News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does anyone here believe Tommy D really got a fair shot last year?

Started by BluesCruz, June 29, 2024, 06:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 01, 2024, 10:28:08 AMDevito stunk.  His linsanity run was fun, the most fun of the entire season to be honest, but he was not good by any stretch of the imagination.  It's not his fault, he played about as well as he could have given his level of talent.  And he probably out played Jones (not exactly a high bar to reach) but he wasn't good.  To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. 

The Giants have 3 QBs on their roster and none of them are good.  My bold prediction is next year all 3 of them will be on other teams or out of the league entirely.

Not sure how to respond to this missive.

Stunk?  Ok your opinion, and everyone has one
Given what he had to work with and the limited 1st team practice time, I would say stunk is a bit harsh

Frankly pulling 3 wins out of that team in 6 games, I thought he was doing pretty good.  The new guy Drew Lock did beat The Eagles last year.  I'm hopeful he was a good find.

Jones is a bit stiff and robotic, refuses to air it out.......He stunk last year if you have to label someone with that tough a term.  If Jones comes back strong it bodes well for us, but he has to re-invent himself to do it.  How many QBs do that in their 6th season historically?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Tommy had a terrific opportunity that Undrafted FAs rarely ever get. In his Rookie season, he got to start or play in a half dozen NFL games. His positive nature sparked his teammates to play above their level and that was obvious but it's something that is minimalized by the press and the fans. He had his ups and downs and in my opinion, he didn't have the confidence that he would survive so he exploited or had his family exploit his 15 minutes of fame for financial reasons. He should have focused on the game. That's all on him.

As the 3rd string QB, he was not fully prepared to start a game (not his fault), but he made a better showing than most backups the Giants have had. Not all but most. He's tough and has a set of balls on the field. Unfortunately for him, he's not going to get enough experience as #3 to compete for a starting role with this team. He doesn't have the physical skills or the experience to compete here. Because of his weak college experience, he came in behind the eight ball. He needs at least a full season as the primary backup to grow and learn. Unless Lock or Jones gets injured, he's destined to be waived. I don't know if there is a team out there that would take the chance on him as their primary backup with all the high-profile Veterans and Journeymen out there.

I do see him in this league for a few years and maybe lightning will strike again for him. Right now he's just a backup with some potential. He's the 18-1 horse in the Derby. A mudder on a rainy day on a wet track. He's the Underdog that people like to root for. A nice story. Nothing more and nothing less. Perhaps he will get a second chance and work hard to prepare himself for it every day.

In the meantime, Daniel Jones is the starting QB for the NY Giants, and Giants fans should be rooting for his success and not his failure. The road to success, has DJ driving the Bus.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Tommy had the best record and passer rating of any Giants QB last season.

3 wins to Jones 1
8 Passing TDs to Jones 2
3 INTs to Jones 6 INTs

89.2 Rating to Jones 70.5

Offensive Player of the Week Vs Green Bay

Tyrod played in 11 games last year and had 5 Passing TDs and 3 INTs
Singlehandedly handed the Bills a victory due to a horrific audible

Yeah Tommy really needed to prepare better.....how quickly we forget. 
I really think he was not the same guy after the head shot he took against New Orleans

If Jones was the 3rd string QB and Tommy the Starter, Jones likely would be off the team right now.
I hope Jones miraculously morphs into a decent QB but would not bet on it.  He is fundamentally unsound
but boy can he hoof it.  One of the NFL fastest players  That part is fun to watch

Jones story reminds me of David Carr.   Playing for Houston he got sacked so often he lost all his confidence
Jones has taken a brutal sack experience over the years. 

coggs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: coggs on July 01, 2024, 08:16:13 PMPeople are still responding to this thread?

The trolling boat goes where the fishing is good.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 01, 2024, 12:01:03 PMTommy had the best record and passer rating of any Giants QB last season.

3 wins to Jones 1
8 Passing TDs to Jones 2
3 INTs to Jones 6 INTs

89.2 Rating to Jones 70.5

Offensive Player of the Week Vs Green Bay

Tyrod played in 11 games last year and had 5 Passing TDs and 3 INTs
Singlehandedly handed the Bills a victory due to a horrific audible

Yeah Tommy really needed to prepare better.....how quickly we forget. 
I really think he was not the same guy after the head shot he took against New Orleans

If Jones was the 3rd string QB and Tommy the Starter, Jones likely would be off the team right now.
I hope Jones miraculously morphs into a decent QB but would not bet on it.  He is fundamentally unsound
but boy can he hoof it.  One of the NFL fastest players  That part is fun to watch

Jones story reminds me of David Carr.   Playing for Houston he got sacked so often he lost all his confidence
Jones has taken a brutal sack experience over the years. 

