News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Much of the criticism of NYG via Hard Knocks involves Barkley

Started by MightyGiants, July 21, 2024, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goNets

Barkley is a luxury item for a team that needs the basics. He may thrive in Philly but that won't mean the Giants didn't do the right thing by letting him walk. Having said that I have this funny feeling that he's going to disappoint. There were a few games in the last few years when we could have sown up a win with a few runs by Saquon. And he didn't get it done.
You can say that the line didn't do their part, but then there were a couple of untimely fumbles by him when he's known for his ball security. One play that comes to mind was a long run where he stumbles and then fumbles in open field. My thought is that as talented as he is, he just may not be that guy.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: goNets on July 23, 2024, 12:33:51 PMBarkley is a luxury item for a team that needs the basics. He may thrive in Philly but that won't mean the Giants didn't do the right thing by letting him walk. Having said that I have this funny feeling that he's going to disappoint. There were a few games in the last few years when we could have sown up a win with a few runs by Saquon. And he didn't get it done.
You can say that the line didn't do their part, but then there were a couple of untimely fumbles by him when he's known for his ball security. One play that comes to mind was a long run where he stumbles and then fumbles in open field. My thought is that as talented as he is, he just may not be that guy.

I agree that the Giants did the right thing in letting Barkley go even if he ends up having a very good year or two in Philly. The teams are in totally different situations on multiple levels. It makes way more sense for them to be spending that kind of money on him than us.

Where I think the Giants did the wrong thing was in failing to get anything for him before he hit free agency. I can understand being unwilling to trade him in 2022, because they were in the middle of their first playoff caliber season in 6 years and only their second in a decade. I get not wanting to part with your offensive centerpiece that year. And even if Schoen wanted to I'm sure Mara would have blocked him.

What I can't fathom is not moving him last year. I understand it takes two to tango to make a trade happen, but Barkley has indicated there were multiple suitors and given the size of the contract he got I believe him. I have a hard time believing they truly tried to move him and couldn't. They should have shopped him around and gotten the best bid they could for him, even if it wasn't that much. Why get nothing when you can get something? And since they were clearly one of the worst teams in the NFL last year, it shouldn't have been a difficult decision.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 23, 2024, 01:09:06 PMI agree that the Giants did the right thing in letting Barkley go even if he ends up having a very good year or two in Philly. The teams are in totally different situations on multiple levels. It makes way more sense for them to be spending that kind of money on him than us.

Where I think the Giants did the wrong thing was in failing to get anything for him before he hit free agency. I can understand being unwilling to trade him in 2022, because they were in the middle of their first playoff caliber season in 6 years and only their second in a decade. I get not wanting to part with your offensive centerpiece that year. And even if Schoen wanted to I'm sure Mara would have blocked him.

What I can't fathom is not moving him last year. I understand it takes two to tango to make a trade happen, but Barkley has indicated there were multiple suitors and given the size of the contract he got I believe him. I have a hard time believing they truly tried to move him and couldn't. They should have shopped him around and gotten the best bid they could for him, even if it wasn't that much. Why get nothing when you can get something? And since they were clearly one of the worst teams in the NFL last year, it shouldn't have been a difficult decision.

When then criticisms of Schoen's tenure get thrown around this one has the most validity to me. It's silly not to trade Barkley and McKinney at the deadline last year. If the answer is well they only could have gotten a 5th round pick (which I don't believe to be the case I think they could have gotten much more) you still do the trade. Cause that's a 5th round pick you didn't have before.

I would love to hear their thought process on that decision. Because I have mostly agreed with the majority of other things they've done to this point. That decision stands out as an outlier.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 23, 2024, 10:56:01 PMWhen then criticisms of Schoen's tenure get thrown around this one has the most validity to me. It's silly not to trade Barkley and McKinney at the deadline last year. If the answer is well they only could have gotten a 5th round pick (which I don't believe to be the case I think they could have gotten much more) you still do the trade. Cause that's a 5th round pick you didn't have before.

I would love to hear their thought process on that decision. Because I have mostly agreed with the majority of other things they've done to this point. That decision stands out as an outlier.

I think the Giants may be in line to get a 2025 4th round compensatory pick for McKinney. I don't think we're getting anything for Barkley due to the Runyan signing.