News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why was Jaylen Hyatt so hit or miss last season

Started by MightyGiants, July 12, 2024, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Kinda hard to get a deep threat catches when you refuse to go deep ever.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 12, 2024, 02:48:44 PMKinda hard to get a deep threat catches when you refuse to go deep ever.

Hyatt had what, 6 games with DJ?  So, who refused to "go deep ever"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

There are fast guys, there are quick guys, and there are the rare guys that are fast AND quick.  Hyatt falls into the first category, but it seems like the Giants did not play to his strengths and tried to use him for quick guy plays.  IMO
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 03:02:31 PMHyatt had what, 6 games with DJ?  So, who refused to "go deep ever"?
I wasn't referring to DJ. The offense went deep more with tyrod but it was still anemic regardless of the Qb the past 2 years.

coggs

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't Hyatt at one point thought to be a first rounder?  Then, when the Giants got him in the 3rd, it was seen as potentially the steal of the draft?  Maybe it was early in his last season in college he was thought of that highly, or maybe the very early mocks some guys will put out the week after the draft for the following year?  Regardless, maybe there is a reason he fell?

Ed Vette

Every target weeks 1-12.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Every Target weeks 14-18.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2024, 08:39:26 PMEvery target weeks 1-12.

I think this and the succeeding video perfectly make my point.  Hyatt can take the top off the defense, but he is not a guy who is going to take a short pass and turn it into a big play by juking and making guys miss.  And the Giants should use him accordingly.  It's the old thing of don't tell me what a guy can't do, tell me what a guy CAN do and then its the coaches' job to put him in a position to do that.

I'll also note that on the second video it seemed like the misconnections were mainly due to poor throws.

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 12, 2024, 09:08:58 PMI think this and the succeeding video perfectly make my point.  Hyatt can take the top off the defense, but he is not a guy who is going to take a short pass and turn it into a big play by juking and making guys miss.  And the Giants should use him accordingly.  It's the old thing of don't tell me what a guy can't do, tell me what a guy CAN do and then it's the coaches' job to put him in a position to do that.

I'll also note that on the second video it seemed like the misconnections were mainly due to poor throws.
Also penalties called back. Several throws were check downs and many passes were thrown late. Don't listen to the idiot commentary on some of those giving the QB credit.

There were a couple of contested plays where strength and weight training will help and a few drops. The best passes were by Daniel Jones and just watching the three QBs, it was clear that he's the best passer on the team. DeVito was late and short on several passes.

It's going to be interesting to see his development this year and if Nabors and he complement each other or if he gets buried because of Nabors.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2024, 10:13:57 PMAlso penalties called back. Several throws were check downs and many passes were thrown late. Don't listen to the idiot commentary on some of those giving the QB credit.

There were a couple of contested plays where strength and weight training will help and a few drops. The best passes were by Daniel Jones and just watching the three QBs, it was clear that he's the best passer on the team. DeVito was late and short on several passes.

It's going to be interesting to see his development this year and if Nabors and he complement each other or if he gets buried because of Nabors.

In a way, Nabers and Wan'dale may help him as they are more suited to checkdowns so he won't have to do what is not his strength.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I want to thank @Ed Vette for posting those videos.   What I saw from Hyatt as a rookie is what I saw in college.  Hyatt was getting open via his speed or the offensive scheme.   Hyatt wasn't asked to run many routes where his ability to change direction was used to create separation.

I suspect the answer to Hyatt being productive lies in the defense.  I wish I could have charts of the defensive coverages.  I think the games where Hyatt feasted likely had the defense playing a lot of 1 high safety looks.   In the games where Hyatt was less productive, defenses played more 2 high safety, which made it more difficult for Hyatt to get behind the coverage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 13, 2024, 08:05:26 AMI want to thank @Ed Vette for posting those videos.   What I saw from Hyatt as a rookie is what I saw in college.  Hyatt was getting open via his speed or the offensive scheme.   Hyatt wasn't asked to run many routes, and his ability to change direction was used to create separation.

I suspect the answer to Hyatt being productive lies in the defense.  I wish I could have charts of the defensive coverages.  I think the games where Hyatt feasted likely had the defense playing a lot of 1 high safety looks.   In the games where Hyatt was less productive, defenses played more 2 high safety, which made it more difficult for Hyatt to get behind the coverage.

I also think our QBs didn't see him open many times as we saw on the film

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on July 13, 2024, 09:40:34 AMI also think our QBs didn't see him open many times as we saw on the film

We really didn't see that.  Also, what fans see as open is distinctly different (according to NFL people) from the receivers actually being open.

A lot of time, fans think that if they see a receiver, they think is open, then the QB must have missed them.  That couldn't be further from the truth.   QBs are not randomly scanning the entire field looking for an open receiver, this isn't playground football.  Here is a former NFL QB explaining some of the basics of QB read progressions:

Plus as Daboll said, an open receiver (especially the case with the Giants) may be open because they ran the wrong route.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2024, 09:41:26 AMFrom Duggan's article behind the Athletic's paywall

WR Jalin Hyatt: There was a lot of chatter about Hyatt being a one-trick pony coming out of Tennessee. His rookie year did nothing to dispel that notion. Of Hyatt's 40 targets, 38 percent traveled at least 30 yards in the air. That was the highest deep target rate of any receiver in the league with at least 14 targets. The problem was the inconsistency of his impact. He was held without a catch in seven games and produced 73 percent of his 373 yards in three games. He needs to continue developing to become a consistent, reliable weapon.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5606885/2024/07/11/giants-roster-training-camp-preview/?source=emp_shared_article

Rich: The Hyatt "antidote" is obvious... don't play in front of him (stay always behind him or on his hip).

Teams who knew that shut him out. There were other factors playing a role too, but that "rule" held true.

That's why Giants desperately needed to draft a WR (and why Hyatt lasted so long in the draft).

Bob

PS. IMO his fortunes will improve noticeably now that we have what looks like a decent threat at #1 WR.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 13, 2024, 09:54:35 AMWe really didn't see that.  Also, what fans see as open is distinctly different (according to NFL people) from the receivers actually being open.

A lot of time, fans think that if they see a receiver, they think is open, then the QB must have missed them.  That couldn't be further from the truth.   QBs are not randomly scanning the entire field looking for an open receiver, this isn't playground football.  Here is a former NFL QB explaining some of the basics of QB read progressions:

Plus as Daboll said, an open receiver (especially the case with the Giants) may be open because they ran the wrong route.

Some of the color commentary people who did our games last year would beg to differ with your statement. They blatantly said it numerous times on air that we had open rescuers who were simply missed.