Plz stop being ridiculous because I'm really trying to ignore this thread so that I don't have to make you look ridiculous with the stats you just posted.

For instance, Tyrod only played 5 1/2 maybe 6 games worth of playing time. He showed up in 11 games but got almost all his snaps from the 5 ĝames he started and when he went in for Devito at the end. You act like he was played significant reps when Devito had more snaps than anyone. Jones 325, Devito 406, and Taylor 373 snaps.

Also please stop talking about the saints hit, you are wrong, everyone told you as much in the game thread that day because it was a football move.

Taylor's analytics are off the charts for 2023, while Devito was behind Jones in most analytics. Neither Devito or Jones were close to tyrod when it comes to analytics. But sure ignore that.

I think most people here would consider me not a Jones guy and yet here I am hoping for him to start so we don't have to put in Devito. Devito was horrible in college yet you never remember that, but don't mind remembering when it has to do with Jones.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 01, 2024, 10:18:59 PMPlz stop being ridiculous because I'm really trying to ignore this thread so that I don't have to make you look ridiculous with the stats you just posted.

For instance, Tyrod only played 5 1/2 maybe 6 games worth of playing time. He showed up in 11 games but got almost all his snaps from the 5 ĝames he started and when he went in for Devito at the end. You act like he was played significant reps when Devito had more snaps than anyone. Jones 325, Devito 406, and Taylor 373 snaps.

Also please stop talking about the saints hit, you are wrong, everyone told you as much in the game thread that day because it was a football move.

Taylor's analytics are off the charts for 2023, while Devito was behind Jones in most analytics. Neither Devito or Jones were close to tyrod when it comes to analytics. But sure ignore that.

I think most people here would consider me not a Jones guy and yet here I am hoping for him to start so we don't have to put in Devito. Devito was horrible in college yet you never remember that, but don't mind remembering when it has to do with Jones.

My main point is the DeVito trashing

Id rank DeVito #1 last year
Tyrod #2

Jones a distant 3rd

But for the ridiculous contract Jones would be gone like Tyrod at this point
who also had a ridiculous contract for a back up

Waiting for Jones to improve is desperation talking
He got shell shock Ala David Carr and next step is likely the exit swan song

maybe he rejuvenates, but not a high probability. Id give it 10%

I can see Daboll benching Jones for Drew Lock if Jones comes to slow or is deemed unfit medically.

football move?

BluesCruz

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 01, 2024, 09:06:11 PMThe trolling boat goes where the fishing is good.

thats actually very off base

no one can refute the statistics showing Tommy was our most effective QB last year
but would rather bemoan Tyrod or go on and on about how Jones will suddenly morph from an ugl ducking to a swan

From my point of view DeVito will still have to wait in the wings
My hope is Drew Lock will shed his bad judgement habits and emerge as a real QB, should Jone continue to stumble.  Right now Lock reminds me of Kerry Collins (great arm but no clue)

Sadly, DeVito already is game ready to make proper calls and passes to lead us out of the wilderness but politics usually rule in these cases

Much has been invested in Jones, and Lock to some extent.  Tommy will have to wait or go elsewhere

As a fan I'm hopeful but frightened by the lack of a solid starting QB
Where is a Kurt Warner when you need one?

Rather than Lock, I wish we had pursued Gardner Minshew, who somewhat reminds me of Warner or ....Baker Mayfield.   

Let the games begin,I hope I'm wrong about all this but in my heart, I know Im not

Jones started out flawed 5 yrs ago, has not improved and the "David Carr" syndrome is creeping in (unbridled fear of being flattened)

Messiah717

Why in the world is there another thread about this guy?  How many times are we going to do this?  If you need attention this badly go buy a puppy. 

BluesCruz

Easy it has 38 replies and 588 views

What's the count on your latest contribution?   This is an unresolved aspect to our teams progress.  By far the greatest issue and everyone wants to sweep it under the Jones rug.

