News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles/Roseman Salary Cap Manipulation through "Void Years"

Started by Jonesing for Jones, July 12, 2024, 07:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonesing for Jones

Query to the BBH community. It well documented that the Eagles GM has utilized "void years" to circumvent the notion of a "hard salary cap" in the NFL. The technique has been described by pundits as "going for it" or alternatively "kicking the can down the road". My question is there any constraint that the NFL applies to spreading cap hits to future years beyond a players expected career time line? Or can Howie Roseman sign free agents to 15 year contracts in perpetuity and in effect "never pay the bill"? 

uconnjack8

It's an interesting question and I dont have an answer. 

When I look at their contracts some of the nuances amaze me.

This is an explanation for Lane Jonhson's contact at overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/player

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jonesing for Jones on July 12, 2024, 07:23:27 PMQuery to the BBH community. It well documented that the Eagles GM has utilized "void years" to circumvent the notion of a "hard salary cap" in the NFL. The technique has been described by pundits as "going for it" or alternatively "kicking the can down the road". My question is there any constraint that the NFL applies to spreading cap hits to future years beyond a players expected career time line? Or can Howie Roseman sign free agents to 15 year contracts in perpetuity and in effect "never pay the bill"? 

Welcome  :greetings:  to answer your question here is the limit on void years

In the NFL, the maximum number of void years that can be added to a contract is five minus the number of years remaining on the player's current contract. Void years are contract years in which a player will not play, and they are used as placeholders for prorated signing bonus money.

I will say this, void years are not new, nor is it the only way teams can borrow future cap dollars.  While some in the media paint it like Howie Roseman has invented something new, teams like the Cowboys and Saints have been kicking the can down the road for years.

When the cap is rising quickly, as it has since the Covid recovery, it can seem like teams can kick the can down the road indefinitely.  The reality is that at some point the bill will come due.  Teams can seem to skate every season, but if you look closely, the kick-the-can down-the-road team will either suffer a series of seasons where they are cap-strapped (like Dallas) or they are in cap hell like the Saints. 

Usually, there is a core of players who borrow and power your team. When one or more of those players starts to fail, suddenly, the team generates lots of dead cap $$$, and it is in trouble.  Take the Eagles QB.  It's still undetermined what Hurts' career ark is.  It seems more likely he will be a franchise QB, but last season created some doubt.  If Hurts ends up being more limited than expected, the Eagles are in trouble, because they would be in cap hell for a couple of seasons trying to get that highly creative contract off their books.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jonesing for Jones

I see. Thanks Mighty Giant! The risk then is that a career shortened through injury or poor play results in an acceleration of those "void year placeholders" and a (unbudgeted) lump sum dead cap hit. This revelation certainly changes my view of Roseman. As my moniker suggests I am a proud DJ apologist primarily due to the consistently porous Oline he's been dealt. Our GM structured a contract that gave the team an out after 2 years (albeit with a $22 dead cap charge). It is certainly true that Jones will be well paid in this his final prove year. In my mind Hurts has enjoyed only one excellent season (2022). Last year I don't believe he played well at all. His supporting cast- WRs and Oline rivals any in the league.  Can you imagine the carnage on the Eagles cap if Hurts career arc follows Wentz's? Thank you Howie?