News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What would you consider a successful season?

Started by LennG, July 16, 2024, 07:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I asked this in another thread but I would like to ask it to all, record wise what record would make the 2024 season be considered successful?

Do we just need to show improvement, is that enough?
Would 7-10, 8-9 be successful especially for coach Daboll?

Granted we were putrid last year. Myself I always felt a successful season is playing meaningful games in December. I could live with 8-9 if we started out slow and finished with a bang.

Having a winning record come the end of the season I would be overjoyed and welcome coach Daboll back.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

10+ wins would be successful for me.

I don't need them to make the playoffs but 10-plus wins tells me they were not lucky but actually played well and beat some decent teams.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

It a good question, Lenn. I agree with Tim, with one caveat:

10+ wins OR 14+ losses; if the former happens...GREAT, we're on the right track; if the latter occurs, we'll have a chance to draft a franchise QB.  What I fear is a 6-to-8 win season, which ensures our continued mediocrity. 

BluesCruz

I enjoy every game win or lose, except where we are getting blown out which rarely happens

I see a flawed incomplete young team. They likely will finish mediocre but who knows what will happen if we get on a roll
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

bamagiantfan

Quote from: LennG on July 16, 2024, 07:01:40 PMI asked this in another thread but I would like to ask it to all, record wise what record would make the 2024 season be considered successful?

Do we just need to show improvement, is that enough?
Would 7-10, 8-9 be successful especially for coach Daboll?

Granted we were putrid last year. Myself I always felt a successful season is playing meaningful games in December. I could live with 8-9 if we started out slow and finished with a bang.

Having a winning record come the end of the season I would be overjoyed and welcome coach Daboll back.

That's it for me. If we could have meaningful games in December and avoid a coaching change (again) that is a successful season for me. One addition would be that Daniel Jones ends the conversation about whether he is the QB of the future.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Gman329

Over 500.  Finish 9-8 and I'll feel like we're heading in the right direction.

kartanoman

NO Head or Assistant Coach firings!

NO callings for hanging John Mara in effigy!

NO crack remarks about free medium Pepsis!.

The throwback 100th anniversary uniforms become a good luck charm and the Giants petition the league to wear them all season at home.

The Giants only use ONE kicker this year.

The team stays RELATIVELY healthy.

Give us all that, regardless of W-L record and, as long as Daboll has them fighting hard, I'll be a happy camper.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 16, 2024, 07:06:56 PM10+ wins would be successful for me.

I don't need them to make the playoffs but 10-plus wins tells me they were not lucky but actually played well and beat some decent teams.

With the extra wild card team added, I don't think we will see a 10-win team not make the playoffs (although with a 17-game season, 10 wins don't mean as much as they used to).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2024, 11:53:43 AMWith the extra wild card team added, I don't think we will see a 10-win team not make the playoffs (although with a 17-game season, 10 wins don't mean as much as they used to).
Good point about the extra WC. Get into the dance and anything is possible.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Painter

I suppose my minimum for "successful" would be to see them win more games than they lose although not without certain caveats. For example, they must do no worse than go 3-3 in the Division including a win against the Cows. And in that regard, to be able to purposely forget last year's historic debacle.

For me, there also is the open question as to how essential is it that any such success be a gateway to Daniel Jones's future as Giants QB? If 10-7 will be enough to provide an answer/meet the other conditions, it will do it for me.

Cheers!

jimc

Quote from: kartanoman on July 17, 2024, 10:24:11 AMNO Head or Assistant Coach firings!

NO callings for hanging John Mara in effigy!

NO crack remarks about free medium Pepsis!.

The throwback 100th anniversary uniforms become a good luck charm and the Giants petition the league to wear them all season at home.

The Giants only use ONE kicker this year.

The team stays RELATIVELY healthy.

Give us all that, regardless of W-L record and, as long as Daboll has them fighting hard, I'll be a happy camper.

Peace!

All of this and split with the Eagles and/or Cowboys!!
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gman329 on July 17, 2024, 08:45:50 AMOver 500.  Finish 9-8 and I'll feel like we're heading in the right direction.

Pretty much this. If we go 9-8, that means we're, at worst, playing meaningful football games in mid December. For a team that I would say actually overachieved its true caliber in winning six games last year, 9-8 would be a nice, material step forward.

My only issue with a 9-8 type year is that it's kind of no-man's land. At 9-8 you're not a contender and likely not even close, but you're also not going to be picking anywhere near the top 10, so forget having even an outside shot at getting one of the next class' top two or three rated QBs. Moreover it would likely put the Giants in yet another foggy situation with Jones, insofar as do they run it back with him yet again for a 7th time and hope this time really will be different, or do they cut him, take the hit, and then not be in position to draft anyone that appealing?

So record-wise, yes, 9-8 would be "successful" in my mind in terms of expectations, but I don't know how great a situation we'd feel like we're in once we either get bounced by the 2 seed on wildcard weekend or narrowly miss the playoffs.

MightyGiants

This will be a successful season if whenever it ends, I can't wait until next year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2024, 12:52:46 PMThis will be a successful season if whenever it ends, I can't wait until next year.

I'm really excited too.

Success for me would be meaningful games in and around Christmas.

Providing the building blocks to the future now that they have a direction I.e. no Barkley

LennG

I agree that if we end this coming season on a high, regardless of making the playoffs and can't wait for next season, that would be successful.
We had 6 wins last year, so winning 7,or 8, on paper would be an improvement but would it really?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss