News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why was Jaylen Hyatt so hit or miss last season

Started by MightyGiants, July 12, 2024, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 13, 2024, 03:38:25 AMIn a way, Nabers and Wan'dale may help him as they are more suited to checkdowns so he won't have to do what is not his strength.

AZRich: I also see it that way. Can't wait for this season to start (much more eager than last year). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on July 13, 2024, 11:57:15 AMSome of the color commentary people who did our games last year would beg to differ with your statement. They blatantly said it numerous times on air that we had open rescuers who were simply missed.

Being one of the worst teams in the league brought the worst broadcasting teams, the exception being the prime time games.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on July 13, 2024, 09:40:34 AMI also think our QBs didn't see him open many times as we saw on the film
Anyone who bought the NFL all 22 films as I did would know that he was open but circumstances prevented him from getting a target. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 13, 2024, 12:39:18 PMAnyone who bought the NFL all 22 films as I did would know that he was open but circumstances prevented him from getting a target. 

Out of curiosity, does your analysis of the all-22 lead you to believe that Jones failed to see open receivers he should have seen, or that it was more a case of him not having the time to be able to do so?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 13, 2024, 01:02:25 PMOut of curiosity, does your analysis of the all-22 lead you to believe that Jones failed to see open receivers he should have seen, or that it was more a case of him not having the time to be able to do so?
I recall Jones didn't have time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 13, 2024, 09:54:35 AMPlus as Daboll said, an open receiver (especially the case with the Giants) may be open because they ran the wrong route.
He's open, however it happened. A QB with good field vision should see that.

It's like a point guard... always looking down court and watching plays develop, especially when the defense has shutdown your designed play.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 14, 2024, 08:44:32 AMHe's open, however it happened. A QB with good field vision should see that.

It's like a point guard... always looking down court and watching plays develop, especially when the defense has shutdown your designed play.

Tim,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you there. An important part of being a good quarterback is underappreciated (because it doesn't make highlight reels) is making plays within the structure (i.e., running the play as designed).   So if a QB is  (in the 2 seconds or so of time they have) scanning the field looking for wayward receivers instead of going through their progression, they are not doing their job.

Admittedly, there is value in QBs making plays out of structure, but that usually involves the play breaking down and then a QB ad-libbing.

I don't think a point guard is a good analogy because a point guard isn't under the time contrast, unlike an NFL quarterback after he snaps the ball.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 08:50:14 AMTim,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you there. An important part of being a good quarterback is underappreciated (because it doesn't make highlight reels) is making plays within the structure (i.e., running the play as designed).   So if a QB is looking for QBs (in the 2 seconds or so of time they have) scanning the field looking for wayward receivers instead of going through their progression, they are not doing their job.

Admittedly, there is value in QBs making plays out of structure, but that usually involves the play breaking down and then a QB ad-libbing.

I don't think a point guard is a good analogy because a point guard isn't under the time contrast, unlike an NFL quarterback after he snaps the ball.
Was it reported that he ran the wrong routes?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 14, 2024, 09:00:12 AMWas it reported that he ran the wrong routes?

It was reported by Bob Papa that he had a private conversation with Daboll.  Bob mentioned how he was hearing that Jones was missing open receivers.  Daboll responded that the people making that claim didn't know what they were talking about.  When they see a receiver open, often it is the result of running the wrong route.

That said, I believe that conversation was had prior to Hyatt joining the team.  Of course, with Hyatt being a rookie and considering how challenging it is for WRs to learn Daboll's offense, it's more than likely that Hyatt ran a wrong route or two over the course of the season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 08:50:14 AMTim,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you there. An important part of being a good quarterback is underappreciated (because it doesn't make highlight reels) is making plays within the structure (i.e., running the play as designed).   So if a QB is  (in the 2 seconds or so of time they have) scanning the field looking for wayward receivers instead of going through their progression, they are not doing their job.

Rich,

Your reframing what I said does not speak to what my point is, which is that the QB should have full field vision. Similar to a wide angle view of a camera and then zooming in to where he wants to go with the ball.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 14, 2024, 09:14:49 AMRich,

Your reframing what I said does not speak to what my point is, which is that the QB should have full field vision. Similar to a wide angle view of a camera and then zooming in to where he wants to go with the ball.

I am not reframing, I don't think you appreciate how a QB goes through his progression.  Each play (and it can change based on the coverage) has a targets in order.  So a QB checks his first target.  He decides if that target is open, if he is, he throws the ball.  If that target isn't open, he has to decide if he will be, or if he should move on to target number two and so on.  A QB can't be doing this and maintaining the wide-angle view you are talking about.  I mean, on rare occasions, as they are moving their eyes, they might spot an opportunity, but that's the exception, not the rule. 

I think the other thing worth noting is that the views we see on the field are considerably better than the view the QB has while trying see to through a helmet over and around men who are well over 6 foot wrestling.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 09:06:39 AMIt was reported by Bob Papa that he had a private conversation with Daboll.  Bob mentioned how he was hearing that Jones was missing open receivers.  Daboll responded that the people making that claim didn't know what they were talking about.  When they see a receiver open, often it is the result of running the wrong route.

That said, I believe that conversation was had prior to Hyatt joining the team.  Of course, with Hyatt being a rookie and considering how challenging it is for WRs to learn Daboll's offense, it's more than likely that Hyatt ran a wrong route or two over the course of the season.
So, no.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 09:33:23 AMActually, we don't really know one way or the other.
We don't know if it was reported?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 09:20:28 AMI am not reframing, I don't think you appreciate how a QB goes through his progression.  Each play (and it can change based on the coverage) has a targets in order.  So a QB checks his first target.  He decides if that target is open, if he is, he throws the ball.  If that target isn't open, he has to decide if he will be, or if he should move on to target number two and so on.  A QB can't be doing this and maintaining the wide-angle view you are talking about.  I mean, on rare occasions, as they are moving their eyes, they might spot an opportunity, but that's the exception, not the rule. 

I think the other thing worth noting is that the views we see on the field are considerably better than the view the QB has while trying see to through a helmet over and around men who are well over 6 foot wrestling.
When you said that a QB isn't doing his job if he's "scanning the field looking for wayward receivers instead of going through his progressions."

I said nothing of the sort.

Additionally, I fully understand a QB's progression for any given play. Having a full field view is similar to scanning the defense before the snap. The QB has a primary play and he audibles based on what he sees at the line.

By your reasoning, if the DB covering a QB's 2nd or 3rd read falls down, leaving the receiver open, the QB should still go through his progressions.

The QB's job is to find open receivers and move the ball down the field.