News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hurts reached out to Wink

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2024, 11:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

(Spock to Captain Kirk)

Fascinating, and quite logical, Captain!

After an undesirable ending to last season, why not go back and try to capture some lessons learned from opponents' coaches who are no longer under obligation to maintain their Proprietary Information of their former teams, right? Maybe dig a little and get some background information on some of the players still there to learn about their skillsets and tendencies, and then compare them to what the Iggles' coaches have gathered to date. In fact, it's a brilliant idea!

But here's the gray area question: is Wink under any obligation to protect "sensitive information" of the New York Football Giants' organization that, if disclosed, could provide another team, or teams, a competitive advantage? If so, can/should the Giants pursue legal action against both the Eagles and Martindale for sharing Giants' organization "sensitive information?"

Query your thoughts on this.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on August 07, 2024, 12:18:28 PM(Spock to Captain Kirk)

Fascinating, and quite logical, Captain!

After an undesirable ending to last season, why not go back and try to capture some lessons learned from opponents' coaches who are no longer under obligation to maintain their Proprietary Information of their former teams, right? Maybe dig a little and get some background information on some of the players still there to learn about their skillsets and tendencies, and then compare them to what the Iggles' coaches have gathered to date. In fact, it's a brilliant idea!

But here's the gray area question: is Wink under any obligation to protect "sensitive information" of the New York Football Giants' organization that, if disclosed, could provide another team, or teams, a competitive advantage? If so, can/should the Giants pursue legal action against both the Eagles and Martindale for sharing Giants' organization "sensitive information?"

Query your thoughts on this.

Peace!

I can't imagine there are NDAs and no-compete clauses in contracts, too much movement in terms of job changes and the league always has to be careful in terms of anti-trust
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 07, 2024, 12:32:04 PMI can't imagine there are NDAs and no-compete clauses in contracts, too much movement in terms of job changes and the league always has to be careful in terms of anti-trust

I have always wondered about that, Rich @MightyGiants . I've studied Patent Law in my graduate studies and deal with supply chain contracting and T&Cs which deal with this very subject. I would imagine you are correct and the game has seen blatant examples of this (e.g. Chucky Gruden leaving the Raiders in 2001, going to Tampa Bay in 2002, playing the Raiders in the Super Bowl and blowing them out). The following year he and his team stunk.

I'm very surprised in this day and age that this isn't a concern or it hasn't been discussed by the Competition Committee which John Mara is the chair.

But the main point is Hurts deserves all the credit for examining every possible way to try to improve his game. Seeking feedback from a former opposing coach, to learn how one team game-planned against him, will shed some insight which could help him better prepare for opponents, in general. As for the Giants, since a new defensive coordinator is running the show, there will be little to gain as far as formations and strategy; however, it depends on Wink's integrity as to whether or not he decides to share his thoughts about individual players and their strengths and weaknesses in certain schemes.

Peace!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

EDjohnst1981

I think it illustrates some decent leadership from Hurts. He's looking to improve by any means possible. Good for him.

AZGiantFan

Why would Wink have any special insight into Bowen's defense?  Personally, while I doubt if there is any legal impediment, I view it as a low class move that just confirms my opinion of Wink.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: kartanoman on August 07, 2024, 12:18:28 PMis Wink under any obligation to protect "sensitive information" of the New York Football Giants' organization that, if disclosed, could provide another team, or teams, a competitive advantage?

K-Man: IMO knowing an opponent's game plan is like a train ticket - good for this day and this train only.

Hearing a former coach talk generally about his team's past approach could mean Hurts did not like or fully believe in the offense being run by the Eagles (note: they DID ultimately shed their offensive coordinator, so there could be something to that supposition).

But more likely, this particular action by Hurts, in this particular situation, is more of a "tip-of-the-hat" to show respect for a coach's knowledge of the game and overall body of work. Inasmuch as Hurts' dad is/was also a football coach, that factor may also be involved.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 07, 2024, 05:00:45 PMK-Man: IMO knowing an opponent's game plan is like a train ticket - good for this day and this train only.

Hearing a former coach talk generally about his team's past approach could mean Hurts did not like or fully believe in the offense being run by the Eagles (note: they DID ultimately shed their offensive coordinator, so there could be something to that supposition).

But more likely, this particular action by Hurts, in this particular situation, is more of a "tip-of-the-hat" to show respect for a coach's knowledge of the game and overall body of work. Inasmuch as Hurts' dad is/was also a football coach, that factor may also be involved.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I really like that point and wasn't aware his dad also was a football coach. I can accept that angle as well. But, if I was Hurts, I'd still ask Wink for any tips on how to handle the big guys up front for the Giants. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Peace!

miss86

Why would Wink announce this to the media? Ego boost? Guess the guy can't keep anything to himself.

Jclayton92

Quote from: miss86 on August 07, 2024, 09:45:17 PMWhy would Wink announce this to the media? Ego boost? Guess the guy can't keep anything to himself.
He had to take a big demotion to college, he likely needs to keep his name relevant with the media.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: miss86 on August 07, 2024, 09:45:17 PMWhy would Wink announce this to the media? Ego boost? Guess the guy can't keep anything to himself.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

There's a reason this guy ran himself out of a good job in Baltimore and now the NFL in general.

MightyGiants

To clarify, what Wink provided Hurts was a DC's view of the Eagles' offense (their strengths and weaknesses). While this may seem like some sort of secret sauce, teams will do something similar in-house. In the off-weeks and in the offseason, it's not unusual for teams to self-scout and for their DC to scout the team's offense and vice versa.

I think the conversation speaks more to Hurts not trusting his own coaches than anything else.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE