News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - 2024/25 New York Knickerbockers Season Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, July 13, 2024, 09:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I know the season just ended, but since I am so floored by the below story, I figured I might as well start the next season's thread today.

I am posting today because of what Brunson has done (see article below if you are not already aware).

I already loved and hugely respected this guy. But the below makes me respect him even more -- a lot more actually -- than I already did, which was already a lot. Just an incredible, team-first move on his part. What an example to the rest of the league, which is so full of selfish, me-first guys who sit 20 games a year out fully healthy and act like total divas all the time.

Major, major props to Brunson for this. Talk about a guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to maximize the team's chances of greatness. What a stud. What a great leader.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/12/sports/jalen-brunson-posts-message-to-knicks-fans-after-113m-contract-gift/

nb587

I agree 109%.  I think I read that Bridges is in a similar position or will be next year.  It will be interesting if he takes the same approach to team building that Brunson did.  It will also be interesting if other players do the same.

madbadger

Was it done to keep the Knicks from going above the second cap apron or is the plan to use the savings to be active in free agency? Either way it is a unique gesture in an era where athletes want to squeeze every penny out of their careers.

nb587

Knicks sign Cameron Payne.  He's a decent shooting guard who had some nice moments with the 76ers against the Knicks in the playoffs.  Signing could mean he's just part of the back of the bench like Shake Milton last year.  Or, assuming they're still looking for a center, they may have to give up Duece in a trade.   Or, they dont trust a rookie backing up Brunson for the start of the season

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: nb587 on July 16, 2024, 07:55:14 AMKnicks sign Cameron Payne.  He's a decent shooting guard who had some nice moments with the 76ers against the Knicks in the playoffs.  Signing could mean he's just part of the back of the bench like Shake Milton last year.  Or, assuming they're still looking for a center, they may have to give up Duece in a trade.   Or, they dont trust a rookie backing up Brunson for the start of the season

Good point. I keep waiting to see what the Knicks are going to do to replace IHart. It's coming, but Rose and company aren't looking for a "warm body", but someone who can become a stud. The team is going to have to give up something of value...something that hurts...to pull off a deal for a center they see as long term and solid. Deuce seems the most logical piece to be thrown into the mix of a trade...him and most of our draft capital for the next few years (or what's left of it after the Bridges deal)
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

DaveBrown74

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 16, 2024, 03:39:14 PMDecent low-impact depth pickup for sure.

Apparently, he was best friends with Bridges from their days together at Phoenix, and they remained besties after they were separated. So, chemistry should remain, which is always a concern when bringing in new faces
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 16, 2024, 07:23:02 PMApparently, he was best friends with Bridges from their days together at Phoenix, and they remained besties after they were separated. So, chemistry should remain, which is always a concern when bringing in new faces

Nice, I didn't know that. Chemistry is a big part of the current Knick roster model.

I remember this guy also being annoying in the Sixers series. He can come in off the bench and stick threes. That always helps. Also gives Thibs a little more flexibility to shave some minutes off Brunson's load on certain nights if he wants to (not that I want a dramatic reduction or anything).