News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Deonte Banks

Started by Philosophers, July 26, 2024, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Under Wink, Banks, a rookie, played a lot of MTM.  Under Bowen, he is now having to learn to play more zone.  Ifnhe is not developing as quickly as we like, how much of it is due to the new defensive scheme?

When we had Bill B as our DC for so long we played a consistent style for a long time which allowed guys like Mark Collins to get more experience. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 26, 2024, 06:55:46 PMUnder Wink, Banks, a rookie, played a lot of MTM.  Under Bowen, he is now having to learn to play more zone.  Ifnhe is not developing as quickly as we like, how much of it is due to the new defensive scheme?

When we had Bill B as our DC for so long we played a consistent style for a long time which allowed guys like Mark Collins to get more experience. 

As you pointed out, Banks is dealing with changes.   Plus, in camp, especially without pads, the receivers have a big advantage (especially since their QB can't be sacked).   I would until at least we see Banks in a couple of PS games before being concerned
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 27, 2024, 06:53:00 AMAs you pointed out, Banks is dealing with changes.   Plus, in camp, especially without pads, the receivers have a big advantage (especially since their QB can't be sacked).   I would until at least we see Banks in a couple of PS games before being concerned

Rich: Defense is not really my "thing" but I expect to see a lot of the Giants this season assigning Banks the opponent's best WR and playing some sort of hybrid zone defense. It won't take long to see if I'm right  because the very first game features a WR (and an offense) that Wink/Daboll handled very well, so we shall see how the new guy's approach differs from that, which, in turn, will tell us a lot about how much change Banks is going to have to learn to cope with. My point is... there are ways to use a guy like Banks without completely blowing up the defensive coordinator's preferred overall style of play. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 27, 2024, 07:57:51 AMRich: Defense is not really my "thing" but I expect to see a lot of the Giants this season assigning Banks the opponent's best WR and playing some sort of hybrid zone defense. It won't take long to see if I'm right  because the very first game features a WR (and an offense) that Wink/Daboll handled very well, so we shall see how the new guy's approach differs from that, which, in turn, will tell us a lot about how much change Banks is going to have to learn to cope with. My point is... there are ways to use a guy like Banks without completely blowing up the defensive coordinator's preferred overall style of play. Bob

Bob,

When it comes to coverage, you have press and off.  That involves how close to the line DBs play.  Then you have man to man and zone.  There is a third type called pattern match.  I put up a thread on that type last month.  The short explanation is that pattern match is it zone that can become man to man depending on what the offense does. 

From player interviews there will be less man to man in favor of a combination of zone and pattern match. 

As for Banks, I expect him to play to the side of the opposing team's number one receiver.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

My expectations for Banks this year are high. I don't expect perfection, but he was a guy who really showed talent natural ability last year despite making rookie mistakes. I expect a lot of that to be tightened up this year regardless of scheme.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 27, 2024, 08:14:03 AMMy expectations for Banks this year are high. I don't expect perfection, but he was a guy who really showed talent natural ability last year despite making rookie mistakes. I expect a lot of that to be tightened up this year regardless of scheme.

DB: Not only that, but assuming they don't add a "last-minute" veteran CB, they need him to come up big regardless of expectations (which I agree with you about). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

President Rick

working vs Nabers will help him.  In the clips on this board, his coverage of nabers isn't bad...it's just that Nabers is good!!
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on July 28, 2024, 09:52:10 AMworking vs Nabers will help him.  In the clips on this board, his coverage of nabers isn't bad...it's just that Nabers is good!!

Iron sharpens iron
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I never put much stock in DBs in the preseason or camp. The Wrs have such an advantage in 1 v 1 that it's almost unrealistic. For instance Flott has always been horrible in camp yet flashes in games and is almost a different player in game.