News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who would you rather have drafted

Started by BluesCruz, July 19, 2024, 07:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming QB is our big need who would  you have taken

Michael Penix Jr
1 (5.9%)
Malik Nabors
16 (94.1%)
JJ McCarthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Painter

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 19, 2024, 10:39:22 AMOk Painter...we will ride off on the Jones horse.
I hope if he fails Tommy does get another shot

I dont know diddly about this Drew guy.

Not a bad idea. But for you a bit of a sham as it's obvious that you still don't get it.

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 19, 2024, 08:58:58 AMI found this on a Reditt MB and it sums up how I view matters

"Tommy Devito can absolutely be, at least, Joe Flacco, if he has protection, a reliable running back and more than one reliable receiver.

Where I think he has a leg up compared to Daniel Jones is that he is a much quicker decision maker... He might not have the same arm strength or break away running speed but he goes through his progressions much quicker, makes a decision, and rips it. This is a quality probably gained from playing behind shitty offensive lines most of his life, and it's going to serve him well in the NFL.

His surprising success here so far is a great problem to have."
You do realize Devito has a slower reaction time than Jones? He did not have better progressions. With a better line, Devito put up similar analytics to Jones with a bad one.

Jones never got benched for Tyrod, while Devito absolutely did. I'm no Jones fan, but he's twice the Qb Devito and Penix are currently.

AZGiantFan

This is getting tiresomer and tiresomer.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 19, 2024, 02:12:34 PMYou do realize Devito has a slower reaction time than Jones? He did not have better progressions. With a better line, Devito put up similar analytics to Jones with a bad one.

Jones never got benched for Tyrod, while Devito absolutely did. I'm no Jones fan, but he's twice the Qb Devito and Penix are currently.

No I actually had no idea Jones was that quick to survey the field and dump it off to Barkley.  Jones is what his record says he is- 19-19 in College and 23-37-1 for the Giants.  I live by the Parcells credo "you are what your record says you are".

Isn't 5 years of futility enough-  with solid plans to deploy this QB weapon again for a 6th. The definition of insanity is- "Repeating the same process again and again and expecting a different result"

I realize his Oline has been spotty but TommyD and Tyrod had the same supporting cast and looked a heck of a lot better and more polished, threw long, moved the team downfield and get this- won 5 games last year

His record says he is a bad QB.  Yes he had an ok 2022 year and got a truckload of money from an adoring and oft time mis-guided owner for his efforts

I dont think for one minute Schoen architected that contract, when all he had to do was tag him. 

Schoen apparently has had to work around Jones, Barkley and John Mara since he got here.  Tough position to be in...he was handcuffed.  It was nice to see Schoen finally stand up to Mara's passive aggressive stance on Barkley.

Next year the Jones handcuffs come off too
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 19, 2024, 03:24:17 PMNo I actually had no idea Jones was that quick to survey the field and dump it off to Barkley.  Jones is what his record says he is- 19-19 in College and 23-37-1 for the Giants.  I live by the Parcells credo "you are what your record says you are".

Isn't 5 years of futility enough-  with solid plans to deploy this QB weapon again for a 6th. The definition of insanity is- "Repeating the same process again and again and expecting a different result"

I realize his Oline has been spotty but TommyD and Tyrod had the same supporting cast and looked a heck of a lot better and more polished, threw long, moved the team downfield and get this- won 5 games last year

His record says he is a bad QB.  Yes he had an ok 2022 year and got a truckload of money from an adoring and oft time mis-guided owner for his efforts

I dont think for one minute Schoen architected that contract, when all he had to do was tag him. 

Schoen apparently has had to work around Jones, Barkley and John Mara since he got here.  Tough position to be in...he was handcuffed.  It was nice to see Schoen finally stand up to Mara's passive aggressive stance on Barkley.

Next year the Jones handcuffs come off too

Please check Devitos shitty college record before you come at Jones. It's why ppl don't take these threads seriously. Devito got benched in college like he did in the pros. He only had 2-3 games in his whole college career where he even passed 300 yards. So what would Parcells say to devitos horrendous play?? I thought so.

We all know the Giants tried to get a Qb this offseason but couldn't pull a trade off. So you'd be OK wasting our early 1st on a bum than waiting one more year? Because in all likelihood, Penix and Mccarthy fail at this next level. We can actively look towards the qbs next year instead of picking a bum this year.

Wandale was still injured to start the season, as was Thomas, Waller, and most the line. It's not the same or even remotely close. Also Tyrod is 3 times the Qb Devito is and I don't think it's close or debatable.

Devito, Penix, or whoever doesn't really matter because the likelihood they are on our roster come the start of the season is slim. You don't know if Devito even makes the roster after his benching but yet is somehow better than Jones or Lock despite the team telling you otherwise lol. Wild.

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 19, 2024, 02:14:53 PMThis is getting tiresomer and tiresomer.

I've learned two new words today: "Vigorishly" and "Tiresomer." My vocabulary capacity fun meter is officially pegged.

I'm sorry. What were we discussing again?

