News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ross Tucker on the player's 6 week vacation

Started by MightyGiants, July 04, 2024, 07:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

I found this Ross Tucker prediction more interesting. He was counting down QB backups who may become the starter in season.

"#4. DREW LOCK, GIANTS

It's hard to believe that just a year ago, Daniel Jones signed a contract extension with the New York Giants that would pay him $40 million per season. Flash forward to now, and the Giants were heavily interested in trading up for a quarterback in Round 1.

That didn't happen, as they couldn't get inside the top three picks to secure Maye or Jayden Daniels. Instead, they're sticking with Jones as their starter and Drew Lock as the primary backup.

Lock was a disaster in Denver earlier in his career but settled down in Seattle. While he isn't the most dynamic option, he could be a solid option if Jones can't stay healthy or struggles out of the gate. Lock has a massive arm and enough athleticism to keep drives alive. It wouldn't be surprising if Brian Daboll decides to make a switch at some point during the 2024 season."

And if Lock goes down or can't cut it,  will we see more of DeVito?  Seems possible
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 04, 2024, 08:01:43 AMI found this Ross Tucker prediction more interesting.

Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge.

Lao Tzu

Although, in fairness, many of these pundits play the prediction game because it brings in certain fans and they need to produce content during the quiet time of the NFL season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Didn't Mara remind you a bit of Homer Simpson's boss at the Nuke Plant- Mr Burns

Id put in an image but don't know how to do that

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 04, 2024, 09:59:30 AMDidn't Mara remind you a bit of Homer Simpson's boss at the Nuke Plant- Mr Burns

Id put in an image but don't know how to do that

What does that have to do with the topic?  Regardless, I am not joining you on your quest to bash John Mara.  I believe his views on football are a bit outdated so I would prefer he make less suggestions.  That said, John Mara is a good man and one of the good owners.  He is the rare owner that still cares about the fans, the team, and the game.  That is in stark contrast to many of the owners who will happily harm the game and screw over the fans to make more money.  He may be too loyal and still has a mom and pop mentality, but he is a good man that deserves better than to be mocked by you.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 04, 2024, 10:17:50 AMWhat does that have to do with the topic?  Regardless, I am not joining you on your quest to bash John Mara.  I believe his views on football are a bit outdated so I would prefer he make less suggestions.  That said, John Mara is a good man and one of the good owners.  He is the rare owner that still cares about the fans, the team, and the game.  That is in stark contrast to many of the owners who will happily harm the game and screw over the fans to make more money.  He may be too loyal and still has a mom and pop mentality, but he is a good man that deserves better than to be mocked by you.

Sorry Rich.  I agree he is a good person. I just thought the way he was standing there- the posture reminded me of Burns.  I was kidding, not mocking.  Leo Derochure famously said nice guys finish last
and the NFL is a cut throat league

I don't have enough data to be certain but I've always suspected Giants GM's and coaches were playing to some extent to an audience of one.

If Mara has not influenced football decisions then I'm totally off but my instincts tell me he as you said was sometimes putting his thumb on the scale especially concerning Barkley and Jones.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 04, 2024, 10:17:50 AMWhat does that have to do with the topic?  Regardless, I am not joining you on your quest to bash John Mara.  I believe his views on football are a bit outdated so I would prefer he make less suggestions.  That said, John Mara is a good man and one of the good owners.  He is the rare owner that still cares about the fans, the team, and the game.  That is in stark contrast to many of the owners who will happily harm the game and screw over the fans to make more money.  He may be too loyal and still has a mom and pop mentality, but he is a good man that deserves better than to be mocked by you.

Good post. I try to be circumspect about Mara as well.

On the one hand, I think he leaves a lot to be desired on the football side of things (he's outdated and fairly stubborn), but even there he has shown some humility and willingness to change recently, and I did like the fact that he at least had a robust process around his hiring of Schoen. Unlike with DG, where he just did what a long since out-of-the game 75 year old Accorsi told him to do without even considering other applicants, there was a solid process with multiple candidates this time, and then he also let Schoen pretty much pick the HC, something that wasn't really the case with DG.

Where I really like and admire Mara is on the personal stuff and his values system. He has genuine integrity and is very loyal. Obviously, his loyalty is also a fault in some ways that gets him into trouble, but I think he is an honest and very decent man. Now sure, he was born on third base and hasn't had a difficult life, but that doesn't preclude him from being an exemplary human being.

There are many owners out there who I think are at best questionable on the morality/class front, and some are outright really bad on that front. While as a fan I care about winning and championships more than anything else, I also care immensely about our team doing things the right way and having integrity and class at the top, as that trickles down through an organization. Mara is as classy and honest an owner as there is in the league, and he's also a genuinely nice guy (I know multiple people who have spent enough time with him to be able to testify to that firsthand, plus it's pretty clear just by watching him that he's a solid guy).

So I agree that just blindly bashing and insulting him all the time is a bit lame. I think criticizing the aspects of his approach to owning the team that deserve criticism (and we all know what they are) is totally appropriate, but to just wreck him as a human being is way off base in my opinion.

BluesCruz

Ultimately, any organization reflects the man at the top

We are lost in the woods.  I just think, good person that he is, he needs to stand clear of the wheelhouse and let the guy he hired- Schoen and Schoen alone steer the ship.

He has to step away.  I hope he does and what we witnessed is the exception not the rule.