News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Most starters not playing tonight

Started by MightyGiants, August 08, 2024, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
As noted on
@SportsCenter
 just now: Most Giants starters, including quarterback Daniel Jones and rookie WR Malik Nabers, are not expected to play tonight in their preseason opener against the Lions, per sources.

They had two intense joint-practices with the Lions this week. Next week they don't have any joint practices before a Saturday preseason game in Houston. That seems the most likely spot to get the first-team offense and defense some preseason playing time.
8:04 AM · Aug 8, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1821517779356254612
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MrGap92

I don't like the approach, but fair enough

Last thing I want to see is us barely playing guys again and then they are out of rhythm yet again

TDToomer

I hate it. They should all play the 1st quarter/2 series.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 08, 2024, 09:22:09 AMI don't like the approach, but fair enough

Last thing I want to see is us barely playing guys again and then they are out of rhythm yet again

Having attended the first of the two joint practices, I can attest to the intensity.   The preseason/training camp is a fine balancing act between keeping players healthy and getting them ready.   If they have the starters playing a half a game next week (and more in game three if needed) I am okay with this decision.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MrGap92

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2024, 09:33:34 AMHaving attended the first of the two joint practices, I can attest to the intensity.   The preseason/training camp is a fine balancing act between keeping players healthy and getting them ready.   If they have the starters playing a half a game next week (and more in game three if needed) I am okay with this decision.

Fair point, they seem to have made some changes to this offseason overall, just weary after last year, but, the approach is different, so valid.

Gmo11

I would be more furious if Jones or Nabers or Burns were to blow out a knee because they simply had to play a meaningless exhibition game.

Trench

Preseason is a waste of time if you aren't going to play your starters to get them ready. We saw it last year.

Also, what benefit is there to playing a preseason game in August at 1pm next week?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2024, 09:33:34 AMHaving attended the first of the two joint practices, I can attest to the intensity.   The preseason/training camp is a fine balancing act between keeping players healthy and getting them ready.   If they have the starters playing a half a game next week (and more in game three if needed) I am okay with this decision.

Was there much of an injury toll during those 2 days of practice with Detroit? I don't remember reading about this either way.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 08, 2024, 10:57:52 AMWas there much of an injury toll during those 2 days of practice with Detroit? I don't remember reading about this either way.

Burns had an ankle issue, but he returned after getting it taped up.  They fear Nabers suffered a shoulder injury, but he didn't miss a play.  I believe a couple of 2nd/3rd stringers got banged up, but I can't remember who they were.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2024, 09:33:34 AMHaving attended the first of the two joint practices, I can attest to the intensity.  The preseason/training camp is a fine balancing act between keeping players healthy and getting them ready.  If they have the starters playing a half a game next week (and more in game three if needed) I am okay with this decision.

I think there's 0% chance the starters play half the game in game 2 and even more in game 3.

My guess is starters play first quarter (and maybe less) in game 2, with some even sitting out its entirety. Not sure I'd expect the starters to even play half of game 3.

Not saying I agree with it, juts what I think will happen.

jimc

Quote from: Trench on August 08, 2024, 10:55:30 AMPreseason is a waste of time if you aren't going to play your starters to get them ready. We saw it last year.

Also, what benefit is there to playing a preseason game in August at 1pm next week?

You need to evaluate the rest of the roster.  You have 90 players and can only keep 53 plus PS.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 08, 2024, 11:17:55 AMI think there's 0% chance the starters play half the game in game 2 and even more in game 3.

My guess is starters play first quarter (and maybe less) in game 2, with some even sitting out its entirety. Not sure I'd expect the starters to even play half of game 3.

Not saying I agree with it, juts what I think will happen.

I am not trying to predict what they will do.  Rather, I was stating what I would like to see them do.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Just flipped on the Steelers/Texans week one preseason game. Both Stroud and Fields are playing (Russell Wilson is injured).

Why Jones didn't play at all last night I have no idea. If it's because he is recovering from an ACL injury why has he been fully practicing?