News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Now that HK is over, how do you feel about NYG's management?

Started by MightyGiants, July 31, 2024, 12:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With the insights gained from Hard Knocks,  how do you feel about NYG's management?

Ed Vette

I think I'll refer to some of the insights down the road and reflect on them in light of a situation.

They are a likable group but laid back and take things in stride. I'm not sure that's so bad.

WYSIWYG.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

It feels to me like Dabs is trying to be a player's coach.  Wants to be the cool coach with players. 

Coaches need to win the respect of players which is where young coaches like McDaniels and Judge failed.

It was Parcells who said I think that olayer's egos need to be chopped down and managed.  I think that's a good thing.

4 Aces

I voted less impressed.

I did not see any evidence of a cutting edge, high powered organization.

It looked like a bunch of bros shooting the breeze. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt it was all staged and let the results speak for themselves.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on July 31, 2024, 09:28:24 PMI voted less impressed.

I did not see any evidence of a cutting edge, high powered organization.

It looked like a bunch of bros shooting the breeze. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt it was all staged and let the results speak for themselves.

I know where you're coming from here. I can't really argue. I guess I never had the highest expectations for this group based on the results on the field every year.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 31, 2024, 06:53:21 PMThe cameras were continuous for months.  Also, it's not true that the Giants got to craft or control the message.  The could get things blurred or something deleted but that's all they could do.

If you have hundreds of hours of video you can edit it to tell any story you want.  And I'm talking about the Hard Knocks folks, not the Giants.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 01, 2024, 12:36:57 AMIf you have hundreds of hours of video you can edit it to tell any story you want.  And I'm talking about the Hard Knocks folks, not the Giants.

Fair enough, but some things in the show were just factually said, and no editing/cutting is going to change them. Such as the head coach not knowing what Burns' sack production has looked like in his NFL career, even after Schoen had been talking to Dan Morgan "for months" about Burns.

andrew_nyGiants

I continue to believe the DJ extension was heavily leveraged by Mara, and had it not been for how much cap space he eats away, Mara would've pressed hard to sign Saquon.

His hand wringing and attempted influence on Schoen to resign him was uncomfortable to watch.

Sorry, but IMHO we are not going to see this team contend until (I cannot believe I'm writing this) Mara follows Dolans example and separates himself  from the football operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

nb587

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on August 01, 2024, 08:49:54 AMI continue to believe the DJ extension was heavily leveraged by Mara, and had it not been for how much cap space he eats away, Mara would've pressed hard to sign Saquon.

His hand wringing and attempted influence on Schoen to resign him was uncomfortable to watch.

Sorry, but IMHO we are not going to see this team contend until (I cannot believe I'm writing this) Mara follows Dolans example and separates himself  from the football operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree 100%.   I believe that one of the reasons Mara has backed away some from his meddling is that he is aware that his meddling has hurt the team.  Franchising was created for a player like Jones where he has a good year but the team wants to see it repeated before it commits the big dollars.  I think it's because of Mara's meddling, we franchised Barkley which backed Schoen into a corner with respect to Jones's contract.  Once Barkley was franchised, Jones had all the cards & used them.  The only plus side, I think, is Mara is aware of this & is backing away.  But, it takes time.

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 01, 2024, 12:36:57 AMIf you have hundreds of hours of video you can edit it to tell any story you want.  And I'm talking about the Hard Knocks folks, not the Giants.

Again, I agree; although, the Giants have final say on the edited version; so, it's a combination of Hard Knocks and the Giants media team.  The former's role is to manufacture drama and create a product where non-Giants/casual fans tune-in.  More to the point, do people honestly believe individuals are expressing their true feelings, when they know their actions/words are going to be scrutinized by a large audience?  If a camera was placed in your workplace, would you openly say, "I hate my boss" or "x is terrible at their job?"  Obviously not...so, why do you believe HK represents reality?  Finally, this all pointless anyway, because we're not privy to the linear sequence of events that significantly alters the context of any conversation.  We also don't have access to copious conversations that take place off-camera, which are far more illuminating.  It's a reality TV show...

