News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Isaiah Simmons, where he could prove to be an asset in Bowen's defense

Started by MightyGiants, July 08, 2024, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

One of the thing Bowen likes to do is simulate pressure but rush 4.  When you do that, you will often drop one of your regular 4 rushers into coverage and substitute in a LB or DB.  Simmons is a pretty good blitzer/pass rusher.   He could be the player that rushes the QB in those simulated pressures, or at least will be someone offenses will have to account for when Bowen does the simulated pressure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

I don't think you could have found anybody more fired up about Isaiah Simmons coming out of college than me.  I thought for SURE this guy was going to be a special talent.  Whoops. I do think he can be an asset in the sense that he's a solid role player but I think the ship has sailed on whether this guy is going to be a great player. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 08, 2024, 10:48:18 AMI don't think you could have found anybody more fired up about Isaiah Simmons coming out of college than me.  I thought for SURE this guy was going to be a special talent.  Whoops. I do think he can be an asset in the sense that he's a solid role player but I think the ship has sailed on whether this guy is going to be a great player. 

I was always hesitant about Simmons.  He was extremely athletic, and his versatility earned him the Swiss Army knife label.  What troubled me is I didn't see a natural NFL position that could be his bread and butter natural position.  Without a base position, all the other stuff is just icing without a cake.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Interesting.

In those instances, which of our primary four rushers would drop back into coverage?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 08, 2024, 10:53:39 AMI was always hesitant about Simmons.  He was extremely athletic, and his versatility earned him the Swiss Army knife label.  What troubled me is I didn't see a natural NFL position that could be his bread and butter natural position.  Without a base position, all the other stuff is just icing without a cake.

This is well stated.

I have similar views myself, but am frankly unsure about him. It's impossible to not like his physical attributes, and he's still just 25. On the other hand, I share your concerns.

Maybe it all just nets out to him being a decent player who has plusses and minuses to his game.

Also, 25 is definitely young but it's not spring chicken young. He's running out of years to have a legit breakout.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 08, 2024, 11:20:38 AMThis is well stated.

I have similar views myself, but am frankly unsure about him. It's impossible to not like his physical attributes, and he's still just 25. On the other hand, I share your concerns.

Maybe it all just nets out to him being a decent player who has plusses and minuses to his game.

Also, 25 is definitely young but it's not spring chicken young. He's running out of years to have a legit breakout.

His PFF grades show some promise

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 08, 2024, 11:37:14 AMHis PFF grades show some promise

Rich: Here's the case for completely ignoring Simmons' PFF grades... he has played different positions (and combinations of positions) each year.  With no consistency in what he was being asked to do each year, it is nearly meaningless to attempt to relate PFF grades from one year to another. IMO.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

ILB who blitzes from there, fills holes on running plays, pursues and drops back from there.  Leave him there.

kingm56

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 08, 2024, 10:48:18 AMI don't think you could have found anybody more fired up about Isaiah Simmons coming out of college than me.  I thought for SURE this guy was going to be a special talent.  Whoops. I do think he can be an asset in the sense that he's a solid role player but I think the ship has sailed on whether this guy is going to be a great player. 

The Giants (and the NFL) share your thoughts, my friend.  Hence, the 1-year/nominal deal.  This board spends a lot of time talking about a player who's unlikely to be on the roster next season.  At this point in his career, he's a role player. The Giants have more money invested in Nick McCloud, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, and Jordan Phillips...

BluesCruz

He could prove to be one but I really don't like zone defense....I hope this guy knows what he is doing

I liked Wink.  It just seemed Daboll and Wink were a bad marriage.  Wish that was not the case.

I expect we will struggle on D until this new system has time to take root.  If we can just stop the run I will breathe easier
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

files58

When Simmons joined the NFL I envisioned him as a Brad Van Pelt type of LB. If memory serves correctly, Van Pelt played Safety at Michigan State.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on July 08, 2024, 01:36:11 PMWhen Simmons joined the NFL I envisioned him as a Brad Van Pelt type of LB. If memory serves correctly, Van Pelt played Safety at Michigan State.

You are correct, here is a good article about that

https://www.discountmags.com/magazine/the-giant-insider-october-18-2020-digital-m/in-this-issue/5f85a2ce4cd47
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE