News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Van Roten a good blocker in space

Started by MightyGiants, August 01, 2024, 06:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

These free agents by Schoen are no world beaters but seem like they could be competent and they have a whole training camp towards becoming a cohesive effective unit.  They won't have that far to to be an upgrade or a significant upgrade to the last few years. I'm just asking for adequate.

I contrast this process with Gettleman's who waited until cut down day to pick up castoffs and traded a useful BJ Hill and threw in a 7th round pick for Billy Price from the Bengals who also had a bad OL.  Bringing in bad OL with no training camp was a recipe for disaster

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Is VanRoten considered a much better guard than Pugh?

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Trench on August 02, 2024, 11:51:37 AMIs VanRoten considered a much better guard than Pugh?

2023 Pugh? Absolutely

spiderblue43

There should be chemistry with JE ..a good thing on the right side. Feel like this lineup healthy is aquedate.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on August 02, 2024, 11:51:37 AMIs VanRoten considered a much better guard than Pugh?

From pff:

Pugh - 41.6
Van Roten - 75.3

Pff is not the end all, but a difference that big has to signify.  Plus Van Roten has proven far less injury prone.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

bamagiantfan

"..........he's played for Bricillo as well as a year under Daboll at Buffalo"

That! They know what they are getting, despite the open age discrimination by the critics. They didn't draft him to be the guy for the next 5 years. They signed a capable player on the cheap to a short term deal.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

If this guy is as good as many here seem to be saying, this will go down as one of the bigger steals by any NFL team in this offseason. Quality O linemen who can legit play are scarce right now.

I mean the Giants paid $10m/year for 3 years with a $17m guarantee to basically an average starting guard earlier in the offseason. Either we got fleeced on Runyan, Van Roten isn't as good as people think, or we got the steal of the century on Van Roten.

Will be interesting to see which is the case.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 01, 2024, 06:58:58 AMDo we have any concerns at all about Van Roten's age? I appreciate he put up a 75 PFF last year and seems to still be good, but 34 is up there.
Not for 1 year.  If it was a multi-year, then yes. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 02, 2024, 07:02:09 PMIf this guy is as good as many here seem to be saying, this will go down as one of the bigger steals by any NFL team in this offseason. Quality O linemen who can legit play are scarce right now.

I mean the Giants paid $10m/year for 3 years with a $17m guarantee to basically an average starting guard earlier in the offseason. Either we got fleeced on Runyan, Van Roten isn't as good as people think, or we got the steal of the century on Van Roten.

Will be interesting to see which is the case.

Or it the difference between signing a 26 year old and a 34 year old.

And its more than people here.  It is 75.3 vs. 54.7 on pff's scale.  Although I agree it is perplexing that Van Roten was available for such a low ptice.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll