News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones ranked 8th most clutch QB in NFL

Started by sxdxca38, July 04, 2024, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

He cracked the top ten and was ranked 8th in clutch performance.

Here is the article down below from CBS sports

Clutch

MightyGiants

8. Daniel Jones
Hear me out before you pound your fist on the table and yell "Daniel Jones is eighth on this list?!?!?" He had very few clutch opportunities through three seasons but he's been steady lately. He successfully led the Giants down the field to tie or take the lead on 11 of 25 opportunities (44 percent) in the last two years, a top-10 rate in the NFL. 

I'll be the first one to tell you that his NFL-record five game-winning drives through seven games in 2022 was a fluke. But, while he may not have been landing haymakers and Saquon Barkley was certainly doing his fair share of the heavy lifting, credit Jones for taking care of the ball and adding value with his legs. His five turnovers in the fourth-quarter and OT in the last two years is the same number as Joe Burrow. He also led a game-winning drive on the road in the postseason against the Vikings in 2022.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

I don't care what wooly bully stats and figures the football world comes up with. Daniel Jones does NOT pass the smell test after 5 years.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Ed Vette

"Sometimes Stats Don't Tell The Whole Story"
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

If true and convincing, then it fits an assertion I made a week ago that the key to success is more a reflection of when you make the play than from where. It doesn't take a Brady or a Mahomes to prove that. See our 2x Lombo-winning "profoundly mediocre Regular Season QB" if you doubt it.

In any case, our opinions of Daniel Jones to date are of little consequence ahead of what quite clearly is his essentially Be All/End All season.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

I read the explanation, but I am still not sure how a QB who is 22-36-1 and only has one playoff win in five years can be characterized as one of the 8 most clutch QBs in the league. The author might want to consider the possibility that Jones' not having many clutch opportunities in the first place might have something to do with him specifically, but in any event, this ranking did get me to click on the link, so mission accomplished on that front at least.

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 04, 2024, 11:29:13 AM"Sometimes Stats Don't Tell The Whole Story"

It's not just sometimes. Chance is always a significant element in any statistical analysis. Just keep flipping a coin and see how often you get an alternating 50/50 result. There are averages and then there are "averages". Therein lies the challenge.

Cheers!

kingm56

This ranking should be given as much credence as the PFF ranking that list DJ #29 or NFL index ranking that list DJ as the #46 best QB...they're all crap.   Writers need to write to get paid, this is just another example of click-bait; we should strive to understand the impetus behind such publications. 

Painter

Quote from: kingm56 on July 04, 2024, 12:34:41 PMThis ranking should be given as much credence as the PFF ranking that list DJ #29 or NFL index ranking that list DJ as the #46 best QB...they're all crap.   Writers need to write to get paid, this is just another example of click-bait; we should strive to understand the impetus behind such publications. 

That's a given which is a burden for most but not for everyone it would seem.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

I am kind of disappointed in the reactions.  To me when there is a stat based or analytics based conclusion, one should study and consider the methodology.   In this case:

QuoteI looked to the numbers to answer these age-old questions, using two stats:

Quarterback conversion rate on game-tying or go-ahead drives in the fourth quarter and overtime
Expected points added (EPA) per play in these situations (looks at value added on all plays between rushes, passes, sacks and fumbles)
Essentially, how often does a quarterback lead his team down the field successfully in do-or-die situations, and how does he perform on those drives? I broke those numbers down between a quarterback's career in the regular season, career in the playoffs, and 2023 performance. All of these were evenly weighted and used to churn out this top 10 list of the most clutch quarterbacks in the NFL.

Last disclaimer. I only looked at the 26 current starting quarterbacks with NFL experience. Rookies and other projected starters with only a few starts (like Anthony Richardson) weren't considered.

Instead there is just dismissal of the study because it doesn't match preconceived notions and Gettleman-like dismissal of stats and analytics in general.   I appreciate  this is just my opinion, but. I think we should give consideration to studies, stats, and analytics.   It's not the only piece of the puzzle, but it's a valuable one (if it weren't, team's analytics departments wouldn't be growing and all 32 teams wouldn't be subscribing to PFF Ultimate).  Stats can help us to recognize misconceptions and bias, if used correctly.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"Saquon Barkley was certainly doing his fair share of the heavy lifting...[/size]
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Daniel Jones 2023 ranks:

#30 in EPA/att (-0.24)
#30 in YPA (6.0)
#28 in pass success rate (38%)
#32 in TD rate (1.8%)
#33 in TD:INT ratio (2:4)
#31 in explosive pass rate (11%)

#3 in 2023 cash ($46,000,000)

Almost dead last in every metric but number 1 in our hearts and 8th in clutch I guess.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 04, 2024, 01:17:25 PMDaniel Jones 2023 ranks:

#30 in EPA/att (-0.24)
#30 in YPA (6.0)
#32 in TD rate (1.8%)

Almost dead last in every metric but number 1 in our hearts and 8th in clutch I guess.
Yup.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 04, 2024, 11:59:11 AMI read the explanation, but I am still not sure how a QB who is 22-36-1 and only has one playoff win in five years can be characterized as one of the 8 most clutch QBs in the league. The author might want to consider the possibility that Jones' not having many clutch opportunities in the first place might have something to do with him specifically, but in any event, this ranking did get me to click on the link, so mission accomplished on that front at least.
The Giants as a team are 22-36-1 in five years. The NFL doesn't assign Ws and Ls to QBs in their official stats and for good reason - it's a team sport. The other 21 guys and the coaching staff do matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todge

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 04, 2024, 01:17:25 PMDaniel Jones 2023 ranks:

#30 in EPA/att (-0.24)
#30 in YPA (6.0)
#32 in TD rate (1.8%)

I take it you watched the six games DJ played in. I also take it you saw that the OL was on a record pace for sacks and that doesn't even include hits and hurries. You can cite all the stats you want, there isn't a QB in the league that can play well under constant duress like Jones did. You are entitled to your anti-DJ campaign but let's not get too carried away. I guess you're just of the belief that an offensive line isn't important to a QBs success .