News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could we start out 0-8

Started by LennG, August 13, 2024, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I know the games haven't started yet, but I was taking a look at our schedule. If we lose to the Vikings on opening day, there is a decent enough chance we start the season 0-8 unless something dramatic happens.
I know I am also usually a glass-half-empty guy and I try and be positive but I see some very tough games out there in our first 8.

Sure we can beat Washington away in week 2 and we might possibly beat the Steelers away, but are we beating the Browns away, beating the Bengals (on a Sunday nite when we never play well)?

I sure hope I am wrong, but looking at the schedule if we get off to a slow start and lose to the Vikings, we could have a repeat of last year after we beat Arizona in week 2.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

EDjohnst1981

It's a rough start for sure.

But I don't envisage them losing to the Darbold/McCarthy led Vikings.

Jones has a superb record against Washington, I'd bet that'll hold up.

I've been accused of anti-jones bias in the past but I genuinely think they can, and will, win 2 of the first 3.

katkavage

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 13, 2024, 04:39:25 PMIt's a rough start for sure.

But I don't envisage them losing to the Darbold/McCarthy led Vikings.

Jones has a superb record against Washington, I'd bet that'll hold up.

I've been accused of anti-jones bias in the past but I genuinely think they can, and will, win 2 of the first 3.
They pretty much must win at least one, better two of the first two or this could be bad. I was listening to the Athletic podcast and they said they could see the Giants as being the worst in the league or at best 8 wins. I see the typical 6-8 wins.

bamagiantfan

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

kingm56

I hope the Sam Donald led Vikings gives a chance for an opening win; thus, avoiding the 0-8 start, Lenn.

BluesCruz

Ahhhh the eternal optimist.  Goodness.

I suppose with Jones its possible

Heavens   We can use the Titanic as our theme song

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Painter

I don't understand why anyone would ask a question for which any legitimate Giants fan- excluding a certain biased twit- might expect to receive an affirmative response, conditionally or otherwise. I don't know, but it seems to arise from the depth of despondency. That's really kinda sad, disheartening.

Quel dommage! C'est triste. 

Philosophers

I just want us above 0.500 after five games.  Lately that has been a task.

DaveBrown74

It's really hard to start 0-8 Lenn. We have been through some truly horrific seasons. I'm pretty sure we have never been 0-8 at any time since the most recent Super Bowl. Even if you're beyond awful, you're going to catch someone on an off week or have a game where the ball bounces your way or the whistles go your way. There is a lot of parity in the league. The difference between the 29th best team and say the 18th best team isn't as great as we fans and the media make it out to be. A lot of games come down to the fourth quarter, even for really bad teams.

MightyGiants

We could also start out 8-0
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Usually the home team wins the Giants-Bengals game; the exception being the last time the two teams played when the Giants finally broke that streak, but not before trying to give it away in Cincinnati.

The Giants haven't won in Steel town since that legendary 2008 game when they were the last man standing. If not for the Plax incident, this would have been the Super Bowl matchup for the repeat that season ... a sickening thought today as it was back then.

Cleveland is a hard-nosed game.

The opener with the 100th anniversary uniforms is going to be a huge festive atmosphere the team will get up for.

But the rematch with Dallas is circled on the calendar. Did they, or did they not narrow the gap between them and their division rival. We will find out. Same with the Iggles.

Hard to say, but I have tempered expectations because I'm taking a wait and see approach and measuring them against my three strategic imperatives I've written about ad nauseum on previous posts.

Bottom line, I'll take them as they come and stand by them to the end, regardless of the record.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Stringer Bell

I think we start out 2-0 and then lose the next 6.

bamagiantfan

Frankly, if they start out 3-5 with wins over the Cowboys, Eagles, and Commanders, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on August 13, 2024, 04:33:33 PMI know the games haven't started yet, but I was taking a look at our schedule. If we lose to the Vikings on opening day, there is a decent enough chance we start the season 0-8 unless something dramatic happens.
I know I am also usually a glass-half-empty guy and I try and be positive but I see some very tough games out there in our first 8.

Sure we can beat Washington away in week 2 and we might possibly beat the Steelers away, but are we beating the Browns away, beating the Bengals (on a Sunday nite when we never play well)?

I sure hope I am wrong, but looking at the schedule if we get off to a slow start and lose to the Vikings, we could have a repeat of last year after we beat Arizona in week 2.

You just had to put that out there in the Universe, didn't you?  =D>
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AYM

Quote from: katkavage on August 13, 2024, 04:44:43 PMThey pretty much must win at least one, better two of the first two or this could be bad. I was listening to the Athletic podcast and they said they could see the Giants as being the worst in the league or at best 8 wins. I see the typical 6-8 wins.

I could see this team winning 2-3 games at worst or 9-10 if everything goes well.

The worst team in the league is the Panthers. That team has no talent and no hope. 0-17 is a real possibility for them IMO.