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kartanoman on July 19, 2024, 04:22:03 PMI've learned two new words today: "Vigorishly" and "Tiresomer." My vocabulary capacity fun meter is officially pegged.

I think I made tiresomer up.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

miss86

Let's beat this horse a little bit more. It's not dead enough.  :D

Painter

Quote from: kartanoman on July 19, 2024, 04:22:03 PMI've learned two new words today: "Vigorishly" and "Tiresomer." My vocabulary capacity fun meter is officially pegged.

=D>  ;)

PSUBeirut

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 19, 2024, 02:14:53 PMThis is getting tiresomer and tiresomer.

Not sure why but I read your comment in Winnie the poohs voice and it cracked me up.  ;)

todge

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 19, 2024, 08:58:58 AMI found this on a Reditt MB and it sums up how I view matters

"Tommy Devito can absolutely be, at least, Joe Flacco, if he has protection, a reliable running back and more than one reliable receiver.

Where I think he has a leg up compared to Daniel Jones is that he is a much quicker decision maker... He might not have the same arm strength or break away running speed but he goes through his progressions much quicker, makes a decision, and rips it. This is a quality probably gained from playing behind shitty offensive lines most of his life, and it's going to serve him well in the NFL.

His surprising success here so far is a great problem to have."
In terms of Penix - if all it took was college statistics to measure a QB, then teams wouldn't spend countless hours scouting them. Just pick the QB who amassed the most passing yards and you're all set. Unfortunately, Draft history is filled with Heisman Trophy winners and other QBs with great stats who busted out.

Penix struggled in the National Championship game. With only mild pressure, he was inaccurate missing badly on short crossing  patterns and many other routes. With his injury history and age, IMO he was an easy pass for the Giants at 6.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion- but I seriously doubt you will ever see him beat out Daniel Jones or Drew Lock. Practice Squad seems to be his fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesCruz

Quote from: todge on July 19, 2024, 08:36:52 PMIn terms of Penix - if all it took was college statistics to measure a QB, then teams wouldn't spend countless hours scouting them. Just pick the QB who amassed the most passing yards and you're all set. Unfortunately, Draft history is filled with Heisman Trophy winners and other QBs with great stats who busted out.

Penix struggled in the National Championship game. With only mild pressure, he was inaccurate missing badly on short crossing  patterns and many other routes. With his injury history and age, IMO he was an easy pass for the Giants at 6.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion- but I seriously doubt you will ever see him beat out Daniel Jones or Drew Lock. Practice Squad seems to be his fate.

No thanks. I'm riding with Dan
Dan is the Man

Word is Daniel Jones tore up Temple in the Independence Bowl.  We all know what a football powerhouse Temple is

Poor Penix (13,700 yard passing Penix) only has a victory in this years College Football Championship Series to his credit.  Work in progress for sure

DeVito only had success at Syracuse and Illinois....not in the same league with Duke and Temple

We should check out the Little Sisters of the Poor to see if their QB room might have some gems in it.

Both Jones and DeVito threw for roughly 2600 yds in their senior years both had 22 TDs
Jones did it at that powerhouse DUKE
DeVito played in the Big 10 with the Big Boy schedule at Illinois

DaveBrown74

Quote from: todge on July 19, 2024, 08:36:52 PMIn terms of Penix - if all it took was college statistics to measure a QB, then teams wouldn't spend countless hours scouting them. Just pick the QB who amassed the most passing yards and you're all set. Unfortunately, Draft history is filled with Heisman Trophy winners and other QBs with great stats who busted out.

I have mixed views on Penix myself, but practice squad seems like an incredibly bearish stance. Barring him getting so hurt that he has to stop playing football, I have a hard time seeing him be anything less than a backup in the foreseeable future, and I think it is more likely than not that he'll eventually be their starter.

The Falcons certainly didn't use a top 10 pick on a QB after already signing Kirk Cousins because they think he's a longshot to even be backup material.

BluesCruz

Penix lost to Michigan
Big deal

Who didn't

Against Texas he looked like Mahommes

Mahommes, Mahommes......Ben MacAdoo begged the Giants to take him
He sounds like Mickey Mouse but he can move the team like no other

Ben got a raw deal here....Mara showed his cards on that one
Funny how Geno Smith went on to become a top flight starter in Seattle

Mara lets the mob rule.  We saw that with Geno and now he wanted to keep Barkley to quiet the crowd

MacAdoo got saddled with an aging Eli and now Daboll appears to have no say in keeping Jones.   Sad way to run a team.  just stop John....let your football guys "pick the ingredients " to make the meal

I  never thought no one would support Penix......15-1   Im devastated

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 20, 2024, 06:18:14 AMI have mixed views on Penix myself, but practice squad seems like an incredibly bearish stance. Barring him getting so hurt that he has to stop playing football, I have a hard time seeing him be anything less than a backup in the foreseeable future, and I think it is more likely than not that he'll eventually be their starter.

The Falcons certainly didn't use a top 10 pick on a QB after already signing Kirk Cousins because they think he's a longshot to even be backup material.
I was referring to DeVito on the PS, not Penix. Sorry for the shaky grammatical structure Dave.