News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Your Favorite Art Deco building

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, July 01, 2024, 07:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Art Deco building

Jolly Blue Giant

I love old art deco buildings and when I visit other cities, I tend to study architecture. I just wondered what everyone else thinks

Empire State Building

Chrysler Building

Wrigley Building

Niagara Mohawk Building

Bank of America Building

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

LennG

Mys
Myself, being a traditionalist, I go with the Empire State Building. Simple lines and powerful structure.

Why else would King Kong have chosen it to commit suicide?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

I prefer this type. Rich knows where it is.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I believe that is called "modern" or your last example, "Victorian", Ed. I like modern as well, my favorite being the Sydney Opera House, but others are impressive like the Oculus Train Station by the World Trade Tower, or the Marina Bay Sands Hotel in Singapore...and the "Sphere" in Vegas is pretty spectacular. Not art deco though

Marina Bay Sands, Singapore

Art Deco:

A: A decorative art style of the 1920s and 1930s, characterized by precise and boldly delineated geometric shapes and strong colors, and used most notably in household objects and in architecture.
B: In architecture, use of stainless steel and oftentimes, figurines such as eagles, angels, gargoyles, etc. (Oxford Dictionary)

I would be remiss to not mention that the super tall toothpick buildings in NYC suck. Wouldn't live in one for free  :no:
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Jolly Blue Giant

8 Spruce Street in NYC is one of my favorite buildings in the city...sorta Art Deco because of the amount of stainless steel used, but because of the date, it probably is better defined as "modern with an old art deco touch"

Sem

I voted the Wrigley Building. It's even more awesome up close and personal. Thirty-some years ago I spent several months living basically right next door to the Wrigley Building, (in the large building to the immediate left, which at the time was called River Plaza).

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on July 01, 2024, 09:25:13 PMI voted the Wrigley Building. It's even more awesome up close and personal. Thirty-some years ago I spent several months living basically right next door to the Wrigley Building, (in the large building to the immediate left, which at the time was called River Plaza).

I used to go to Chicago two or three times a year for business and usually found myself on Michigan Ave. Whenever I walked by the building, I would stop and look at all the detail that doesn't show up in photos. It's an incredible building. The bridge in front (off to the side) on Michigan Ave is in a lot of movies, "While You Were Sleeping", "The Fugitive", "Code of Silence", etc. Even in TV shows like "Prison Break". Regardless, the Wrigley Building is the finest building in Chicago IMHO

Jolly Blue Giant

Whenever I'm at the Dinosaur in Syracuse (the original Dinosaur restaurant), I always walk down the street a couple blocks in order to take in the Niagara Mohawk Building. It's lit up at night and spectacular around Christmas time

The "Spirit of Light" guardian of the NIMO building

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on July 01, 2024, 07:25:10 PMMys
Myself, being a traditionalist, I go with the Empire State Building. Simple lines and powerful structure.

Why else would King Kong have chosen it to commit suicide?

Although the Empire State Building was completed in 1931, I'm not sure whether it would qualify as "Art Deco" if not for the spire and a few stainless steel fan shaped objects on the façade. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful building and great historical significance that is a iconic symbol of the great city that built it when the country was suffering from the Great Depression. It gave people hope, where there was little

MightyGiants

What's sad is the USA used to be home of all the new impressive buildings.  Now those impressive buildings are being built in other countries
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 02, 2024, 11:18:18 AMWhat's sad is the USA used to be home of all the new impressive buildings.  Now those impressive buildings are being built in other countries

Yeah, China, Dubai, London, etc., are being very artistic and creative with huge structures. NYC did a fairly nice and creative job with the Hudson Yard project, but whoever allowed the skinny sticks to be added to the skyline ought to be horse whipped! Creativity, my ass...any kid can draw a straight line and call it a skyscraper...duh

The tallest building being built that will be the tallest in the U.S. is in Oklahoma City that will be called Legends Tower. Why???? Duhhh

Skyscrapers are built because of the congestion of millions of people and they are not convenient; hence, people use trains and taxis to get to work and then take a 10-15 minute elevator ride stuffed to the max to get to the floor of their office. Population congestion and high reliance on underground rails and taxis are not issues in Oklahoma. Then to top it off, they didn't even get creative. Must've hired the architects from NYC that designed 432 Park Ave...the least creative skyscraper ever built. I guess they just want to be able to brag that they have the tallest building in America. A building that can hold tens of thousands of workers. Where are they going to park their cars? How are they even going to fill it with paying customers? Anyway...yep, gonna be taller than the World Trade Building and the Sears Tower (or whatever they are calling it these days). Makes absolutely no sense to me

Here's a rendering