News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If the Giants only keep 3 RBs

Started by MightyGiants, August 11, 2024, 09:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Figure Singletary is a lock

So which two do you keep of the following three?

Eric Gray
Dante Miller
Tyrone Tracy

Why those two or do you keep 4 RBs?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I can't commit to four RB's without knowing the needs of the rest of the roster. It's too early to judge after one game, who stays and who goes but to satisfy the question, Miller is the odd man out. Unfortunately, no matter who it is, they don't clear wavers. I can't even say who would be the best in pass protection. Tracy was a former Receiver so he's definitely a two way Back. Gray was drafted last year. Turbo has to win a job based on Special Teams. I don't recall him taking punts or as a gunner.

I know you like this kid and he's your dark horse to my Tre Hawkins.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

What is the order of their pass blocking ability?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2024, 09:15:20 AMFigure Singletary is a lock

Eric Gray
Dante Miller
Tyrone Tracy

If I had to answer this question today (and to be clear I think it's difficult to with confidence), I'd go with Gray and Tracey.

Turbo is a really great story and I am rooting for him, but I'm not sure what he brings to the table apart speed. Tracey has real talent, and he showed real ability to make guys miss at the line of scrimmage, which is an important skill for an NFL RB. I have been fairly high on Tracey's potential since he was picked, so he definitely would not be the one I'd eliminate.

So it comes down to the other two for me.

Gray has a bit more of a pedigree, and although he didn't really do anything to impress last year, he didn't have tons of opportunity. I'd be inclined to give him a shot if I had to pick between these last two. He showed some twitch and burst in the Lions game, and while I understand he wasn't going up against a start front seven, he didn't have a starting O line blocking for him either. He also looked good in the passing game.

I have no clue who is better in pass blocking and blitz pickup, but I agree that should be a consideration in this. So should specials.

I need to see more, but if I had to cut one of them right now I'd cut Turbo even though I have no desire to do that.

bamagiantfan

If all four are healthy at the end of preseason, I think one will mysteriously come up with a calf injury or pulled hamstring and wind up on IR-Return.  ;)
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Motor is not a 250 carry guy. He is (in all but one season) a sub 200 carry guy. I have a hard time seeing them only rostering three this year, myself.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 11, 2024, 10:40:06 AMMotor is not a 250 carry guy. He is (in all but one season) a sub 200 carry guy. I have a hard time seeing them only rostering three this year, myself.

Yes, that is definitely a consideration. Gray (last year) and Taylor were just drafted, so I don't see them going anywhere. Miller could fit and Kickoff Returner may be a possibility for him. Beyond that, aside from some jet sweeps to Wan'Dale, there is no one. So even if they keep all 4 I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5th signed to the practice squad.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 11, 2024, 10:40:06 AMMotor is not a 250 carry guy. He is (in all but one season) a sub 200 carry guy. I have a hard time seeing them only rostering three this year, myself.

My thought too Jeff.  Given how frequently RBs get injured, keeping 3 seems bold.

I'd keep a light carry back if he offers something different.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 11, 2024, 09:15:20 AMFigure Singletary is a lock

Eric Gray
Dante Miller
Tyrone Tracy

Keep them all, list Tracy as a WR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Gmo11

Turbo would be the odd man out.  Gray/Tracy are draft picks and Singletary obviously isn't going anywhere if healthy.  He's the only somewhat proven guy they have. 

If I'm guessing at this moment I'd say they'd keep all 4 though.  Tracy has WR experience so can move out there if there's the usual run on WR injuries and Miller might be a weapon as a return guy so he adds value there even as the 4th RB.  Still plenty of time for all of this to get sorted out though.  And Miller might even have a chance to make it past waivers and onto the practice squad depending on how he looks the next two games.

coggs

I agree.  Would love to see them keep all 4 (assuming they all earn it).  Rotate 4, keep them fresher.

Stringer Bell

I'm not sure this team has the depth at other positions where they can afford to keep 4 RBs.

I'd much rather keep one extra OL and chance Miller on the PS.

nb587

Per BBI, Giants just signed Lorenzo Lingard formerly of the Jaguars.  Swapping out Saylors.  I think they're keeping 4 RBs.  RB by committee would require an extra guy as insurance