News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why I believe the Giants passed on a QB this year

Started by MightyGiants, August 03, 2024, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

This discussion pertains to the 6 QBs drafted in round one.   I think the first thing worth noting is that the Giants only gave Drake Maye a blue designation among the six.  The Giants have always been old school in terms of expecting the QB to be a high character (which earns you the blue designation) guy who is naturally among the leaders of the team.   So, for all of the talk of the other QB prospects, none of them impressed, in terms of character, outside of Drake Maye.   

Now we know for a fact that Daboll signed up Jayden Daniels (the others gave less clear answers when asked).  So, the Giants may have considered Daniels as another draftable quarterback.

I think another comment was made by Assistant GM Brandon Brown.  He essentially talked about how quickly the QB drafted would pay dividends.  I would think outside of Calib Williams and maybe Bo Nix, there wasn't a prospect who seemed likely to shine in their rookie season (this would have been a real ding against JJ who didn't have a great many passing snaps at Michigan).

I also thought it was interesting that Penix was not given an injury designation by the Giants.  Take away the injury designation the only negatives with Penix were his issues with pressure (not a good thing if you are going to be a Giant) and his age.

So the Giants, for the right price, would have liked to have Maye (and at least Daboll Daniels) and I guess we could assume Caleb Williams; they saw JJ as too a long-term project, Penix not being suited to play behind the Giants line, and I guess they didn't see Nix's talent/upside as much better than DJ's (plus an age issue).

All that said, I really think the lack of blue designations among the six was one of the biggest reasons.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I think it's as simple as they liked all three of the top three QBs and would have moved up to the 3-hole for any of the three at a price that wasn't totally insane and unjustifiable, but they didn't view any of the others as a top 10 (or even in some cases first round) pick. In their scenario where they talked about moving down to nine, the possibility of taking any of the non-top 3's never came up.

It was either one of the top three, or none at all. I'd say that is now very clear.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 03, 2024, 08:49:32 AMI think it's as simple as they liked all three of the top three QBs and would have moved up to the 3-hole for any of the three at a price that wasn't totally insane and unjustifiable, but they didn't view any of the others as a top 10 (or even in some cases first round) pick. In their scenario where they talked about moving down to nine, the possibility of taking any of the non-top 3's never came up.

It was either one of the top three, or none at all. I'd say that is now very clear.

I also believe that for a team to maximize their chance of developing the QB they draft, they need the proper support.  Without a true number one receiver like Nabers, this team lacked the QB support infrastructure which lowered the chances of success regardless of the QB drafted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 03, 2024, 08:55:10 AMI also believe that for a team to maximize their chance of developing the QB they draft, they need the proper support.  Without a true number one receiver like Nabers, this team lacked the QB support infrastructure which lowered the chances of success regardless of the QB drafted.

I don't disagree with the above point, but given they were always going to be forced to keep Jones on the roster in 2024 no matter what (nobody in the league would have even considered trading for him), they would have been under no pressure at all to play any QB they drafted in this past draft in 2024. They could have devoted the 2025 draft and 2025 free agency period to building up the offense around their young QB, and with Jones coming off the books they would have been in a nice position to do that. Plus they probably would have been picking at or close to the top five again (imagine this offense without Nabers).

So I'm personally not convinced that the above was the reason they didn't take any of the remaining QBs. I think their grades on the non-big three simply weren't high enough to justify taking any of them sixth overall in the draft, or anywhere near sixth for that matter. I don't personally believe anything else played in.

Philosophers

If Nabers is a long tenured top player, he needed to be the pick.  You win with talent.

todge

We know it was discussed but if the Pats said yes, I'm not sure the Giants would have given up all those picks. I think Nabers was their guy from the get go.

George Young did not believe in ever moving up. His thought was that the guy you coveted may not turn out to be better than the player you ended up with. He cited Mark Bavaro as case in point.

Nabers will give this team the weapon they so desperately need. It looks as if a struggling Maye would have sat behind Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkavage

I remember hearing many negatives about Maye from various sources. He would not have played much this year regardless. They toyed with JJ, feigning interest that wasn't there. Never had an interest in Penix or Nix. It was Daniels who I think they would have grabbed, but meaningless wins at the end of the year doomed them for that scenario while a division rival was able to cash in on their ineptitude. Once Nabers was picked I said, see you all here next year at this time. They will be on the clock for a QB most likely.

DaveBrown74

You trade up to get a QB based on your 10-plus year outlook of the player, not based on whether or not he will play as a rookie.

I'm thrilled we have Nabers because I believe he's an elite talent who plays a premium position and addresses a major area of need, but whether Maye would have been NFL-ready from day one or not would not have moved the needle for me at all. Patrick Mahomes didn't play his rookie season either. I don't think that is part of the equation at all for that decision.

Philosophers

If DJ fails and they draft a QB in 2025, Nabers will be in his 3rd year before a new QB is in his 2nd year thus wasting 2 years of Nabers rookie contract.