News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - OMG Go To SoFi Stadium

Started by Philosophers, July 13, 2024, 10:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

This stadium is unbelievable.  Great design, amazing fan flow, so easy to buy things.

You will see how badly the Giants and Jets missed.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 13, 2024, 10:37:02 PMThis stadium is unbelievable.  Great design, amazing fan flow, so easy to buy things.

You will see how badly the Giants and Jets missed.

The Giants play in the ugliest (inside and out) stadium I could ever imagine.  Getting in and out is much harder than the stadium it replaced.   Buying things, well, if you are willing to wait in long lines...

Plus considering how cheap TVs are, they certainly could have used more so that fans didn't miss the action while waiting in the long lines for the food and the bathrooms
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

I just googled it. It looks pretty slick.  Next time I'm in the area, I'll check it out. Agree with Rich
makes the Giants stadium look woeful.

Ed Vette

It's also the most expensive stadium built in the world at 5.5 Billion. Figure Metlife at 2 Billion with inflation to compare.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I went with my wife to see the Rolling Stones at SoFi.  The architecture is dazzling both inside and outside.  It has a roof that is not attached to the stadium but instead is supported by 37 columns then inside the huge video monitor is secured to it and its weight holds down the roof.  There are 3 openings between the stadium and roof to let outside breeze into the stadium to control the climate as it is not climate controlled.

Inside it not like most stadiums with walking oaths around the inside for fans to walk.  No, there are multiple levels around which makes it very spacious and airy to walk around.

Seats have plenty of legroom to sit.  The sound is amazing inside as well.

There is no justification for such a poor effort to build Meadowlands Stadium.

My only beef is parking is really expensive at $100 per vehicle.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 14, 2024, 08:58:55 AMIt's also the most expensive stadium built in the world at 5.5 Billion. Figure Metlife at 2 Billion with inflation to compare.

Is that $5.5 billion just for the stadium or for the entire complex?  From what I understand, that project involved more than just a stadium.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 07:44:27 AMThe Giants play in the ugliest (inside and out) stadium I could ever imagine.  Getting in and out is much harder than the stadium it replaced.   Buying things, well, if you are willing to wait in long lines...

Plus considering how cheap TVs are, they certainly could have used more so that fans didn't miss the action while waiting in the long lines for the food and the bathrooms

The design would have turned out a lot nicer if the architect didn't have to worry about being certain that Jimmy Hoffa would be completely covered. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 14, 2024, 11:03:11 AMThe design would have turned out a lot nicer if the architect didn't have to worry about being certain that Jimmy Hoffa would be completely covered. Bob

LOL! yeah, I am old enough to remember the rumor and who Jimmy Hoffa was.   

On a serious note, Metlife Stadium is a monument to compromise. The Giants wanted a stadium with modern retro luck.  The Jets wanted one of those futuristic-looking stadiums full of glass and chrome.  The eyesore that was selected was the compromise the two teams reached.  ::)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 10:41:56 AMIs that $5.5 billion just for the stadium or for the entire complex?  From what I understand, that project involved more than just a stadium.

Immediately adjacent is the 6,000 seat Youtube Theater for concert venues which I assume was included in the $5.5 B cost.

The place is also insanely clean.

I'd add an indoor photo if I could figure out how to do it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 14, 2024, 11:10:24 AMImmediately adjacent is the 6,000 seat Youtube Theater for concert venues which I assume was included in the $5.5 B cost.

The place is also insanely clean.

I'd add an indoor photo if I could figure out how to do it.

Hit the "reply" bottom under the last post, rather than use the box at the bottom.  At the bottom of the text box click on "Click or drag files here to attach them."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 14, 2024, 10:41:56 AMIs that $5.5 billion just for the stadium or for the entire complex?  From what I understand, that project involved more than just a stadium.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoFi_Stadium
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

It's not the amount or when it was built but the end result.  Cowboys stadium was built before Giants and it is superior.

HKS paid attention to important details in their design guided by an owner with a concept.  As one example, a ceiling that is open on 3 sides to create airflow and to capture onshore ocean breezes is brilliant.

Philosophers

Here is a good photo from my attendance yesterday showing some of the interesting elements inside the stadium such as the ceiling, one of the openings from the west to allow ocean breezes, the huge video/audio holding down the roof.

Hadron

I've been to AT&T Stadium (Jerry World) multiple times. Light years ahead of Metlife. What a joke. Two NFL teams and that's the best they could manage?

kartanoman

I agree that SoFi Stadium is the ideal design as far as beautiful architecture and optimization for the surrounding Southern California vicinity and the fan experience. When you have ideal sunny Southern Californian weather with blue skies and temps in the mid to upper 70s, it makes for the ideal fan experience.

I have to admit that, even though it is now 18 years old, the State Farm Stadium here in the Valley of the Sun (Glendale, AZ) is an outstanding multi-function stadium that is an excellent site to watch a football game. This stadium design would have worked very well for the Giants and Jets, except perhaps the moveable stadium grass from outside to inside given the weather; however, building a stadium field "greenhouse" might be a necessary cost addition, but the field could house the grass or a synthetic turf if the grass isn't yet game-ready. In that case, the Giants could purchase their own grass field and greenhouse while the Jets also purchase one for theirs. Nope, instead, we get "The Sardine Can!"

Oh, how I miss the old Giants Stadium! In fact, last night, I actually had a dream I was at a Giants game with my daughter at the old Giants Stadium (NOTE: she was born in 2014) and we hung out in one of the tunnels behind one of the end zones waiting for the players to enter after the game. It was hilarious as I saw Parcells and yelled to him. He put up his hand to acknowledge but he had his head down, as if in deep thought, and walked on. But then I saw the Manning family (Wait, what season did Parcells coach Manning?). I got Archie Manning up close and personal with handshakes and high-five's and I accidentally called him Cooper. I got a  :no: and felt  :confused: about it and he moved on. Then came Peyton whom everyone was high-fiving and it was clear he was rock star status. He wasn't playing, just dressed in civvies, but I got a high-five and a "Yo-Peyton" in before asking "Where's Eli" and he pointed behind him. As he moved on, I saw Eli, who then turned and went in another direction, I woke up. Pretty strange stuff but pretty cool as well.

All in the old Giants Stadium, which I'd take over all of these fancy new stadia if I had a vote.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)