News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants' Running Backs

Started by DaveBrown74, August 08, 2024, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

With the obvious and very true disclaimer that this is just preseason, I think it's worth highlighting how our RBs did in this game:

Turbo Miller: 12 carries, 63 yards (5.3 YPC), plus 2 catches for 7 yards.

Eric Gray: 4 carries, 52 yards (13 YPC), 2 rushing touchdowns, plus 4 catches for 46 yards.

Tyrone Tracy Jr: 4 carries, 26 yaard (5.2 YPC).

I think all three of these guys did a great job. They all looked very good.

I also think our O line play was a huge part of it, and that's a good thing, not a bad thing, for everyone involved.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 08, 2024, 10:22:07 PMWith the obvious and very true disclaimer that this is just preseason, I think it's worth highlighting how our RBs did in this game:

Eric Gray: 4 carries, 52 yards (13 YPC), 2 rushing touchdowns, plus 4 catches for 46 yards.

I also think our O line play was a huge part of it, and that's a good thing, not a bad thing, for everyone involved.

Good post. I predict these kids will be the surprise of the team.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 08, 2024, 10:22:07 PMWith the obvious and very true disclaimer that this is just preseason, I think it's worth highlighting how our RBs did in this game:

Jeff - didnt all three each have one big run so if you ignore it their YPC is more pedestrian?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on August 08, 2024, 10:47:47 PMJeff - didnt all three each have one big run so if you ignore it their YPC is more pedestrian?

Joe,

That's true of Miller for sure, although even on his short runs I thought he looked spry and feisty.

Gray had the big TD run but had a couple of nice receiving plays and generally looked good.

Tracey looked good on a couple of short runs.

I think you make a valid point but I wouldn't say it detracts from their overall performances.

What I also don't want to gloss over is how well the line blocked. The line looked well-coached and cohesive in this game. That directly contributed to the RB performances.

H-Town G-Fan

I mean I guess if you ignore a player's best plays they look worse... But what else would you expect?

spiderblue43

Eric Gray has got to prove he's improved in pass protection, but he did impress tonite. Turbo is a keeper for me. With Tracy, I think they have a potentially solid rotation with improved line play.

Good results out of the gate. Injuries are going to happen-we all know that. So, a compliment of backs is a nice thing to work with.

MrGap92

Quote from: Philosophers on August 08, 2024, 10:47:47 PMJeff - didnt all three each have one big run so if you ignore it their YPC is more pedestrian?

I don't think this is fair, if we take any players best plays the numbers aren't going to look great in almost any scenario

coggs

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 09, 2024, 08:22:14 AMI don't think this is fair, if we take any players best plays the numbers aren't going to look great in almost any scenario
I disagree, it is fair.  Need consistency.  Having a running game where the totals are 1, 1, 3, -1, 0, 50 (TD), 2, -1, 9, 0, 40, is not going to lead to wins.  On the otherhand, IF some of those 1, 2, 3 yard runs were on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and the first down was picked up, then those are also good runs despite the numbers.

T200

I've already gone on record saying that the Giants' RBC will be more successful than SB. Not backing away from that. And last night didn't include Singletary.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

bamagiantfan

Gray turned an 8-yard run into a TD with a ridiculous cut. If you haven't seen the highlight it is worth looking up. I wouldn't dismiss that. He looked good on his other touches as well.

Miller showed a lot of promise but would be better after a year in an NFL weight room. He looks like a poor man's Jamir Gibbs, only smaller.

Tracy can run and catch. We know that, but is he ready to be an NFL RB? After last night I would say, "No." It wasn't clear on which play Lock was injured. I think it was on the missed blitz pickup by Taylor. I thought that was his last snap of the night but he actually did play a couple more.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: coggs on August 09, 2024, 08:38:30 AMI disagree, it is fair.  Need consistency.  Having a running game where the totals are 1, 1, 3, -1, 0, 50 (TD), 2, -1, 9, 0, 40, is not going to lead to wins.  On the otherhand, IF some of those 1, 2, 3 yard runs were on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and the first down was picked up, then those are also good runs despite the numbers.

How can you say this is supported when NFL offenses are continually looking towards chunk yardage plays? There's a reason this is happening: chunk plays correlate very highly with scoring drives, which correlates with winning. I'm not aware of anything that suggests having a "consistent" running attack has intrinsic value if it does not directly lead to points. There may be extrinsic factors that are benefitted from consistency (consistent pressure on the defense), but we know there are extrinsic factors that chunk plays also benefit (defense scared to get beat deep). So I'm not sure you can really say one is "better" than the other in the abstract--the goal is to score (and prevent the other team from scoring) points.

killarich

I mean that's the life of NFL Runningbacks.... I can remember multiple games where Barkley would be averaging 2 ypc until he breaks that one huge run

Even back in the Tiki days when I was a youngbuck I can remember him looking average until he bust opened those 50 + yard runs.... but with Tiki you almost always expected one of those runs every game... He was a different beast

BluesCruz

Still missing the "franchise face" Dave LOL. told you so
Barkley was plugging up the works with his ball carrying demands and little to show for it.  went down with an arm tackle behind the LOS
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Trench

Quote from: T200 on August 09, 2024, 08:52:12 AMI've already gone on record saying that the Giants' RBC will be more successful than SB. Not backing away from that. And last night didn't include Singletary.

I'm on record with you on this