News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants sign oline Roten

Started by MightyGiants, July 30, 2024, 09:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on July 30, 2024, 01:24:27 PMJust to clarify--are you saying, in your opinion we have a D (defense) or are you grading the OL as a D

Thanks

Dumpster Dan

Hey Dan! Good to hear from you.  I was referring to the aggregate Oline.

Grading on a scale of 1 (F) through 5 (A+)...here's how I see our line:

LT = 5     
LG = 2
C = 2
RG = 1
RT = 1.5

The average is 2, which equates to below-average, or a D.  This could improve relative to JMS improvements; but we still have massive deficiencies on the Right side. It also assumes all five starters will remain healthy, which is unlikely to happen and we're not deep at any Oline position. 

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 30, 2024, 01:32:53 PMking: Appreciate in-depth analysis and agree mostly. I disagree that we are bottom five.

It's really difficult (statistically)  to be bottom five anything when 20 percent of the guys (1 of 5) is top five or ten.

The rest is a really nice job. People are forgetting that none of the five are known (particularly) for their run-blocking (mostly for good reason lol). I believe our pass blocking will prove to be (absent injuries) in or around middle of the pack.  At this point, what to expect from our run blocking is a complete mystery, but if I had to take a guess I'd say we're going to be unlikely to make third and one or two, or to score TD's on the ground from inside the 5-yd-line, AND... it will take a lot of deception and scheming to make even some basic run-plays work without Barkley.  Just a guess.

Bob

Zero disagreement, Bob; they should improve in Pass-Protection. 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Surprising that he was available, as there was no apparent injury, since he played all 17 games.  Combination of age and salary demands?  I look forward to seeing his contract details.  One good thing is that he hasn't missed many games the past 6 years so maybe he can provide some mentorship to out younger Olinemen is staying health in the NFL.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 30, 2024, 04:45:51 PMSurprising that he was available, as there was no apparent injury, since he played all 17 games.  Combination of age and salary demands?  I look forward to seeing his contract details.  One good thing is that he hasn't missed many games the past 6 years so maybe he can provide some mentorship to out younger Olinemen is staying health in the NFL.

Usually, when a guy who is still capable is not in a camp, they want more money than teams are willing to pay.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Sounds like he was ready to call it a career and we lured him back with a raise possibility.

The new line coach could have been the deciding factor.

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, so I hope it works out.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 31, 2024, 11:16:12 AMThis means Runyon can move back to his position that he is most comfortable with at LG. That alone is good news

Good article: https://gmenhq.com/posts/greg-van-roten-signing-will-lead-obvious-position-change-giants-lineman-jon-runyan-01j424mqag3w?sc=be165671da3b347e2b57f31b3de62ada4335dd4eb041bc409f5188d150192a90

Jolly: That was my first thought. Thanks for remembering what I forgot. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 31, 2024, 11:16:12 AMThis means Runyon can move back to his position that he is most comfortable with at LG. That alone is good news

Good article: https://gmenhq.com/posts/greg-van-roten-signing-will-lead-obvious-position-change-giants-lineman-jon-runyan-01j424mqag3w?sc=be165671da3b347e2b57f31b3de62ada4335dd4eb041bc409f5188d150192a90

Interestingly enough, while LG is his better position, when asked last week about swapping, he was less than enthusiastic about the idea.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE