News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Breaking down episode two of Hard Knocks

Started by DaveBrown74, July 09, 2024, 09:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The smile on Bowen's face when Daboll mentioned Tyler Nuben

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

https://x.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1811043142818484392

Assumed it was, but nice to get verification that shows it is all Daboll's offense.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 09, 2024, 11:12:23 PMI don't know how what we saw implies that conclusion.  I don't think the Pats had any intention of trading the #3 and I don't think the Giants had any intention of making a mega offer to get that pick.  "some degree" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

I'm just simply making the point that it is now beyond debate that they had interest in the pick, and the only reason to do that would be to select a QB to be Jones' replacement. There have been some who have been in total denial that there was ever even any contact or even minor interest.

MightyGiants

Did anyone capture Schoen's reaction when Daboll talked about how even he will lose it as the head coach.  It's about the 21:30 mark of the show.  Daboll is talking to Nabers (after Nabers says he doesn't take it well when the balls are not coming his way) and Daboll is talking how everyone will lose it from time to time and that even he as the head coach will do it.   Schoen did a double take when Dabol said that, and Schoen smiled and patted Daboll on the shoulder.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 10, 2024, 03:35:26 PMI'm just simply making the point that it is now beyond debate that they had interest in the pick, and the only reason to do that would be to select a QB to be Jones' replacement. There have been some who have been in total denial that there was ever even any contact or even minor interest.

If you say so.  I don't recall any of that and I see no sign that there was any serious effort to induce the Pats to trade the pick.  And in the actual event they didn't.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 10, 2024, 03:39:47 PMIf you say so.  I don't recall any of that and I see no sign that there was any serious effort to induce the Pats to trade the pick.  And in the actual event they didn't.

"Look, I wasn't seriously considering cheating on my wife. I just let another woman know I'd be potentially interested (but I didn't give it serious effort). And it didn't go anywhere. So, no harm, no foul."

MightyGiants

Did anyone notice the bedding under Schoen's desk?  Looks like he has spent nights in the office
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 10, 2024, 03:17:04 PMhttps://x.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1811043142818484392

Assumed it was, but nice to get verification that shows it is all Daboll's offense.

I am not surprised.  I heard far too many former Buffalo players talk about their familiarity with the offense when they can to the Giants.  I assume that Kafka got to add a few things, but it was clearly the Daboll system.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 10, 2024, 12:56:54 AMMy initial thought is man, Schoen is making Barkley look horrible. Barkley said the Giants didn't offer, and he went to Philly for one million more. At least that is what it seems to me, could have read it wrong.

Jess,

I want to wait until we see how it plays out before passing judgment
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 10, 2024, 03:38:52 PMDid anyone capture Schoen's reaction when Daboll talked about how even he will lose it as the head coach.  It's about the 21:30 mark of the show.  Daboll is talking to Nabers (after Nabers says he doesn't take it well when the balls are not coming his way) and Daboll is talking how everyone will lose it from time to time and that even he as the head coach will do it.   Schoen did a double take when Dabol said that, and Schoen smiled and patted Daboll on the shoulder.
The best want to win, thibs has this mindset as well as Nabors. I want as many guys that hate losing more than they enjoy Winning. I want guys that are alphas, guys that know they are the best and want to embarrass you.

Philosophers

Every guy in the NFL wants to win.  The folks who b!tch they are not getting the ball need to get their head examined as that is immaturity plain and simple.  That is more about them than the team.  Let the QB know in private (huddle) you were open but don't go showing him or anybody up. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 10, 2024, 04:37:02 PMI am not surprised.  I heard far too many former Buffalo players talk about their familiarity with the offense when they can to the Giants.  I assume that Kafka got to add a few things, but it was clearly the Daboll system.

I'm not surprised either, but what exactly is Kafka's role? OC is a serious job, and this isn't a school.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 10, 2024, 06:29:40 PMThe best want to win, thibs has this mindset as well as Nabors. I want as many guys that hate losing more than they enjoy Winning. I want guys that are alphas, guys that know they are the best and want to embarrass you.

I agree with you. Some may find Nabors' answers in the interview off-putting compared to say Odunze and Harrison, who seemed more low key and supportive.

I don't like guys who get pissed when they don't get the ball because they care just about their stats and their next contract and don't care about winning. It's a small sample size, but I didn't get that impression with Nabers. I can't say I've heard him talk enough to really know for sure, but I found him credible when he said he hated losing. And I think his wanting the ball primarily has to do with him knowing he's the best offensive weapon on the field, and him wanting the ball because he wants to win.

Does he ultimately want to get paid? Of course. Who doesn't? But I think this guy wants to win. Until I see clear reason to think otherwise, that is what my impression is.

You don't just have a college career like what he had at a place like LSU by being lazy and a me-only guy. This isn't just a talented guy who flashed for one year and that was it. This isn't Kadarius Toney. This guy is a serious player.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 10, 2024, 07:55:20 PMI agree with you. Some may find Nabors' answers in the interview off-putting compared to say Odunze and Harrison, who seemed more low key and supportive.

I don't like guys who get pissed when they don't get the ball because they care just about their stats and their next contract and don't care about winning. It's a small sample size, but I didn't get that impression with Nabers. I can't say I've heard him talk enough to really know for sure, but I found him credible when he said he hated losing. And I think his wanting the ball primarily has to do with him knowing he's the best offensive weapon on the field, and him wanting the ball because he wants to win.

Does he ultimately want to get paid? Of course. Who doesn't? But I think this guy wants to win. Until I see clear reason to think otherwise, that is what my impression is.

You don't just have a college career like what he had at a place like LSU by being lazy and a me-only guy. This isn't just a talented guy who flashed for one year and that was it. This isn't Kadarius Toney. This guy is a serious player.
Yeah I don't care what he does outside of football if he's that guy every Sunday. Gonna need a good ass Qb to feed all our wrs to keep them happy. No doubt in my mind with the right qb, Wandale, Hyatt, and Nabors could be elite/special.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 10, 2024, 07:51:38 PMI'm not surprised either, but what exactly is Kafka's role? OC is a serious job, and this isn't a school.

There is more to being an offensive coordinator than establishing the vocabulary and general offensive concepts.   On a weekly basis, the OC develops a list of plays for the upcoming opponent, which is commonly known as the game plan.  The offensive game plan for the week is also being installed.  Finally, there is the gameday play calling. 

I would think Kafka is involved in developing the weekly game plan with Daboll.  I would think Kafka is responsible for installing the game plan.  With Daboll talking over playcalling, I would assume the new assistant head coach would backfill a few of Daboll's duties, but I can't say which ones.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE