News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who helps a QB more?

Started by MightyGiants, July 15, 2024, 02:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It's hard to make a hard money comparison because the Eagle's contract with Barkley has a ton of void years to spread out the cap hit.

So I will admit I took liberties to create this comparison.

What helps the Giants QB more?

Saquan Barkley

OR

Devin Singletary and Jon Runyan, Jr. (or if you like sub in Jermaine Eluemunor)

Which choice provides more help to the NY Giants QB (likely Daniels)?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

We saw Saquon's impact over the last few years.

I'd have to see how the replacements do before I can say who helps DJ more.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

I equate the loss of SB and McKinney to signing our #3 Cap Hit Burns. Singletary doesn't replace Barkley but the Oline additions hopefully will benefit Jones.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

I don't remember the name of this RB.  A few years ago, Barkley got hurt and the Giants played a journeyman at RB who ended ups with a better yards per carry than Barkley had with the same OL.  At the time I thought the difference was that the journeyman ran north south and Barkley lost yards running wide to the sideline. 

Does anyone remember the guys name and does that experience have any meaning now?

Ed Vette

Maybe defenses won't load the Box anymore to stop the run. I know that this move benefits Barkley the most.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 15, 2024, 03:05:51 PMI equate the loss of SB and McKinney to signing our #3 Cap Hit Burns. Singletary doesn't replace Barkley but the Oline additions hopefully will benefit Jones.

Ed,

Based on what we saw in Hard Knocks, it seemed Schoen was arguing the money saved by not signing Barkley would go to the offensive line (plus, obviously, a replacement).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Anyone who protects him more as it is a passing league.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on July 15, 2024, 03:08:49 PMI don't remember the name of this RB.  A few years ago, Barkley got hurt and the Giants played a journeyman at RB who ended ups with a better yards per carry than Barkley had with the same OL.  At the time I thought the difference was that the journeyman ran north south and Barkley lost yards running wide to the sideline. 

Does anyone remember the guys name and does that experience have any meaning now?

Wayne Gallman?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

I don't think it was Gallman.  It was a few years ago when Barkley got hurt.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on July 18, 2024, 01:51:05 PMI don't think it was Gallman.  It was a few years ago when Barkley got hurt.

The only other possibilities I can think of

Alfred Morris
Devontae Booker
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

There's a little more to it than that for me, like is Barkley playing behind mostly the same OL as last year if he stays? Does the Burns contract get impacted by a Barkley contract as in does that make Burns off the table if they sign Barkley? 

But even with that being said, if you gave me the choice of Singletary and Runyan or Barkley I still think I take Singletary and Runyan.  They've had Barkley for a few years now and while he's looked great whenever he's healthy they haven't done a lot of winning with him in large part because the OL hasn't been able to block anybody.  To me the drop off from Runyan to Glowinski is significant. The dropoff from Barkley to Singletary less so.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 18, 2024, 02:07:29 PMTo me the drop off from Runyan to Glowinski is significant.

I am interested in this comment. Why do you feel this way? I'm not saying you're wrong at all, because I don't know that, but can you point to what you're looking at that makes you conclude this? If it's simply because Schoen moved on from Glowinski and then went out and got Runyan and is paying him more, that may be a perfectly legitimate reason to conclude or at least strongly assume he's better, but is there anything in the actual data that gives you confidence that Runyan is significantly better than Glowinski, as you state above?

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2024, 03:54:50 PMWayne Gallman?

It was Gallman who in 15 games in 2020 had 10 starts in Barkley's absence in which he gained 662 yards on 147 Att, a 4.6 Yds per Av, 6 TDs/36 1Ds. Although a smaller sample, Gallman's Y/A that season exceeded Barkley's career average with a higher Succ% (51.7) than Barkley had in any of his 6 seasons for what it's worth.

Cheers!

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 18, 2024, 02:27:44 PMI am interested in this comment. Why do you feel this way? I'm not saying you're wrong at all, because I don't know that, but can you point to what you're looking at that makes you conclude this? If it's simply because Schoen moved on from Glowinski and then went out and got Runyan and is paying him more, that may be a perfectly legitimate reason to conclude or at least strongly assume he's better, but is there anything in the actual data that gives you confidence that Runyan is significantly better than Glowinski, as you state above?

Mostly pass protection.  Runyan is very good, Glowinski not so much.  We watched him for a full season be part of one of the worst OL's in recent memory (which is saying something for this team) while Runyan has been consistently good and durable. 

Glowinski was battling it out with the likes of Ben Bredeson/Marcus McKethan/Shane Lemieux and Justin Pugh off the couch, whereas if Runyan would have been on the roster last year he's the clear starter for every game he's healthy and there's no looking around for somebody else to save this pathetic OL.

That's not to say Runyan is an all world type of talent, he's just a lot better than the slop they've had at guard the past few seasons.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 15, 2024, 03:05:51 PMI equate the loss of SB and McKinney to signing our #3 Cap Hit Burns. Singletary doesn't replace Barkley but the Oline additions hopefully will benefit Jones.

how do you know Singletary does not replace Barkley.  I'm hoping he will be a better RB.  Lets give the guy a chance
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"