News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has anyone looked at our Punts and Sacked totals for last season(s)

Started by BluesCruz, July 13, 2024, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Its a real eye opener.  We convert 3rd downs around 30% of the time.

Sacks last season we nearly set the all time NFL record in the high nineties and the closest team was 20 sacks below us

Punts taken were also in the top 3 teams of the league

No way to run an offense.  Really bad

I looked back 10 seasons on these two categories and we rarely rate even to the middle of the pack and are amongst the worse offenders year after year

The only team that consistently matches our misery is the Jets

The top ten least punt producing teams are also usually the best teams in the NFL year over year

Its no longer a league where a good defense alone can assure you success

It appears we need to emphasize offense much more seriously and get ourselves a QB and stout pass protecting Oline if our franchise is to thrive

The team that has the best punt/sack record overall the last 10 years is the Saints and they are always a tough team to take on.  Dallas stands out, as does SF, Philly, and KC in that same decade in these two categories

We have to change the dynamic and Mr Jones is a prime part of the issue.  He really struggles to avoid the rush and move the chains.  The Oline- really porous.

Evan Neal should definitely not start until he proves he has found a cure to his struggles. He is a turnstile.

I know this is all obvious to dedicated Giants fans but its galling nevertheless.  When is this going to improve?  How?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 13, 2024, 01:19:30 PMIts a real eye opener.  We convert 3rd downs around 30% of the time.

Sacks last season we nearly set the all time NFL record in the high nineties and the closest team was 20 sacks below us

Punts taken were also in the top 3 teams of the league

No way to run an offense.  Really bad

I looked back 10 seasons on these two categories and we rarely rate even to the middle of the pack and are amongst the worse offenders year after year

The only team that consistently matches our misery is the Jets

The top ten least punt producing teams are also usually the best teams in the NFL year over year

Its no longer a league where a good defense alone can assure you success

It appears we need to emphasize offense much more seriously and get ourselves a QB and stout pass protecting Oline if our franchise is to thrive

The team that has the best punt/sack record overall the last 10 years is the Saints and they are always a tough team to take on.  Dallas stands out, as does SF, Philly, and KC in that same decade in these two categories

We have to change the dynamic and Mr Jones is a prime part of the issue.  He really struggles to avoid the rush and move the chains.  The Oline- really porous.

Evan Neal should definitely not start until he proves he has found a cure to his struggles. He is a turnstile.

I know this is all obvious to dedicated Giants fans but its galling nevertheless.  When is this going to improve?  How?

Yet some will continue to say the D deserves a lot of the blame.  The O seemed to be among the NFL History's worst with stats you noted.

AZGiantFan

And yet the Giants were middle of the pack at TOP with a 29.26 average.  Largely, IMO because the defense could not stop the run.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 13, 2024, 05:08:26 PMAnd yet the Giants were middle of the pack at TOP with a 29.26 average.  Largely, IMO because the defense could not stop the run.

I think when you are failing to move the chains like this it puts pressure on the whole team.  Offense, Defense, Special Teams....we need to put the QB in 3rd and short situations far more often.   Passing from 3rd and 10-12 yds is a recipe for disaster

I hope this new RB room is a force not a bunch of dancers

Jones needs to run a hurry up offense and the line needs to open holes on 1st and 2nd downs.  Jones is not good at moving in the pocket and surveying the field.....he just isn't.  Barkley was too easy to bring down.  He was a very large muscular scat back.  Arm tackles brought him down.

We need a bruising running game for Jones to thrive. and short yardage 3rd downs
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 13, 2024, 05:08:26 PMAnd yet the Giants were middle of the pack at TOP with a 29.26 average.  Largely, IMO because the defense could not stop the run.

Middle of the pack for TOP when the defense led the league in takeaways.  31 extra possessions which should give a team the ball a minimum of 2 minutes.   

2 extra possessions/game and they possessed the ball for less than half the game.

uconnjack8

To the OP, there has been a lot of discussion here about the sacks and historic rate they occurred. 

I don't recall any discussion of punts, but it shouldn't be a surprise given the sack discussion.

The offense was putrid in an era where even mediocre offenses can move the ball regularly between the 20s.