News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How much each #NFL team last sold for.

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2024, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Seeing those prices that are under a million makes me do a double take. What a return on investment those buyers got!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on July 03, 2024, 11:37:17 AMSeeing those prices that are under a million makes me do a double take. What a return on investment those buyers got!

Some of that is time based

If you invested $100 in the S&P 500 at the beginning of 1960, you would have about $55,812.27 at the end of 2024, assuming you reinvested all dividends. This is a return on investment of 55,712.27%, or 10.32% per year.

So if you invested a million dollars in the market in 1960 it would be worth $550 million today.  Not running out the math but it looks like Al Davis' investment in the Raiders (admittedly not an NFL team at the time) beat the market while I am thinking the buying the Lions for $4 million in the same year (1964) didn't beat the market.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Despite the exorbitant increase in value that these teams have seen in the past decade or so, I am of the opinion that this is still a great time to be buying an NFL team. Big picture-wise, we are still only in the nascent stages of legalized gambling. I think this will have nothing less than a transformative effect on long term profitability.

Americans' insatiable appetite for sports is not going anywhere, and their only-recently-officially-legal insatiable appetite for gambling isn't going anywhere either. In fact it will get bigger now that gambling is more readily available and is being aggressively marketed. All told, I think the valuations of these NFL teams will continue to rise at a break-neck pace, and they will remain money-making machines.