News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mojo’s Corner - 2024 Camp Reports

Started by MightyGiants, July 24, 2024, 10:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 26, 2024, 10:47:48 AMI think that you need to view injuries in training camp through the lens of training camp.  The roster is nearly doubled.  Statistically you are going to have more guys banged up.  On top of that, there are some who suggest there are some injuries that are more common during camp.

For me, the things I look for are:

How many start camp injured

Are the injuries concentrating in a position

Is the injured player missing (to them) valuable practice time

Are the injuries the avoidable soft tissue type or are they the result of misfortune and impacts

Are the injuries concentrated by type-  you never want to see a concentration of, say hamstring injuries.

Are the injuries building up to the point that it's impacting practice?

:knockONwood:  Right now, the injuries are not too bad.  Theo's injury was a bit of a concern, but the rest seem on par for this point in camp.

Excellent summation Rich. Gave me some stuff to think about. Thanks.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on July 26, 2024, 12:12:42 PMIf he were a rookie I wouldn't care but he has an established track record of being consistently inconsistent. He used to get a pass because of the line and receivers but his excuses are running out.

Totally fair point, and I agree with it, although it only matters if he sucks in the regular season, and past evidence seems to suggest the correlation between camp and the regular season is not remotely meaningful.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

I couldn't care less how the QB does, good or bad in these sessions. They have no correlation to game play. But I do feel once he does play in games it will be an adjustment after that injury. We have to see how that transpires.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on July 26, 2024, 03:09:49 PMI couldn't care less how the QB does, good or bad in these sessions. They have no correlation to game play. But I do feel once he does play in games it will be an adjustment after that injury. We have to see how that transpires.

I agree on both counts.  2022 DJ didn't look that good and had a good season.  2023 DJ looked great but had a rough season (what there was of it).  As you said, DJ needs to get the feel for his body back, after a couple of serious injuries (his neck and his ACL)

That said, his play is TBD
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

There is no way I am going to play this "he looked great today on deep balls, we can count on him" or "he looked like crap, we should have drafted .....". Body of work is not one day or another.  It's a compilation.

Jclayton92

Takeaways through 3 practices:

1. Jones never goes deep, he needs reps and has to get those reps in. Not gonna be good if you don't ever do something unless you practice. Him planting his foot and driving is sus currently deep.

2. Dyontae Johnson will be 3rd down mike 2 with McFadden getting 1st/2nd down reps.

3. They are giving Hyatt every chance to be WR2

4. Belton is going to force his way on the field with his turnovers

5. We have got to find someone that isn't Ryder Anderson, hopefully that's Chatman or Phillips.

6. I'm comfortably optimistic on the line. I think Eluemunor starts RT, so we need a LG and I think that person isn't on the roster currently.

7. Singletary is nice, I think Tracy is easy #2 and Miller may gets looks as 3rd down.

8. Manhertz is a dawg, low key great signing. Don't be surprised if he's TE1 and Cager #2 until Theo is back. Bellinger isn't the answer post eye.

9.The pass rush is legit, now we need some of these cbs to stand out. Nick McCloud will likely end up being CB2 because Flott isn't looking good, though he never has practiced well. Why is Holmes practicing on the boundary? My starting Dbs Pinnock and Belton with Banks, McCloud on the boundary, and Simmons/Phillips at nickel. Need more help.

10. JMS seems different right now. The kid faces Lawrence daily, how is he not getting better, I think he is hopefully.

11. I don't think Slayton sees the final 53. Let the young guys play and get reps everywhere.

12. Banks is an unknown to me still going into year 2.

13. Need to find a way to get Ojulari, KT, and Burns on the field together.

Young guys that have made the most of their time Dyontae Johnson, Alex Johnson, Chatman, and Dennis Houston.

Also a crime that G Owens is 3rd team, that kid is everywhere and when we get down to the 4 deep at safety he would easily be my safety #4.

bamagiantfan

Thanks for starting this Chris. Mojo lives!
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jclayton92

Lineal Joseph
Van Roten
And one of the CBs

should be easy to get with the waller money and I think it's necessary at this point. Like why wait?

spiderblue43

Bobby and Justin have got me worried already about Jones. Missing some throws all over rhe field and not having enough arm strength to make elite plays.

They're saying this has to be DJ's bottom...unacceptable what they've seen.

Yikes. :doh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on July 26, 2024, 05:01:26 PMBobby and Justin have got me worried already about Jones. Missing some throws all over rhe field and not having enough arm strength to make elite plays.

Jeez... doesn't sound good. If this is his "bottom" is that to say he has looked even worse this week than he looked on the field last year?

Has Lock at least looked better?

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 26, 2024, 05:11:59 PMJeez... doesn't sound good. If this is his "bottom" is that to say he has looked even worse this week than he looked on the field last year?

Bobby has not mentioned Lock much except he threw the beautiful bomb to Turbo. They said Giants tried to have Jones roll out and throw back against the grain..should been an easy td..but DJ couldn't do it.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 26, 2024, 05:11:59 PMJeez... doesn't sound good. If this is his "bottom" is that to say he has looked even worse this week than he looked on the field last year?

Perspective check ...

This is Jones' second day of official training camp back after coming back from a serious injury and rehab. Is everyone REALLY expecting him to light the skies like Joe "Hit Him 12 inches in front of him in stride" Montana?

He's been driving a Yugo since 2019 and has finally been upgraded to a Rolls-Royce La Rose Noire Droptail; give him time to adjust to his repaired ACL as well as the fix in his neck!

He's on the field ahead of schedule and, if they evaluate issues in his execution as a cause of hurrying back too soon, you'll probably get to see more of Lock.

But, again, this goes back to Rich's @MightyGiants point about the medical staff clearing their QB too soon if he is still ailing from the recovery process.

Hopefully, it's nothing more than additional practice time with Nabers and Hyatt, more film review and adjustments to take into tomorrow's practice plans.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

spiderblue43

Kart,

Just relaying what they saw. True, he maybe be still recovering in his fundamentals,that's fair. But this has nothing to do with his wrs-he's not looked good. Has to pick it up if this offense is to get out of the doldrums.

MightyGiants

Quote from: spiderblue43 on July 26, 2024, 05:01:26 PMBobby and Justin have got me worried already about Jones. Missing some throws all over rhe field and not having enough arm strength to make elite plays.

Guys,

Jones just had his first 3 days of 11 on 11 in nearly a year.  Do you think you might be jumping the gun a bit in terms of your reactions?   I appreciate Bobby and Justin are all over Daniel Jones.  I also appreciate that while training camp is fun to attend it's fun to get those first glimpses of the team.  It's still just that, a glimpse.

That said, when the throws count, DJ needs to hit that throw to WonDale.  There are only a handful of plays every game that make or break, and a wide-open WR deep is one of them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE