News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- debuts of 6 first-round QBs

Started by MightyGiants, August 12, 2024, 10:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix stand out in debuts of 6 first-round QBs

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/what-we-learned-rookie-qbs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

JJ had the best performance this past weekend.  Not only was he 11-17 for 188 yards, but his throws were almost all deep throws.  After throwing an INT, he comes back with 2 TDs.  His YPA were over 11 yards per attempt.  That's really good.  Two good scrambles for 18 yards.

Coach O'Connell said he loved that after throwing an INT, JJ did not hesitate to go deep on some great reads.  DJ can learn from that.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I think it's a bit of apples to oranges.  Evaluating a QB who only throws it say 4 or 5 times in a game is too few to extrapolate good or bad versus someone who threw it say 15-20 times.  Many of these rookie QBs seemed to play little.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on August 12, 2024, 10:37:30 AMJJ had the best performance this past weekend.  Not only was he 11-17 for 188 yards, but his throws were almost all deep throws.  After throwing an INT, he comes back with 2 TDs.  His YPA were over 11 yards per attempt.  That's really good.  Two good scrambles for 18 yards.

Coach O'Connell said he loved that after throwing an INT, JJ did not hesitate to go deep on some great reads.  DJ can learn from that.

Scary that a sixth year QB "can learn from" a rookie QB playing in his first ever preseason game.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 12, 2024, 02:56:41 PMScary that a sixth year QB "can learn from" a rookie QB playing in his first ever preseason game.

Even having lived through the barrage of criticisms and putdowns of Daniel Jones for multiple seasons, some of the knocks on DJ still astound me
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 12, 2024, 02:59:41 PMEven having lived through the barrage of criticisms and putdowns of Daniel Jones for multiple seasons, some of the knocks on DJ still astound me

My post was simply remarking on a comment made by another member. It seemed like quite a remarkable statement to me.

Philosophers

In fairness Rich, DJ does not have a natural downfield thrower's mindset.  He needs to have the courage and confidence he can make the throw and I think he lacks that.  He shouldn't.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on August 12, 2024, 03:19:45 PMIn fairness Rich, DJ does not have a natural downfield thrower's mindset.  He needs to have the courage and confidence he can make the throw and I think he lacks that.  He shouldn't.

DJ had a downfield thrower's mindset until Judge and Garrett ripped it out of him.  DJ is only now regaining    his downfield mindset (we are witnessing it in this year's camp)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 12, 2024, 03:22:58 PMDJ had a downfield thrower's mindset until Judge and Garrett ripped it out of him.  DJ is only now regaining    his downfield mindset (we are witnessing it in this year's camp)

DJ's YPA has never been above 6.8 even including his college years. 

katkavage

Williams and Daniels will be stars. McCarthy is in a good situation and is a winner. Nix...we shall see
 Penix won't see the field only because of the ridiculous Cousins contract.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on August 12, 2024, 05:13:37 PMWilliams and Daniels will be stars. McCarthy is in a good situation and is a winner. Nix...we shall see
 Penix won't see the field only because of the ridiculous Cousins contract.

I am not ready to anoint any rookie QB.  Too hard a position to play.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on August 12, 2024, 10:37:30 AMCoach O'Connell said he loved that after throwing an INT, JJ did not hesitate to go deep on some great reads.  DJ can learn from that.

Hey threw 17 times without getting sacked even one time.  I'm sure Daniel would love to learn how to do that.   /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 12, 2024, 06:21:43 PMHey threw 17 times without getting sacked even one time.  I'm sure Daniel would love to learn how to do that.   /sarcasm/

In 1984 Phil Simms played 16 games and got sacked 55 times and still managed a YPC over 14 yards then got sacked 52 times in 1985 and still had a YPC of 13.9.  DJ has not sniffed those kinds of numbers.  I have repeatedly said DJ is under assault which must be fixed for him to have any kind of success but that does not mean he has the downfield gunslinger's mentality because he does not.

Rich noted that maybe prior coaches pushed it out of him.  Maybe.