News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Best training camp battles

Started by MightyGiants, July 20, 2024, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Which battles are you most looking forward to?

CB 2-  Flott vs McCloud vs Hawkins vs Herndon vs Robinson

Slot CB-  Phillips vs Holmes vs one of the losers of the CB2 battle

RB 2-  Tracey vs Gray vs Corbin

QB 2-  Lock vs DeVito

3 Tech DT-  Nacho vs Jordan vs Davidson vs Anderson (plus which edge moves to this spot on passing downs)

Safety-  Nubin vs Belton vs Mills
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Isaiah Simmons battle to carve out a role on this defense.

Bob In PA

The battle(s) that will determine the starting safeties. This will be of extra importance this year IMO since the Giants will (generally speaking) be playing from ahead (or tied).  Alternatively, the Giants will continue to play from behind, stink up the place, and go 4-13 like most experts are predicting.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2024, 11:36:48 AMThe battle(s) that will determine the starting safeties. This will be of extra importance this year IMO since the Giants will (generally speaking) be playing from ahead (or tied). Alternatively, the Giants will continue to play from behind, stink up the place, and go 4-13 like most experts are predicting.  Bob

I have some limited optimism that Nuben will prove to be an upgrade to McKenzie.   As Schoen said, ball-hawking is a college trait that translates well to the pros.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2024, 11:43:30 AMI have some limited optimism that Nuben will prove to be an upgrade to McKenzie.   As Schoen said, ball-hawking is a college trait that translates well to the pros.
And he's not the only Schoen pick on defense known in college as a ball-hawk. Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2024, 11:57:29 AMAnd he's not the only Schoen pick on defense known in college as a ball-hawk. Bob

Who was the other? :hmm:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2024, 11:58:51 AMWho was the other? :hmm:

Rich: My remark is/was sort-of a combination trick question and trivia question. Since Schoen has only been here three years it won't be hard to research, so I'll just spill the beans... Belton split time in college between playing safety and playing so-called "cash linebacker" so his renown as a ball-hawk only carried about a 50% weight among scouts and was not often mentioned by "draft experts" who didn't know him very well. Bob

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2024, 11:43:30 AMI have some limited optimism that Nuben will prove to be an upgrade to McKenzie.   As Schoen said, ball-hawking is a college trait that translates well to the pros.

I feel the same way: guarded optimism.

McKinney is a good safety for sure, so that is not an easy hurdle for any safety prospect to clear, but the more I study and learn about Nubin, the more I like him and think he has a chance to eventually be the better overall player. I really like his traits a lot, and he appears to have a more appealing attitude in general than McKinney.

I would further add that, while the last decade has been pretty dark, one of the few things this franchise has done well at is identifying, selecting (or signing), and developing quality safeties. Collins, McKinney, and Love are among the success stories.

So I really have no strong reason to believe Nubin will be a disappointment relative to what I would expect from a top 50 pick, and I think there is a not unrealistic chance he ends up being better than McKinney.

BluesCruz

This is all music to my ears

we need competition at every position, steel sharpens steel

I have high hopes for this season....we will be 53 strong and same with the PS
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

What about potentially JE and Neal at RT?  I know JE is listed at Guard but have to think he gets RT reps and if he looks good, an unintended competition may become competition.

I am curious about safety.  We did not need depth at safety but rather a new starter with X gone.  If that's not Nubin, then why did we draft him at the coveted 2nd round apot?

gregf

Quote from: Philosophers on July 20, 2024, 01:47:04 PMWhat about potentially JE and Neal at RT?  I know JE is listed at Guard but have to think he gets RT reps and if he looks good, an unintended competition may become competition.

I am curious about safety.  We did not need depth at safety but rather a new starter with X gone.  If that's not Nubin, then why did we draft him at the coveted 2nd round apot?

That's what I want to see!

BluesCruz

Just watched a Pat MCAfee segment

His mantra is "Why not Drew Lock?"

Im buying, anything would be better than Jones stumbling around out there

Apparently Lock lit up Philly last season in a prime time game

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 21, 2024, 10:42:05 AMJust watched a Pat MCAfee segment

Lock has never had an NFL season close to what Jones did in 2022.

I am not exactly sky high on Jones' upside as an NFL starter, but assuming solid health, he is better than Lock. At the very least, he certainly has been the better player to this point in both players' NFL careers. That isn't really up for much debate. The data speaks for itself.

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 21, 2024, 10:42:05 AMJust watched a Pat MCAfee segment

I will listen to a man who has the knowledge and grinds the film, like Greg Cossell.  He said that Jones is the more talented QB.  Sure you can get someone trying to gain attention with a hot take, like McAfee, but the man you cited simply lacks the credentials to be taken seriously, especially when all you have is literally his word for it (no support for his argument.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

I just can't take a 6th year of Jones

Yes if everything else is perfect he can take you to the promised land
but
We are far from perfect or were last year...hope springs eternal

Ask yourself, when everything is less than perfect can Jones overcome that and force the team to respond?  In other words, can he pull a team behind him through the swamp?

I know you are hoping the Oline gets better and Nabors makes the difference like CeeDee Lamb does for Dallas, and Singletary lives up to his nickname, but is that realistic?

or are we playing for draft position and better luck next year?  Didn't Schoen just say history is the best predictor of the future?

History tells us another Jones year will be a tough sled.  And I've beaten this horse to a bloody pulp.  Sorry in advance

On my way back to the USA Tuesday. I hope those temperatures go down. Scarry stuff
.....gotta go pack