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on August 01, 2024, 10:10:20 AMAgain, I agree; although, the Giants have final say on the edited version; so, it's a combination of Hard Knocks and the Giants media team.  The former's role is to manufacture drama and create a product where non-Giants/casual fans tune-in.  More to the point, do people honestly believe individuals are expressing their true feelings, when they know their actions/words are going to be scrutinized by a large audience?  If a camera was placed in your workplace, would you openly say, "I hate my boss" or "x is terrible at their job?"  Obviously not...so, why do you believe HK represents reality?  Finally, this all pointless anyway, because we're not privy to the linear sequence of events that significantly alters the context of any conversation.  We also don't have access to copious conversations that take place off-camera, which are far more illuminating.  It's a reality TV show...

A good example of this is when the Giants are "on the clock" and then we see them fretting about whether the guy they want will still available.  When we've previously been told that when a team goes on the clock they are told who the previous team selected even though it hasn't been announced.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 01, 2024, 04:35:04 PMA good example of this is when the Giants are "on the clock" and then we see them fretting about whether the guy they want will still available.  When we've previously been told that when a team goes on the clock they are told who the previous team selected even though it hasn't been announced.

The team knows who was picked as soon as they go on the clock.  I am not sure why HK didn't make that clear
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 01, 2024, 05:02:14 PMThe team knows who was picked as soon as they go on the clock.  I am not sure why HK didn't make that clear

I don't either.  But they did it twice, so it wasn't an accident, and it shows that you can't take what they show you at face value.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 01, 2024, 05:11:12 PMI don't either.  But they did it twice, so it wasn't an accident, and it shows that you can't take what they show you at face value.

Every team has a table set up at the draft venue, where team representatives stay in constant contact with executives at each club's headquarters. When a team decides on a selection, it communicates the player's name from its draft room to its representatives at Selection Square. The team representative then writes the player's name, position and school on a card and submits it to an NFL staff member known as a runner.

When the runner gets the card, the selection is official, and the draft clock is reset for the next pick. A second runner goes to the representatives of the team up next and lets them know who was chosen.

Upon receiving the card, the first runner immediately radios the selection to a NFL Player Personnel representative, who inputs the player's name into a database that notifies all clubs of the pick. The runner also walks the card to the head table, where it's given to Ken Fiore, vice president of player personnel.

Fiore reviews the name for accuracy and records the pick. He then shares the name with the NFL's broadcast partners, the commissioner and other league or team representatives so they can announce the pick.

https://operations.nfl.com/journey-to-the-nfl/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 01, 2024, 05:14:21 PMEvery team has a table set up at the draft venue, where team representatives stay in constant contact with executives at each club's headquarters. When a team decides on a selection, it communicates the player's name from its draft room to its representatives at Selection Square. The team representative then writes the player's name, position and school on a card and submits it to an NFL staff member known as a runner.

When the runner gets the card, the selection is official, and the draft clock is reset for the next pick. A second runner goes to the representatives of the team up next and lets them know who was chosen.

Upon receiving the card, the first runner immediately radios the selection to a NFL Player Personnel representative, who inputs the player's name into a database that notifies all clubs of the pick. The runner also walks the card to the head table, where it's given to Ken Fiore, vice president of player personnel.

Fiore reviews the name for accuracy and records the pick. He then shares the name with the NFL's broadcast partners, the commissioner and other league or team representatives so they can announce the pick.

https://operations.nfl.com/journey-to-the-nfl/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

I knew there was some mechanism, but its nice to know the details the process, so thank you.

But that doesn't speak to HK distorting the timeline.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 01, 2024, 06:30:17 PMI knew there was some mechanism, but its nice to know the details the process, so thank you.

But that doesn't speak to HK distorting the timeline.

The Giants draft room will learn of the pick via call and text from the table at the draft.  I suspect HK didn't think that made for good TV.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE