News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mojo’s Corner - 2024 Camp Reports

Started by MightyGiants, July 24, 2024, 10:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I think it's worth remembering when you are dealing with throws of over 40 yards

Quarterbacks had a completion percentage of 57.3 when throwing for >20 yards all-time.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/quarterbacks-completion-percentage-over-20-yards

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 28, 2024, 11:34:26 AMhttps://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1817583611824246785

It was a competition but Hyatt was wide open and with a well thrown ball he walks in for an easy touchdown. I'm glad he was able to connect but that wasn't a good throw.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 28, 2024, 10:04:49 AMGood news in general on some of these camp injuries (Theo especially but also Nubin).

If Daboll couldn't even say whether Neal would be ready for week one, the Giants really should just commit to Eleumenor now as the RT and plan on him starting. Neal has been way too bad to consider putting him in in week one, even if he's cleared, if he has missed most or all of camp. That seems crazy to me. I'm assuming it won't happen but it better not.

Schmitz is a little worrying, as he needs all the work he can get after his disappointing rookie season.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 28, 2024, 02:04:12 PMSchmitz is a little worrying, as he needs all the work he can get after his disappointing rookie season.

I would fully agree. He's definitely not a guy you feel comfortable about missing any of camp.

Seems Runyan is capable of playing center in a pinch. Bricilo mentioned that to Barkley in his chat with him at the PSU pro day on HK. Obviously that is not what anyone wants though.

Still, it's good to have contingency plans for worst case scenarios.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 28, 2024, 11:43:19 AMI am not precluding injury issues.  Although, when it comes to the deep ball, QBs need to lead the receiver (throw the ball where the WR will be, not where he is).  I imagine it might take Jones a little bit to get used to the speed he has in Hyatt and Nabers.

This, IMO.

And it is just his 4th day in over a year so it will take a little time to get all the rust off.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Giants have pushed the ball downfield so far in camp. Daniel Jones has missed some: Wan'Dale Robinson too far on Day 3, underthrew Malik Nabers and Jalin Hyatt today.

But when Jones has gotten the ball out there, Nabers and Hyatt have made plays for him - including both today.

Have to think Daboll calling plays is a big part of this, and Giants have to get Jones to, as Nabers said yesterday, just throw it.
2:26 PM · Jul 28, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

• Dru Phillips emerging. The third-round rookie is now seriously battling Nick McCloud for the starting slot cornerback job. Phillips got lots of first-team reps Sunday, as McCloud worked exclusively with the backups. While Belton is far ahead of Nubin the free safety competition, slot corner is much closer battle between Phillips and McCloud — at least based on the first-team reps.

Shane Bowen also continues to give Isaiah Simmons — an intriguing slot piece — some first-team work. He is a rangy, athletic player with plenty of versatility as an inside linebacker/safety type.

• Deonte Banks entirely with starters. Tre Hawkins had gotten a good chunk of Banks' first-team reps in the first three practices — apparently because the Giants are trying to manage Banks' workload. That wasn't the case Sunday. Banks got all the first-team reps, with no breathers.

Hawkins was the No. 2 outside corner — which surely will be his role — opposite Darnay Holmes. Expect Hawkins to be the Giants' top backup outside corner, since Holmes is transitioning from slot corner, where the Giants replaced him with Flott last season.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2024/07/giants-training-camp-takeaways-daniel-jones-connects-with-malik-nabers-but-also-misses-often-another-offensive-line-injury-slot-corner-emerges.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
I've mentioned Daniel Jones' inconsistency so far with the deep ball, as have others. One thing I am impressed with, and surprised by: when Jones has to run, there is no hesitation at all. Sure, some of that comes from wearing the red jersey and knowing he's not going to get hit.
But he doesn't appear to have lost anything as a runner.
3:42 PM · Jul 28, 2024
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Big Blue Huddle
@BigBlueHuddle

Add column

Search
Decks
Opens dialog to manage your decks
Opens dialog to create a new deck
New Deck

Personal
Personal
Opens dialog to manage the selected deck

More

Pro

List
Giants News

@art_stapleton

See new posts
Conversation
Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Some #Giants100 lineup notes from Day 4 of training camp:

* Rookie Dru Phillips got his first extended looks at nickel corner with 1st team. Had been in with 1s in dime with Nick McCloud in the slot. Phillips had a PBU in breaking up screen to Wan'Dale Robinson

* Mentioned this as it happened: Jon Runyan took a few snaps at center with the 1s with JMS working back to full with a shoulder issue. Jimmy Morrissey and Austin Schlottmann also at C with 1s.

I would be surprised if Giants don't re-engage with G Greg Van Roten this week.

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
·
8m
* Dyontae Johnson has a skill set Shane Bowen can use. He has gotten some time next to Bobby Okereke. Can play in place of Bobby O and today took a few reps as a stand-up end/edge in a sub-package

* Giants using all of their TEs religiously. Theo Johnson is going to be a factor.

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
·
8m
* NYG have had four practices and not one 7-on-7 period. All 11-on-11, which is a change for Daboll this camp. Intention is get everyone reacting to the rush, the pocket, especially Daniel Jones, who had not done 11/11 since November.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Bobby Skinner
@BobbySkinner_
Giants Training Camp Day 4 Write Up

"Offensive Line depth is still a cause for concern on this team and they need to establish backups just as much as starters. The Giants could still sign Greg Van Roten to start at Guard and give a call to Nick Gates to be the backup Center for the veteran minimum. Having Evan Neal, Aaron Stinnie & Nick Gates as clear backups at Tackle, Guard & Center would ease a lot of fans minds as well as not asking starters to move positions at a moments notice."

https://x.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1817640932789150137
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 28, 2024, 12:42:32 PMYou would think if Jones were still so unhealthy that he can't make fairly routine, deep throws without any threat of being hit, he would not be practicing. As far as I can recall (and I could be remembering wrong), Barkley didn't play at all in camp or preseason games in 2021. The fact that Jones is fully participating would suggest the doctors are comfortable with his health at this point. In fact the narrative this whole season has been that his recovery has been going well and that if anything was ahead of schedule.

Sounds more like he just had a couple of very rough practices and that he's doing better today.
That's not what I was referring to, Jeff. If the ACL injury caused weakness in that planting leg, it would cause inconsistency or even limit him on deep throws. It could be conditioning where it may take a year to come back to 100% strength or it can be permanent as it was with Barkley where his injury made him human. Btw, those deep throws are not routine passes. It's total body strength and flexibility, timing and proper angle of degree.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

The muscle atrophy in a leg following ACL injury then surgery (plus micro fiber weakness) is not some regained 100% in one year or less as in DJ's case.  I am sure a player's lower body/leg muscles involved in generating power for a throw are all affected to some extent including his good leg.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 28, 2024, 04:19:57 PMThat's not what I was referring to, Jeff. If the ACL injury caused weakness in that planting leg, it would cause inconsistency or even limit him on deep throws. It could be conditioning where it may take a year to come back to 100% strength or it can be permanent as it was with Barkley where his injury made him human. Btw, those deep throws are not routine passes. It's total body strength and flexibility, timing and proper angle of degree.

I didn't say they were routine passes. I referred to them as fairly routine deep throws, meaning fairly routine as far as deep throws go. I fully understand that deep throws are broadly more difficult than short or intermediate throws.

In any event, it sounds like insiders present at camp that beat guys are talking to are saying he's "absolutely" healthy, and it also sounds like he did hit at least 2-3 deep throws today, so there may not be much to worry about here other than that he might just have been a little rusty the first few days.

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!