News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The state of the NY Giants O-line

Started by MightyGiants, July 30, 2024, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

During most of the offseason the starting O-line was projected/hoped to be

Thomas - Eluemunor - JMS - Runyan - Neal

Neal looks far from being ready to play (thanks to the Giants medical staff having him practice last season on a fractured ankle).  At first, Daboll seemed coy, but yesterday, it sounds like the team is less than certain he will be ready to play prior to the end of camp.  Plus, the Giants need time not just for Neal to get back into football shape, but they need to evaluate him at a RT in the NFL.

Now, with the signing of G Greg Van Roten (and we saw it at the end of practice), Runyan is likely moving back to his preferred LG position.  That would put Van Roten in his RG position.  That means Van Roten will be playing alongside Eluemunor on the right, just like the two of them did in Las Vegas last season.

I don't think you make that signing or change up the guards if the Eluemonor to RT was just temporary.

So the line likely will be:

Thomas - Runyan - JMS - Van Roten - Eluemonor

That seems like a solid like.  As for the rest.  I think Neal ends up on PUP to start the season.  I think Ezeudu is one backup. Stinney and Morrissey battled as backup center, and Kubas shot.  A surprise could be either Yodny Cajuste or Josha Miles making the team as another tackle.  I think the interior is set, but without Neal, the team seems pretty thin at tackle. I thought Matt Nelson might d something but the guy seemed to be demoted to 3rd string after one day in pads.

On a related note Carmen Bricillo-  Raanan reported a rumor he wasn't liked by his players.  Bobby Skinner heard something similar from one of his sources (with some guys opting for private training).  I will say this.  First, CB's results speak for themselves.  He took a unit not filled with high picks and got them playing well.  Secondly, two of his followers followed him to the Giants.  You don't follow a coach you think is an a-hole.

On another related note-  Bobby and Justin are advocating for Nick Gates to be re-signed.  I think Nick or someone like Nick is needed.  The O-line is missing that glass eater who loves to start fights.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

I'll take it. That lineup has a competent NFL lineman at each position for the first time in a decade. Still think the limiting factor for this team is going to be Jones/Lock but it gives the team a fighting shot.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MrGap92

ON PAPER, this is the best line we have had in many years.

If it goes from paper to field, even better

However, Roten and Elemenur are 34 and 29 (30 during the season),  so this is a short term fix, I like the movem and like where we are at for this year, but we will still need to draft capable young OL eventually.

However, in present time I look forward to seeing this unit go to work.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MrGap92 on July 30, 2024, 02:53:33 PMON PAPER, this is the best line we have had in many years.

If it goes from paper to field, even better

However, Roten and Elemenur are 34 and 29 (30 during the season),  so this is a short term fix, I like the movem and like where we are at for this year, but we will still need to draft capable young OL eventually.

However, in present time I look forward to seeing this unit go to work.

It's a shame the Giants didn't draft a linemen this year, but I am hopeful about Kubas
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

We needed immediate fixes to the line so I'm ok with the FA spend until we can start drafting competent linemen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 30, 2024, 03:27:06 PMWe needed immediate fixes to the line so I'm ok with the FA spend until we can start drafting competent linemen.

At this point, we have not seen and indication that Joe and company are capable of drafting good O-line

They drafted

Neal high round one
Ezeudu high round three
McKethian round five
JMS round 2

None of them have played to their draft slot.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

With the exception of JMS, everyone on that line is a proven NFL player who is at least "solid."

If JMS is terrible again he's a liability but if he improves to just being "ok", then that seems like it will be a reasonably functional if not fairly decent line.

Consider:

Thomas is an excellent left tackle.

Runyan is a proven serviceable to decent guard who is a very solid pass protector.

Van Roten is a proven good guard.

Eleumenor is a proven solid right tackle.

JMS is a bit of a wildcard because he was a rookie last year but for now he is, until proven otherwise, bad.

Bricilo is an O line coach who proved he can coach a functional, solid unit in Vegas (which was bad when he took over).

I see no reason apart from health issues why this line won't perform at at least an adequate level.

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2024, 03:33:46 PMAt this point, we have not seen and indication that Joe and company are capable of drafting good O-line

They drafted

Neal high round one
Ezeudu high round three
McKethian round five
JMS round 2

None of them have played to their draft slot.

From HK they seem to prioritize their position coaches input on draft prospects. Perhaps they were listening to the wrong person. I'm grasping at straws here. Even if they closed their eyes and threw darts at the board they probably would have hit on one or two of them instead of going 0 for.

Philosophers

Do these particular individuals opposite JMS make him better? 

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on July 30, 2024, 03:39:49 PMFrom HK they seem to prioritize their position coaches input on draft prospects. Perhaps they were listening to the wrong person. I'm grasping at straws here. Even if they closed their eyes and threw darts at the board they probably would have hit on one or two of them instead of going 0 for.

That is one of the reasons Bobby Johnson isn't on the team.  Few positions have more coach involvement in drafting than O-line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

Our OL overhaul underwhelms me.  Better, to be sure but still not what I'd call "good".  I'm hoping for passable.  For one thing, you guys are a lot more confident than I am that JMS will take a big step up at Center.  When we last saw him, he had a long way to go. 

Bob In PA

I can't fathom that Giants (a very expensive NFL scouting dept.) only came up with 2 of 5 starting OL's.

To be fair, it's not like they haven't been trying.

Nevertheless, I suspect they could have done better throwing darts at their "big board" (jeez).  ~X(

Bob

PS. Worked for me in the stock market...  (just kidding).

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2024, 02:35:25 PMDuring most of the offseason the starting O-line was projected/hoped to be

Thomas - Eluemunor - JMS - Runyan - Neal

Neal looks far from being ready to play (thanks to the Giants medical staff having him practice last season on a fractured ankle).  At first, Daboll seemed coy, but yesterday, it sounds like the team is less than certain he will be ready to play prior to the end of camp.  Plus, the Giants need time not just for Neal to get back into football shape, but they need to evaluate him at a RT in the NFL.

Now, with the signing of G Greg Van Roten (and we saw it at the end of practice), Runyan is likely moving back to his preferred LG position.  That would put Van Roten in his RG position.  That means Van Roten will be playing alongside Eluemunor on the right, just like the two of them did in Las Vegas last season.

I don't think you make that signing or change up the guards if the Eluemonor to RT was just temporary.

So the line likely will be:

Thomas - Runyan - JMS - Van Roten - Eluemonor

That seems like a solid like.  As for the rest.  I think Neal ends up on PUP to start the season.  I think Ezeudu is one backup. Stinney and Morrissey battled as backup center, and Kubas shot.  A surprise could be either Yodny Cajuste or Josha Miles making the team as another tackle.  I think the interior is set, but without Neal, the team seems pretty thin at tackle. I thought Matt Nelson might d something but the guy seemed to be demoted to 3rd string after one day in pads.

On a related note Carmen Bricillo-  Raanan reported a rumor he wasn't liked by his players.  Bobby Skinner heard something similar from one of his sources (with some guys opting for private training).  I will say this.  First, CB's results speak for themselves.  He took a unit not filled with high picks and got them playing well.  Secondly, two of his followers followed him to the Giants.  You don't follow a coach you think is an a-hole.

On another related note-  Bobby and Justin are advocating for Nick Gates to be re-signed.  I think Nick or someone like Nick is needed.  The O-line is missing that glass eater who loves to start fights.

Gates signed with Eagles today

Dumpster Dan

GloryDays

We have a Dutchman in our Oline with fine grades> Love that move  =D>