QB and RT are our achilles heal.  Its worth discussing and I've seen enough of Jones under pressure to utterly disregard his homeric OTA's

Not to mentions fragility.  What are the odds he makes it to mid-season?

Messiah717

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 02, 2024, 06:56:18 AMEasy it has 38 replies and 588 views

What's the count on your latest contribution?   This is an unresolved aspect to our teams progress.  By far the greatest issue and everyone wants to sweep it under the Jones rug.

QB and RT are our achilles heal.  Its worth discussing and I've seen enough of Jones under pressure to utterly disregard his homeric OTA's

Not to mentions fragility.  What are the odds he makes it to mid-season?

End the unhealthy obsession over the guy.  You're repeatedly given the same replies and then like a troll resurrect the same nonsense.  Jones is the starting QB making $40 million and unless he gets hurt will be under center for the Giants this season.

I've killed Jones like many others but in a season where nobody expects to blow the doors off anyone, the reward of Jones playing well is greater than anything you might get from Devito.  He's not the future nor was he ever going to be.  Go play with Devito in Madden Franchise Mode.  Maybe you can have a dynasty with him.

T200

The problem in threads like these is not in the question/original statement... it's the attention.

Many of us have an obsession with either correcting someone or trying to prove them wrong. That's what keeps these threads going.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 02, 2024, 09:29:41 AMThe problem in threads like these is not in the question/original statement... it's the attention.

Many of us have an obsession with either correcting someone or trying to prove them wrong. That's what keeps these threads going.

Tim,

I have three thoughts on this topic.

1)  Just because we all disagree with Bluecruz on DeVito doesn't mean we are correct.  I always try to avoid the Ad populum fallacy, which argues that incorrectly asserts that the number of people agreeing proves correctness.  Who knows?  Maybe DeVito surprises.

2) You are spot on about wanting to correct people or show them up.  I remember reading from this female computer programmer.  She would go on program forums looking for the answer to a programming problem.  Her posts requesting help went unanswered.   So, she created a second account that would answer her question with the wrong answer.  Suddenly, her posts were flooded with people who wanted to correct the person who had given the wrong answer.

3) My only issue with this thread is it's a tired rerun.  @BluesCruz tread no new ground with this post.  He just repeated previous talking points that had already been repeated. 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 02, 2024, 10:24:02 AMTim,

I have two thoughts on this topic

1)  Just because we all disagree with Bluecruz on DeVito doesn't mean we are correct.  I always try to avoid the Ad populum fallacy, which argues that incorrectly asserts that the number of people agreeing proves correctness.  Who knows?  Maybe DeVito surprises.

2) You are spot on about wanting to correct people or show them up.  I remember reading from this female computer programmer.  She would go on program forums looking for the answer to a programming problem.  Her posts requesting help went unanswered.   So, she created a second account that would answer her question with the wrong answer.  Suddenly, her posts were flooded with people who wanted to correct the person who had given the wrong answer.

3) My only issue with this thread is it's a tired rerun.  @BluesCruz tread no new ground with this post.  He just repeated previous talking points that had already been repeated. 

Rich,

It isn't even about which viewpoint is "correct" - we are all here sharing our opinions, for the most part. There's no right or wrong opinion.

#3 is spot-on. It's already been talked about.

If no one responds, it dies quickly.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

it would be nice if the people who believe as I do would come out of the woods
disagreeing with Giants management does not make you an idiot or a target.
Mistakenly paying someone 40 million per year does not tether you your bad decision
if the other 2 guys are there anyway already paid

Maybe Im wrong about Jones, and DeVito....I doubt it.  If you get the QB decision wrong, you might as well declare it a development season.  All hope is then lost the QB being that important

Giants management has definitely made tremendous mistakes in the last 10 years
Calling them out does not make you dis-loyal....in fact you are trying to protect them from their own failings.  Lately they do appear to be making progress- thus the dark horse prediction

I thought DeVito looked promising until the head shot, after that he looked lost
If the hit WAS legal it still left him a bit foggy.  Everyone is entitled to a bad day but not a bad 5 years

One other thing- Daniel Jones is a terrific person,  I wish him well
He has had 5 years to figure it out....He has not made much progress
You might say he is worse now than he was as a rookie (all the hits having made him gun-shy)

The Tom Brady deal was much the same- stepped in and never looked back.  Same with Brock Purdy

I'll drop it now

Thanks for understanding Rich