News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Report- Mara not the meddler some fans claim

Started by MightyGiants, July 16, 2024, 09:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on July 18, 2024, 10:38:35 AMSo why is Jones still on the team then?

Because Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll do not share your opinions of Daniel Jones, we saw on the HK preview.

Schoen:  "If we don't get a quarterback here, we are going to roll with Daniel and try to get him a weapon.  Are you (Daboll) good with that?"

Daboll:  A strong "yup"

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

^

Do you have a similar quote for why Shep was on the roster in 2024? (The guy should have been cut 3 years ago).

BluesCruz

Michael Penix Jr was still on the board I believe

The best "thrower of a football" Phil Simms has ever seen....per Phil

Its going to be very embarrassing if Penix blows up the league

We picked 6th and Penix went #8 to Atlanta

Penix threw for 13000 plus yds in college
Daniel Jones 8200

Penix went to NCAA college football championship game.   There is no comparison
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kartanoman

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 18, 2024, 09:44:51 AMMy wish list for the season is beat Dallas, and Philly

It is not only my wish, it is my IMPERATIVE!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

Quote from: kartanoman on July 18, 2024, 11:18:05 AMIt is not only my wish, it is my IMPERATIVE!

Peace!

We are definitely an improved team- Nabors, Singletary, Burns to name a few
We might be dynamite    We are due
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: Fletch on July 18, 2024, 10:09:58 AMWait so all things that have happened you had to still pick on that thing?

Mara was right to fire Mcadoo. He isn't a real NFL coach. That holds true for Shurmur also. The fact that he benched Eli I am sure was not the only reason for Mcadoo getting fired. It was also a pretty darn good one, however. You had 3 QBs on the roster -- so you pick Geno Smith to start the game and say the reason was you wanted to evaluate other QB talent on the team?

Geno smith played 5 seasons in the NFL since then; 2 other teams; started as the Jets QB for years. It was not until age 32 that he got it together as NFL QB, and how much credit for that should Coach carol and the Seahawks get? Russ Wilson gets traded and gets cut for a 50-mil cap hit and played himself out of the HOF basically since leaving the Seahawks.

I also can't help but notice, coaches who can't coach just love running QBs like Shurmur and Mcadoo wanted Geno Smith and Daniel Jones to start over Eli Manning. And good coaches like Sean Payton will cut a Russ Wilson and take a 50-million-dollar cap hit.

One brings nothing to the table as an offensive mind as far at strategy and technique is concerned and can just hide behind a QB and tell him basically "go out there and play" while the other, can't stand when the plays and execution aren't going as designed.
Mara didn't interfere with the decision to bench Eli for Geno. But that decision was the straw that broke the camel's back. If he was meddling, there would be excuses for not firing three HC's after two years. They lived and died by their own decisions and incompetence.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

I've said this before. The one constant that's been here since the team started sucking is Mara and it bugs the you know what out of me that Mara family people are and have been in high level positions.  I have no idea what McConnell brings to the table or what Chris Mara did (or does).  Him going to the Kentucky Derby in the middle of the draft when he was in charge is one of the most mind blowing events in Giants history.

I want to go off topic and ask a question.  I am very surprised at the puniness of Schoen's office.  It looks like the office of a middle manager in a small company.  He's the GM of a multibillion organization.  Has anyone else had a similar thought?

T200

Quote from: nb587 on July 18, 2024, 02:00:23 PMI've said this before. The one constant that's been here since the team started sucking is Mara and it bugs the you know what out of me that Mara family people are and have been in high level positions.  I have no idea what McConnell brings to the table or what Chris Mara did (or does).  Him going to the Kentucky Derby in the middle of the draft when he was in charge is one of the most mind blowing events in Giants history.

I want to go off topic and ask a question.  I am very surprised at the puniness of Schoen's office.  It looks like the office of a middle manager in a small company.  He's the GM of a multibillion organization.  Has anyone else had a similar thought?
Have you seen the stadium? Style and opulence don't fit them  =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 18, 2024, 10:46:10 AMBecause Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll do not share your opinions of Daniel Jones, we saw on the HK preview.

Schoen:  "If we don't get a quarterback here, we are going to roll with Daniel and try to get him a weapon.  Are you (Daboll) good with that?"

Daboll:  A strong "yup"

Rich,

Is it a conspiracy theory to assert that Schoen's apparent unwillingness to spread Jones' exorbitant 2024 cap hit out over future seasons is a clear sign that they want to preserve the ability to cut him as painlessly as possible after the 2024 season? Or is that a reasonable assertion?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 18, 2024, 05:03:48 PMRich,

Is it a conspiracy theory to assert that Schoen's apparent unwillingness to spread Jones' exorbitant 2024 cap hit out over future seasons is a clear sign that they want to preserve the ability to cut him as painlessly as possible after the 2024 season? Or is that a reasonable assertion?

It is not a conspiracy theory; it is more like not fully appreciating the salary cap and the situation.  First, DJ's "exorbitant 2024 cap hit" is partly the result of DJ's contract already having been used as a vehicle for borrowing money last year.  I had some Twitter debates with fans last week about this topic.  I told them to look at the AAV (Average Annual Salary), and the stubborn, ignorant fans insisted that number didn't matter.  Yet on HK all Schoen talked about was AAV.  So, circling back to DJ's contract, his AAV is $40 million.  Yet this year, it's $48 mil because Schoen used DJ's contract to borrow money for the 2022 season (which is why DJ's cap hit is above his $40 mil this season.

Second there is a stubborn belief even by people who should know better that the player used to borrow future cap dollars matters.  The reality is the only thing that matters is how much and from what seasons are you borrowing the money.  There are so many ways to borrow money that what players is tied to scheme is effectively meaningless.  If Schoen wanted more money, he could rework DJ's, AT's, or Dex's contracts.  He could have back-loaded Burn's contract to do the borrowing.

There is zero reason to think that Schoen not borrowing more future cap money via DJ is an indication of what he thinks of the player.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

His meddling is not direct like an Al Davis or Steinbrenner. It's the M.O of the organization as it has been run forever. Conservative. Stodgy. Low risk. Unless planes circle the stadium with banners about lousy football there is no urgency for change.