News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants sign oline Roten

Started by MightyGiants, July 30, 2024, 09:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Was he a full time starter ?

If so a bulk of those pressures weren't terrible as he was still fighting trough the whole play for most of them

It's not like those compete whiffs we've seen from Neal and other linemen we put out there

H-Town G-Fan

Makes a lot of sense with Bricillo in the fold. Have to imagine its Van Roten/Eluemenor at RG/RT with Neal recovering from the ankle still. May spell the end of Neal if the Giants get competent play from the right side of the OL.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: killarich on July 30, 2024, 10:07:10 AMWas he a full time starter ?

If so a bulk of those pressures weren't terrible as he was still fighting trough the whole play for most of them

It's not like those compete whiffs we've seen from Neal and other linemen we put out there

Van Roten had 1025 snaps last year, 97% of the Raiders' offensive reps. So yes, he was a full time starter.

killarich

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on July 30, 2024, 10:08:28 AMVan Roten had 1025 snaps last year, 97% of the Raiders' offensive reps. So yes, he was a full time starter.

Well sure seems like Neal's injury combined with lack of personal rehab and attitude might have caused him his job

What a bust .... This is looking worse than Flowers .... At least we got the full rookie contract out of him

killarich

Do we know contract numbers ?

I'm still hoping we can sign a CB2

jgrangers2

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on July 30, 2024, 10:08:28 AMVan Roten had 1025 snaps last year, 97% of the Raiders' offensive reps. So yes, he was a full time starter.

A move that feels like it made way too much sense for us. Full time starter last year for our new OL coach on what is likely a cheap deal.

Philosophers

The Giants do not appear to be reserving Neal's RT position for his return and may very well be moving on as they replace a starting guard spot with a new signing so JE can permanently move to RT.

When a dog can't hunt, a dog can't hunt.

MrGap92

Oh he was Raiders RG last year?

That chemistry with Eleumenor and Bricillo is a good thing, can move Runyan to LG, then all that should make like easier for JMS, hopefully he improves.

I guess Stinnie and EZ are decent enough as depth. Ezeudu was drafted a round or two too high, but as a backup who can play multiple positions, I like it.

We'll eventually need to draft quality OL, but at least this is a start.

NOW, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SHUFFLE THE OL AROUND IN PRESEASON LIKE LAST YEAR!!! Keep the guys where they are, and let them gel.

H-Town G-Fan

Another thought: we literally just took the right-side Guard/Tackle combo from a highly ranked 2023 offensive unit. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but that feels like a win at this point in the offseason and at (presumably) friendly contract numbers.

Bob In PA

Van Roten is what I call a "lighthouse" pass protector.  His head is constantly on a swivel. 

Goes "on high alert" (for a stunt) when there's no one coming right at him immediately (at the snap).

IMO, his worst plays are a noticeable improvement over our guards' average level of play last season.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on July 30, 2024, 10:15:35 AMThe Giants do not appear to be reserving Neal's RT position for his return and may very well be moving on as they replace a starting guard spot with a new signing so JE can permanently move to RT.

When a dog can't hunt, a dog can't hunt.
Phil: Hadn't occurred to me, but I believe you're correct. In a way... too bad.  In another way... good. Bob

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2024, 09:34:25 AMhttps://x.com/doug_analytics/status/1815473583931429212?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

A number of those reps I don't even think are "pressures." Very few in which he was beat badly. The worst to my eye were 2 reps against 54 from the Lions, Alim McNeill... and apparently that guy had an 88 PFF rating last year.

EDIT: I mean, how is the rep at 1:42 versus the Vikings a pressure attributed to Van Roten?

Bob In PA

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on July 30, 2024, 10:19:27 AMAnother thought: we literally just took the right-side Guard/Tackle combo from a highly ranked 2023 offensive unit. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but that feels like a win at this point in the offseason and at (presumably) friendly contract numbers.

H-T: I don't follow the Raiders, but do you happen to know how it is possible (or makes sense?) for them to allow one side of their OL to leave?  Necessity to stay under the cap?  Both guys getting too old?  Already have their replacements?  Bob