News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll Rejuvenated Running The Offense

Started by Ed Vette, July 29, 2024, 10:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"It's a different person running the offensive meetings. It's a different personality, different mindset," wide receiver Darius Slayton said. "I think he's definitely come out and made an emphasis on we need to make more plays down the field. We need to create more explosives -- not just downfield but also catch-and-run scenarios, too. It's something he's really emphasized and I think it's shown if you've watched practice. Even though we haven't hit them all there has been an intention to try to get the ball down the field more."...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40673955/giants-different-mindset-daboll-running-offense

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 29, 2024, 10:53:42 PM"It's a different person running the offensive meetings. It's a different personality, different mindset," wide receiver Darius Slayton said. "I think he's definitely come out and made an emphasis on we need to make more plays down the field. We need to create more explosives -- not just downfield but also catch-and-run scenarios, too. It's something he's really emphasized and I think it's shown if you've watched practice. Even though we haven't hit them all there has been an intention to try to get the ball down the field more."...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40673955/giants-different-mindset-daboll-running-offense

There is zero question the Giants need to move off from being one of the least (if not least) explosive offenses.  One defensive tenant is the idea of keeping an offense from picking up chunk yardage.  The idea is that few offenses can consistently string together 12-14 play drives without screwing at some point.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2024, 06:04:06 AMThere is zero question the Giants need to move off from being one of the least (if not least) explosive offenses.  One defensive tenant is the idea of keeping an offense from picking up chunk yardage.  The idea is that few offenses can consistently string together 12-14 play drives without screwing at some point.
I was a critic of Kafka's playcalling. If you don't take shots in early downs, you set yourself up for pressure and Run defense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

I'm glad coach Daboll is excited. It tells me he likes his personnel and knows this is a make-or-break year for more than just Daniel Jones... in other words, make-or-break might include him as well.

Usually, factors like that tend to increase the likelihood of over-performance.

If the "experts" are correct in saying the Giants have one of the NFL's lowest-ranked personnel groups, they will NEED to over-perform in order to make the playoffs this season.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

So the question is what exactly is Kafka doing with the Giants now?  Forget titles.  What are his day to day responsibilities?

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on July 30, 2024, 09:27:02 AMSo the question is what exactly is Kafka doing with the Giants now?  Forget titles.  What are his day to day responsibilities?

Head-coach-in-waiting?  lol

killarich

Quote from: Philosophers on July 30, 2024, 09:27:02 AMSo the question is what exactly is Kafka doing with the Giants now?  Forget titles.  What are his day to day responsibilities?

I feel like Daboll was probably focused on doing 100% of what head coach does .... What does that entail ? Idk exactly ....but maybe it's involving scouting the next team ....  Suggesting areas from the playbook to call etc

Maybe now he's dropping some of those tasks on Kafka .... While picking up the play calls

So now maybe he's running the offense .... Going back to the offense and seeing what Kafka has laid out for him.... Then they discuss what he agrees or disagrees etc

I could be talking completely out my azz but just thought lol

I think if the offense turns it around ..... Daboll may have actually saved  Kafkas career bs him going to run another offense down to the ground ...... now he has the title of "Assistant" Head Coach

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: killarich on July 30, 2024, 10:18:29 AMI feel like Daboll was probably focused on doing 100% of what head coach does .... What does that entail ? Idk exactly ....but maybe it's involving scouting the next team ....  Suggesting areas from the playbook to call etc

Maybe now he's dropping some of those tasks on Kafka .... While picking up the play calls

So now maybe he's running the offense .... Going back to the offense and seeing what Kafka has laid out for him.... Then they discuss what he agrees or disagrees etc

I could be talking completely out my azz but just thought lol

I think if the offense turns it around ..... Daboll may have actually saved  Kafkas career bs him going to run another offense down to the ground ...... now he has the title of "Assistant" Head Coach

I had the same thought: Daboll needs to lean on Kafka (and others) more, not less. And this might make Kafka a more interesting head coach candidate if he takes to running more generalized duties well.

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 30, 2024, 06:36:23 AMI was a critic of Kafka's playcalling. If you don't take shots in early downs, you set yourself up for pressure and Run defense.

That was never quite so clear to me given how much time we have spent bashing Daniel Jones irrespective of who was calling plays.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Not every HC has the ability to call the Plays but that doesn't make them a bad HC. If the HC calls the plays, he has to come up with a game plan and the Game Play Board. He needs to spend a lot of time with the QB and the Offensive Units and Coaches. He relies upon his assistant HC, STC, and DC to fill the voids. Note Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 30, 2024, 10:34:33 AMNot every HC has the ability to call the Plays but that doesn't make them a bad HC. If the HC calls the plays, he has to come up with a game plan and the Game Play Board. He needs to spend a lot of time with the QB and the Offensive Units and Coaches. He relies upon his assistant HC, STC, and DC to fill the voids. Note Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid. 

That makes sense even if at present exactly half the HCs in the League will be calling the plays.

Cheers!

kingm56

Over the last decade, it's become cliché around here to blame the OCs for the Giants putrid offensive production. Ironically, the DC got a pass for generating multiple bottom 5 defenses; funny how that works. 

The fact is, the Giants lacked the skill position talent to generate explosive plays; they also lack the Offensive Line to allow plays to develop, and the QB to make anticipatory throws, deep downfield through tight windows.  Regardless of the OC, this paradigm will not change until we select the talent capable of generating explosive plays.  Outside of rookie Barkley, who fits this description?  Where's our CeeDee Lamb, D Smith, or AJ Brown?  We can talk all we want about coaching and schemes; however, the problem is much simpler: we lacked talent, and unfortunately, I think we still do.  I have high hope Nabers can alter that paradigm. 

kartanoman

This is an interesting discussion regarding the duties of both Daboll and Kafka in this newly arranged Head Coach - Assistant Head Coach working relationship.

The play calling always is the most talked about aspect of the relationship; however, it is important to understand that a head coaching position is far greater a responsibility than just that and it is the myriad of responsibilities we often do not see, or talk about, that are excellent development opportunities for an assistant to engage in so they will be fully exposed to the entire head coaching role.

If any of you have watched the ESPN "30 for 30" episode "The Two Bills," never is the point of grooming, or developing a promising young assistant more critical than when Bill Parcells developed Bill Belichick during their time together in the 1980s with the Giants. Belichick explicitly credits Parcells for taking him aside and showing him elements of head coaching responsibilities he would never have known about unless he was mentored under Big Bill.

I would not be surprised at all if a similar situation is taking place between Daboll and Kafka except the two, together, are possibly sharing elements of the head coaching role AND the offense. The objective, in the end, is to leverage the best of both to benefit the Giants on the field AND the Giants operations while providing continued development for both and taking some stress off their backs.

This is only my opinion but, if I were Schoen, and I had to deal with the mess from last season, this is how I would sell this arrangement to both of them.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 30, 2024, 09:19:21 AMI'm glad coach Daboll is excited. It tells me he likes his personnel and knows this is a make-or-break year for more than just Daniel Jones... in other words, make-or-break might include him as well.

Usually, factors like that tend to increase the likelihood of over-performance.

If the "experts" are correct in saying the Giants have one of the NFL's lowest-ranked personnel groups, they will NEED to over-perform in order to make the playoffs this season.

Bob

Another thought.  Might the weight loss have upped his energy levels.  And from personal experience, significant weight loss can have a salutory effect on mental outlook.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 30, 2024, 03:54:24 PMAnother thought.  Might the weight loss have upped his energy levels.  And from personal experience, significant weight loss can have a salutory effect on mental outlook.
AZ: A factor I had not considered... but I agree completely. Bob