News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Next year

Started by ralphpal1, August 04, 2024, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

Now we know the Giants passed on some QBs because they thought they weren't worth a 6 round pick and maybe they love nabers
But what happens if they pick early again
And none of the QBs are worth early pick?
Do they bypass a QB again
Pick one and try to make it work
But wouldn't make sense cause they didn't do that for these QBs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: ralphpal1 on August 04, 2024, 06:06:36 PMNow we know the Giants passed on some QBs because they thought they weren't worth a 6 round pick and maybe they love nabers

But assuming Nabers, and some others, turn out to be the weapons we hope they will be it will be very different next year.  They won't be facing a trade-off between giving away the store for what may be only a marginal improvement in QB vs. acquiring a real weapon.  If they are dissatisfied with Jones' play and there is no QB worthy of a high draft pick they could go FA.  Then they can use that high pick to get a difference maker on defense.  Or trade down and strengthen several positions.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

madbadger

Quote from: ralphpal1 on August 04, 2024, 06:06:36 PMNow we know the Giants passed on some QBs because they thought they weren't worth a 6 round pick and maybe they love nabers

They let Jones go and use the cap savings to fix the roster. If they aren't sold on Lock they'll add another cheap vet and wait until 2026. IMHO They should start accumulating draft picks as Arch Manning might be in that draft. There's a certain symmetry in finally finding a worthy heir to Manning with another Manning.

MightyGiants

One thing that troubles me in terms of picking a QB next draft is Schoen didn't acquire any extra draft capital for next year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Ifbt
Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2024, 07:45:39 AMOne thing that troubles me in terms of picking a QB next draft is Schoen didn't acquire any extra draft capital for next year.

If they are drafting a QB next year, I doubt it will be Schoen and Dabs doing it.

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on August 05, 2024, 08:51:57 AMIfbt
If they are drafting a QB next year, I doubt it will be Schoen and Dabs doing it.
The QB is unquestionably the most important position on the roster.

Schoen and Daboll did not draft Jones, but did give him a new contract.

If you were the owner, what scenario would prompt you to fire both of them after the season, knowing that they inherited Jones, along with a roster that was devoid of talent, save for a handful of players?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MrGap92

Quote from: T200 on August 05, 2024, 09:38:16 AMThe QB is unquestionably the most important position on the roster.

Schoen and Daboll did not draft Jones, but did give him a new contract.

If you were the owner, what scenario would prompt you to fire both of them after the season, knowing that they inherited Jones, along with a roster that was devoid of talent, save for a handful of players?

This, plus a disastrous cap hell situation, to put it lightly.

Dabolls a COTY just one year removed, that ain't nothing, and his claim to HC jobs was developing Josh Allen, you don't think they wouldn't at least let him try with his guy?

They will be here for a few more seasons at least.

T200

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 05, 2024, 11:03:11 AMThis, plus a disastrous cap hell situation, to put it lightly.

Dabolls a COTY just one year removed, that ain't nothing, and his claim to HC jobs was developing Josh Allen, you don't think they wouldn't at least let him try with his guy?

They will be here for a few more seasons at least.

Unless Daboll completely loses the locker room in the next year or two, he's still got time.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MrGap92

I agree, it would take something absolutely catastrophic

Seeing as the players seem to love him, it just appears unlikely.

With him calling plays, and a better OL, should be interesting to see how things play out. He has had two years as a HC, so I am sure he is used to the job enough to be able to handle play calling.

Fingers crossed

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2024, 07:45:39 AMOne thing that troubles me in terms of picking a QB next draft is Schoen didn't acquire any extra draft capital for next year.

What bad teams haven drafted a quarterback in the last two drafts? There won't be as much competition for the top quarterbacks as there has been the last couple of years.

MrGap92

Quote from: madbadger on August 05, 2024, 11:45:14 AMWhat bad teams haven drafted a quarterback in the last two drafts? There won't be as much competition for the top quarterbacks as there has been the last couple of years.

Still could be teams looking to acquire one

Saints, Jets, Seahawks, Rams, Raiders, Steelers, Browns could all see themselves in the QB market in the next 2 years, assuming I didn't forget anyone. If Fields lights it up maybe not Pittsburgh.

Now will they be bad enough to get a top spot? That I don't know. But if a bidding war ensues and NYG is looking to trade up, that could be a problem.

madbadger

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 05, 2024, 12:12:04 PMStill could be teams looking to acquire one

Saints, Jets, Seahawks, Rams, Raiders, Steelers, Browns could all see themselves in the QB market in the next 2 years, assuming I didn't forget anyone. If Fields lights it up maybe not Pittsburgh.

Now will they be bad enough to get a top spot? That I don't know. But if a bidding war ensues and NYG is looking to trade up, that could be a problem.

The cost to move up to a top three pick from pick 5 or six is expensive but not back breaking. Moving up from outside the top 10 is.

MrGap92

Quote from: madbadger on August 05, 2024, 01:33:40 PMThe cost to move up to a top three pick from pick 5 or six is expensive but not back breaking. Moving up from outside the top 10 is.

Did you watch Hard Knocks?

Jclayton92

Likely 4 Qbs going in the 1st next year at minimum plus some mid round guys, so there will be someone there.

Sanders
Dart
Ewers
Mccall

Weigman
Gabriel
Leonard
Van Dyke
Allar

Etc

madbadger

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 05, 2024, 02:15:39 PMDid you watch Hard Knocks?

I did. I even saw when Schoen dismissed Indy out of hand when they made us an offer for six that he thought was far too light, which by the way wouldn't command a premium like a top 3 pick.