News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Run defense expectations for 2024

Started by DaveBrown74, August 04, 2024, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Last year the Giants had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL, both from the standpoint of rushing yards allowed per game (fourth worst) as well as rushing yards allowed per carry (third worst). They were truly terrible in this department.

To me, stopping the run is one of the cornerstones of being a good defense. Even though it's a passing league now, if you are woefully deficient at stopping the run, which the Giants clearly were last year, teams will identify and exploit this deficiency and just keep relentlessly killing you on the ground all game. Invariably, this makes it a lot easier for them to throw all over you as well given the down and distance situations they find themselves in.

While I like some things about our defense, what evidence is there to believe that the run defense will be improved this year? Considering how poor it was last year despite an all pro season for Dexter Lawrence and a pro bowl caliber season for Okereke (I know he didn't officially make it but that was widely considered a snub), why would it be much better this year? Or do you expect it to remain a major problem?

sxdxca38

I'm not sure if Burns is good at stopping the run?

but I don't think they've added anyone to improve them in this area.

However, if the defensive scheme is different, that may play a part in helping it.

I think if they can be just average in this regard I would be happy with it.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 04, 2024, 04:04:47 PMLast year the Giants had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL, both from the standpoint of rushing yards allowed per game (fourth worst) as well as rushing yards allowed per carry (third worst). They were truly terrible in this department.

To me, stopping the run is one of the cornerstones of being a good defense. Even though it's a passing league now, if you are woefully deficient at stopping the run, which the Giants clearly were last year, teams will identify and exploit this deficiency and just keep relentlessly killing you on the ground all game. Invariably, this makes it a lot easier for them to throw all over you as well given the down and distance situations they find themselves in.

While I like some things about our defense, what evidence is there to believe that the run defense will be improved this year? Considering how poor it was last year despite an all pro season for Dexter Lawrence and a pro bowl caliber season for Okereke (I know he didn't officially make it but that was widely considered a snub), why would it be much better this year? Or do you expect it to remain a major problem?

Did Wink's blitz heavy scheme leave them open to the run?  If so run defense might improve just because of Bowen's approach.  What we can maybe draw hope from is that he led the top yards per game run defense in 2021 and 2022 before dropping to 14th in 2023.  And his run defense was 6th, 1st, and 5th in YPC in those same years.  So there's hope.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

gregf

I was unimpressed with Roches. I'll be watching the starting DT depth outside of Dex.  Rich said they looked good so far. Burns shoukd help too. I wonder if Simmons can carve out a role racking up tackles?

Ed Vette

Although there was a high percentage of Runs at Tackle to End, the majority of the yards given up were up the middle. The Edge Players didn't support the inside runs well. The majority of the team had putrid individual grades. McKinney was the 4th best in Run Defense and the best Tackler on the team. He had 388 snaps in the Box and 167 from the Slot. 30-40% of the Snaps are Run Defense for the Edges. Ward- 40.4, Bashum- 57.3, Simmons, 54.7, Ojulari- 47.6 and Thibs- 52.3.

You would think that because Dex, Okereke and McFadden were solid at Run Defense, that the middle would be sound. The problem was the other support players were a liability. The Corners were overall poor in Run Defense, missed tackles were their forte. Burns was getting wows at camp for pressure but his Run Defense LY was 62.7 and 48.9 in Tackling.

Clearly the focus LY was in the Pass Rush. They lacked in fundamentals and only after they had a bad game, did Wink work on that in practice. Scheme, Play Calling, and Base defense won't matter if the players fail to execute and the basic fundamentals are not stressed in individual drills.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin