News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--WCBS 880 to end all-news format, ESPN to take over airwaves

Started by LennG, August 12, 2024, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

For anyone who lives or has lived in the NYC Metro area, this is a shock. WCBS 880 has been on the air for 60 years doing the news and now it all comes to an end. I listen to this station all the time and it is so powerful you can get it in Mass, Rhode Island, Conn, and New Jersey.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wcbs-880-radio-ending-all-news-programming-after-nearly-60-years/ar-AA1oFysh?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=372ad4b6f5274d26a5d5df901e18da8e&ei=48

A true era has come to an end.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Rosehill Jimmy

" traffic and weather on the 8s"

Sorry to see the station go
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

I just found out.  I am very unhappy. I have listened to the station for decades.   I know we also have 1010 WINS, but I never considered it as good.  I first heard about the 9/11 attack on 880 traffic chopper who witnessed the first crash and reported it live.

On an ironic side note, I did not hear the news on 880
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

uconnjack8

My father has forever carried around a radio and tuned into 880 to get the news at the top of the hour. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on August 13, 2024, 10:40:03 AMAren't the Yankees on this station?

At one time, I think that they cover Mets games now.   Most nights, they were covering some sort of sporting event.  I guess in hindsight that should have been the writing on the wall.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE