News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

People may not consider NYG's roster talented, but at least the cap is healthy

Started by MightyGiants, July 04, 2024, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

This is true, and it's an important point.

Schoen can justifiably be knocked for some of his personnel decisions, and the team obviously needs to perform significantly better than what we saw last year in order for him to be here for a long time, but he has definitely exhibited robust discipline around the cap and does have the Giants positioned much better on this front in future years than what the situation looked like upon his arrival.

andrew_nyGiants

Two questions:
1) does that mean Philly has $400M in voidable cap hits? (BTW I don't know what voidable cap hits even means)

2) the Giants odds are 10,000-1. So I can put $100 down, and if they pull off a miracle I win a million bucks?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on July 05, 2024, 09:53:02 AMTwo questions:
1) does that mean Philly has $400M in voidable cap hits? (BTW I don't know what voidable cap hits even means)

2) the Giants odds are 10,000-1. So I can put $100 down, and if they pull off a miracle I win a million bucks?!

Voidable years is a way to borrow against future cap dollars.  What a team does is add voidable years (these are years that a player will never play under) to the contract.  By doing that, bonuses (which are spread out evenly over the remaining life of a contract, are reduced for each void year added. 

I am not a gambler, but I believe +10,000 means 100-1

Edit to add:

I looked it up

What does odds of +10000 mean?
If you were to bet $10 on +10000 odds you would receive $1000.00 in profit if this outcome won. Odds accompanied with a positive sign (+) indicate that this is the underdog and this outcome will have a lower chance of winning compared to a favorite, however underdogs will yield a higher profit if they win.

The implied win probability of +10000 odds is 0.99%. If you'd like to see the implied win probability of other odds values you can check our Moneyline Converter.

American Odds of +10000 when converted to decimal odds are $101.00 and when converted to fractional odds are 100/1. If you'd like to convert other odds values in different formats, please check out our Odds Converter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 05, 2024, 09:56:41 AMVoidable years is a way to borrow against future cap dollars.  What a team does is add voidable years (these are years that a player will never play under) to the contract.  By doing that, bonuses (which are spread out evenly over the remaining life of a contract, are reduced for each void year added. 

I am not a gambler, but I believe +10,000 means 100-1

Edit to add:

I looked it up

What does odds of +10000 mean?
If you were to bet $10 on +10000 odds you would receive $1000.00 in profit if this outcome won. Odds accompanied with a positive sign (+) indicate that this is the underdog and this outcome will have a lower chance of winning compared to a favorite, however underdogs will yield a higher profit if they win.

The implied win probability of +10000 odds is 0.99%. If you'd like to see the implied win probability of other odds values you can check our Moneyline Converter.

American Odds of +10000 when converted to decimal odds are $101.00 and when converted to fractional odds are 100/1. If you'd like to convert other odds values in different formats, please check out our Odds Converter.
Wow!
Thanks Rich!

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

uconnjack8

Yes, raise + odds show what a $100 bwr would pay.

Glad to see someone looking at void years.  I am curious to see how it plays out for Philly.  They have been using void years to keep a talented roster together, just wonder if and when it catches up to them.  Or does Roseman have something figured out to minimize those hits later on....

nb587

I heard someone on a podcast today discuss the effects on the teams of the Sunday Ticket lawsuit.  Clearly, we are years away from a final outcome.  But, the group that runs the league is not stupid.  And, the possibility of losing or even settling has to have a negative impact on the Cap.  Those teams that consistently spend tomorrows money in anticipation of Cap increases might just have a day of recogning.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on July 05, 2024, 10:36:12 PMI heard someone on a podcast today discuss the effects on the teams of the Sunday Ticket lawsuit.  Clearly, we are years away from a final outcome.  But, the group that runs the league is not stupid.  And, the possibility of losing or even settling has to have a negative impact on the Cap.  Those teams that consistently spend tomorrows money in anticipation of Cap increases might just have a day of recogning.

I heard this as well, and you are correct.  If this ruling impacts the NFL's revenue streams and growth, teams like the Eagles could be in trouble.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

First, I think there is a good chance this ruling is reversed.

2nd, even if the NFL loses or settles or whatever, I dont think it means their revenue will go down.  If somehow they are forced to lower prices for the ticket, its possible revenue could go up by more people being willing to purchase it. 

Certainly the owners won't be happy if the ruling does not change.  I dont think rhe money they will have to pay out will be pulled from future salary cap revenue unless there is some provision for that in the collective bargaining agreement. 

nb587

Not 100% certain of this but I think this was the result of a jury trial.  Not 100% certain that the following is true but I think most jury trial are not reversed.  I'm curious why you think this will be reversed.  Second, given the huge dollar impact of the verdict, wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a settlement rather than waiting for all the litigation to finish? 

uconnjack8

Quote from: nb587 on July 07, 2024, 03:11:08 PMNot 100% certain of this but I think this was the result of a jury trial.  Not 100% certain that the following is true but I think most jury trial are not reversed.  I'm curious why you think this will be reversed.  Second, given the huge dollar impact of the verdict, wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a settlement rather than waiting for all the litigation to finish? 

From Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-06-28/nfl-sunday-ticket-directv-lawsuit-hits-league-with-4-7-billion-in-damages

Jclayton92

Can't knock schoen on trades and the cap but the draft is so huge that it may outweigh the other 2.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll