him as much as the next Knicks fan, but I think they can survive without him. Even with Mitch missing his usual half of the season, they can sign an underpriced big and develop him the way they did Hartenstein. I realize that's not anyone's first choice, but I think it will be ok. Hopefully he stays.

Do I think this trade makes us championship caliber? It remains to be seen, but I am optimistic. We were something like 23-2 with OG in the lineup and we took it to the Celts in-season. I know the Celts look unbeatable, but this will be an extremely strong group when healthy.

Jolly Blue Giant

Draft starts in 2 hours (8PM). Anyone going to watch it? I expect Rose/Thibs to be playing the board like a game of checkers. Can't wait to see what we end up with
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 06:01:22 PMDraft starts in 2 hours (8PM). Anyone going to watch it? I expect Rose/Thibs to be playing the board like a game of checkers. Can't wait to see what we end up with

I'm definitely going to watch it.

If we end up sticking to where we are, I'd like the Knicks to find a suitable 9th man for this season.

DaveBrown74

OG signed for 5 years, $212.5mm.

That's a massive contract. Think about how much more he is making than Brunson.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 26, 2024, 06:24:48 PMOG signed for 5 years, $212.5mm.

That's a massive contract. Think about how much more he is making than Brunson.

They were never letting him go...no matter the cost  :ok:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 06:35:01 PMThey were never letting him go...no matter the cost  :ok:

Definitely not, and I said likewise. He is a huge part of this team now.

Their record with him was insanely good. Guy is a seriously good player. I just hope injuries are not a habit with him.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 26, 2024, 06:37:09 PMDefinitely not, and I said likewise. He is a huge part of this team now.

Their record with him was insanely good. Guy is a seriously good player. I just hope injuries are not a habit with him.

I thought about that...when he went down, we weren't nearly the same team without him. Now though, should he go down for a spell, we move Bridges from the 2 spot to the 3, and DD takes over at the 2 spot and not as a significant loss

I want to keep IHart and I'd like to see if we can keep Precious. He did a bang up job filling in for Randle. We know what we have with him, and he's not going to be out of price range as a backup

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 06:44:17 PMI thought about that...when he went down, we weren't nearly the same team without him. Now though, should he go down for a spell, we move Bridges from the 2 spot to the 3, and DD takes over at the 2 spot and not as a significant loss

I want to keep IHart and I'd like to see if we can keep Precious. He did a bang up job filling in for Randle. We know what we have with him, and he's not going to be out of price range as a backup

I'm less concerned about Precious. Sure, he did a respectable job, and all things equal I'd be happy to have him back, but this is the NBA. The league is full of "ok" guys like that.

Good point on the Knicks being in less trouble now than they were previously if OG were to go down.

This contract shows how ridiculously good (from the Knicks' point of view) the Brunson contract is. What a steal. Amazing to think that some called this signing an overpay at the time. It is probably one of the three or four best value free agent signings in the NBA in the last quarter century. I almost feel badly for the guy.

Jolly Blue Giant

Not that it matters because who knows where the Knicks will actually draft as they will probably move all over the place. There are a couple of players I like that should fall to their draft spot if they don't move around:

C Kel'el Ware, Indiana (7'0 / 242lbs / 20 yrs old)
C/PF Kyle Filipowski, Duke (6'10¾ in bare feet / 248lbs / 20 yrs old)
C Yves Missi, Baylor (6'11" / 235lbs / 20 yrs old)

We have picks (1st)24, (1st)25, (2nd)38

My guess is that we'll take a big and a PG, but if there's a decent wing with high upside, they could go that way to  :-??

Philosophers

I think center particularly avery athletic center and a PG to spell Brunson and ideally one who can distribute but also shoot.

spiderblue43

Injury concerns with OG always..but he fits perfectly with the Knickerbockers.  No way was he leaving. Go for it mode..and why not? 50 years of futility is enuff.

Need a big rim defender with the likely departure of I Hart. Don't think they're gonna move Randle yet...but... :doh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Well, Leon/Thibs never stick to the script. Waited a long time just to hear they traded 24 for 26, then traded 26 to  :-??

So, we picked up a Frenchie named Paco. I have to put my faith in the coach that Paco has the skill set, character, and inner drive to be a successful Knick. The good: 6'8" and "very strong"...only 18 years old and has been playing (well) at the pro level in France against grown men...labeled as a "blank canvas" for the Knicks to mold. Fans booed the pick, which is a shame for him to hear that. I'm sure we'll know a lot more about him by tomorrow's news

https://twitter.com/BigKnickEnergy_/status/1806158827923915222

Jolly Blue Giant

Knicks shedding money, hopefully to re-sign IHart...and passing on Filipowski makes me think they don't need a center to replace him. Fingers crossed that that is the case

madbadger

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 26, 2024, 11:16:02 PMKnicks shedding money, hopefully to re-sign IHart...and passing on Filipowski makes me think they don't need a center to replace him. Fingers crossed that that is the case

They're trying to avoid paying the luxury tax. Second round picks are cheap and the difference in quality between pick 26 and 36 is negligible. From what I have gathered it is unlikely that they will retain Hartenstein. I also expect them to use their second round pick in a big and to stash their first round pick in France for another year. It's also entirely possible that they trade Randle before the deadline. They need to prove he's 100% to increase interest but he's a really bad fit for this current roster.