News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evan Neal getting one more chance with New York Giants

Started by brownelvis54, June 27, 2024, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on June 28, 2024, 12:21:13 PMWhen we suggest that Neal is overweight, what weight are we referring to: the 350 lbs. he carried at Alabama, the 340 lbs the media's current Roster round number, or 337 lbs. that he measured at the Combine? 

His 7' 1/2, 337 Combine numbers got a Wow! from Field Yates, and a "Carries 337 pounds like it's 250," FOX Sports' Colin Cowherd tweeted. "Lord. Pick him number one (with) no reservations at all."

A photo of Neal from the Combine has him looking mean and lean and in no way overweight and in need of Ozempic. And for worth it's worth, whether or not he actively participated, he did rank No.1 at OT in Athleticism and Overall, at the Combine. Rather odd, huh?

While he has struggled mightily in his 2 seasons and 20 games with Our Heroes, they must now determine how much, if any has been related to coaching and/or setup and technique changes, or is he simply a fraud as an ORT?

Cheers!

Larry, I do not see lean and mean

https://x.com/SInow/status/1499423016564015104
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 28, 2024, 12:47:26 PMLarry, I do not see lean and mean

Whether anyone else sees/thinks the same as you is hardly worth debating, Rich. In any case, I would not have concluded that Neal at 6'7 1/2, 337 lbs. is overweight given that there are nearly a dozen starting OTs in the NFL who weigh as much or more than Neal including the Patriot's Mike Onwenu, both Cincy's OTs named Brown, Jacksonville's Robinson, Tennessee's Latham, DaBears' Taylor, the Lions' Penei Sewell, and the Eagles 365 lb. Jordan Mailata.

If there is a weight issue with Neal, that could be a lot better than any other which might give rise to the "B word"

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on June 27, 2024, 01:03:46 PMHis lateral agility and inability to quickly establish passing block sets are the reasons I don't believe he'll live up to his promise, at least not as a RT.  I concur that he should lose some weight; however, I'm not convinced it will significantly help with the aforementioned issues. Regardless, I think you're right, Rich...he at least needs to try to drop some LBs. 

Matt is it his lateral agility or his mental processing speed of when the ball is snapped and it's time to move?  If he comes out of his stance a split second late, that can look like he is slow laterally.  I can't tell with Evan and I've wondered which it might be.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on June 28, 2024, 06:48:46 PMWhether anyone else sees/thinks the same as you is hardly worth debating, Rich. In any case, I would not have concluded that Neal at 6'7 1/2, 337 lbs. is overweight given that there are nearly a dozen starting OTs in the NFL who weigh as much or more than Neal including the Patriot's Mike Onwenu, both Cincy's OTs named Brown, Jacksonville's Robinson, Tennessee's Latham, DaBears' Taylor, the Lions' Penei Sewell, and the Eagles 365 lb. Jordan Mailata.

If there is a weight issue with Neal, that could be a lot better than any other which might give rise to the "B word"

Cheers!

Larry,

It really doesn't matter if other tackles have successfully played at that weight.  Neal isn't one of them.  When a tackle is struggling with speed, quickness, and balance it's only logical that he should try and lose some weight as doing so will help with all three of his deficiencies
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 29, 2024, 09:41:42 AMLarry,

It really doesn't matter if other tackles have successfully played at that weight.  Neal isn't one of them.  When a tackle is struggling with speed, quickness, and balance it's only logical that he should try and lose some weight as doing so will help with all three of his deficiencies

That may be, Rich. I'm simply not ready to assume that some unspecified weight loss will somehow fix what's wrong with Neal because if so, I think we'd be hearing about that rather than another Oline Coach change.

And, of course, it matters that there are nearly a dozen OTs who weigh as much or more who currently are or will be starting this season. Otherwise, that's like suggesting those teams are coached by fools who don't know how much better their guy would be if he was 20 lbs. lighter.  ;)

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 29, 2024, 09:41:42 AMLarry,

I feel like this is similar to walking.  Some people naturally walk really fast and some walk really slow. Wonder if Neal is just naturally slower.

AZGiantFan

It's going to be a very slim chance if he can't get and stay on the field
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on June 29, 2024, 09:28:05 AMMatt is it his lateral agility or his mental processing speed of when the ball is snapped and it's time to move?  If he comes out of his stance a split second late, that can look like he is slow laterally.  I can't tell with Evan and I've wondered which it might be.

I believe it's the former, Joe; however, you could be correct, my friend.  I'm not counting him out yet, as T is a position that can take 30'ish games for a player to mature.  We'll know by the end of this season.   

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on June 29, 2024, 04:26:47 PMI believe it's the former, Joe; however, you could be correct, my friend.  I'm not counting him out yet, as T is a position that can take 30'ish games for a player to mature.  We'll know by the end of this season.   

It's hard to see it as a fan unless the camera does a close up to him.  I just hope Carmen can coach him up to fix it.  He drives so much of the Giants' bus this season IMHO.

andrew_nyGiants

I honestly don't believe that the scouting dept & GM missed this badly.

He's got the talent; either he responds this season or the guy has a serious ticker problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

I saw good reps last year, I'm not down like everyone else on him. I think him staying healthy to get better is the key. Obviously the Giants have seen the talent or he wouldn't be the starting RT, Eluemunor would be.

DaveBrown74

I remember during various summers reading things about both Ereck Flowers and also Will Hernandez either cutting weight or adding muscle in the offseason and how this was going to mean that they'd be new players on the field when the season started.

It never did.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 30, 2024, 05:53:02 AMI remember during various summers reading things about both Ereck Flowers and also Will Hernandez either cutting weight or adding muscle in the offseason and how this was going to mean that they'd be new players on the field when the season started.

It never did.

Jeff,

Losing weight doesn't assure Neal will get better, I just think it would boost his odds
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 30, 2024, 07:20:59 AMJeff,

Losing weight doesn't assure Neal will get better, I just think it would boost his odds

Fair enough.

I guess my only follow-up thought to that is if it is so clear that him being at a lower weight is going to boost his odds of success in the NFL, why was he not at the optimal weight in at least year two if not as a rookie?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 30, 2024, 09:57:05 AMFair enough.

I guess my only follow-up thought to that is if it is so clear that him being at a lower weight is going to boost his odds of success in the NFL, why was he not at the optimal weight in at least year two if not as a rookie?

Neal has had weight issues throughout college.   Some people simply struggle with their weight
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE