News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why was Jaylen Hyatt so hit or miss last season

Started by MightyGiants, July 12, 2024, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

From Duggan's article behind the Athletic's paywall

WR Jalin Hyatt: There was a lot of chatter about Hyatt being a one-trick pony coming out of Tennessee. His rookie year did nothing to dispel that notion. Of Hyatt's 40 targets, 38 percent traveled at least 30 yards in the air. That was the highest deep target rate of any receiver in the league with at least 14 targets. The problem was the inconsistency of his impact. He was held without a catch in seven games and produced 73 percent of his 373 yards in three games. He needs to continue developing to become a consistent, reliable weapon.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5606885/2024/07/11/giants-roster-training-camp-preview/?source=emp_shared_article
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 09:41:26 AMFrom Duggan's article behind the Athletic's paywall

WR Jalin Hyatt: There was a lot of chatter about Hyatt being a one-trick pony coming out of Tennessee. His rookie year did nothing to dispel that notion. Of Hyatt's 40 targets, 38 percent traveled at least 30 yards in the air. That was the highest deep target rate of any receiver in the league with at least 14 targets. The problem was the inconsistency of his impact. He was held without a catch in seven games and produced 73 percent of his 373 yards in three games. He needs to continue developing to become a consistent, reliable weapon.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5606885/2024/07/11/giants-roster-training-camp-preview/?source=emp_shared_article
I wonder how many targets did he have in those seven games.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Everything I read about Hyatt is his maturity and coachability.  Was he that far back developmentally?  Is there an issue with the complexity of the offense or inadequate WR coaching?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 12, 2024, 09:48:03 AMEverything I read about Hyatt is his maturity and coachability.  Was he that far back developmentally?  Is there an issue with the complexity of the offense or inadequate WR coaching?

Coming out of college, there was some that questions how much of the route tree he ran in college.  From what I saw in tape and in camp, he wasn't the crispest route runner.   He's got speed and routes where speed, rather than the sharpness of cuts, gives the receiver the advantage Hyatt excelled in.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 09:54:34 AMHere is his per game stats (including targets)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4692590/jalin-hyatt
Thanks Rich.

In four of those games, he had zero targets. In two games, he only had 1 target. It doesn't show how many snaps he played either.

Also have to look at play calling and whether he was the first read on those plays.

I hope he has a solid year as well because he can definitey be a threat.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 09:56:15 AMComing out of college, there was some that questions how much of the route tree he ran in college.  From what I saw in tape and in camp, he wasn't the crispest route runner.   He's got speed and routes where speed, rather than the sharpness of cuts, gives the receiver the advantage Hyatt excelled in.

How is that not coached into him in 1 season?  I mean how hard is it to explain a particular cut in a route?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 12, 2024, 10:22:36 AMHow is that not coached into him in 1 season?  I mean how hard is it to explain a particular cut in a route?

Route running is more than just knowing when to cut.  A WR needs to get low in his running stance so he can make a sharp, crisp cut. Ideally, you don't want to see the receiver chop his feet to slow down.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 10:30:43 AMRoute running is more than just knowing when to cut.  A WR needs to get low in his running stance so he can make a sharp, crisp cut. Ideally, you don't want to see the receiver chop his feet to slow down.

I understand that Rich but again how hard is that to teach?  Run low, when to cut, when you to look up at the ball, etc.  We make it sound like we are splitting the atom.  Are these kids that stupid?  ADHD cant remember it?  At some point let the talent play and rely on their skills at that moment.

spiderblue43

I didn't notice much improvement with Hyatt during the year or whether he could be a reliable #2 wr. That said, he simply may be only a depth piece as Nabers and Slayton should have the most targets..with WD in packages.

Like others have mentioned..he was invisible quite a lot and needs to grasp a lot more.

jgrangers2

The questions about his ability to run a full route tree were fair. His obvious ability was his speed as a deep threat and it's hard to utilize that well with an O-line that has trouble providing their QB time.

Philosophers

Is he making his cuts at different distances than the play cals for resulting in bad timing with the QB?  If yes I can see why there'd be a problem but again how is that not correctable?

Trench

He got plenty of consistent separation, but the QBs rarely went to him. When they did, usually good things happened

Philosophers

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 12, 2024, 12:11:39 PMIs he making his cuts at different distances than the play cals for resulting in bad timing with the QB?  If yes I can see why there'd be a problem but again how is that not correctable?

When I was trained to scout WRs, the thing I was taught to look for were sharp 90-degree cuts with minimal to no slowdown (or rounded routes).  What I noticed with Hyatt was he had to chop down his feet (to slow down) before making a 90-degree cut.  If a receiver needs to slow down, it's harder for them to get open.

I am not sure how much that issue impacts the timing with the QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE