News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Don't sleep on the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, August 14, 2024, 07:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Prove it.  Words don't matter.  Everyone needs to be playing for their jobs.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on August 14, 2024, 09:48:49 AMProve it.  Words don't matter.  Everyone needs to be playing for their jobs.

I am at a point now where I am almost expecting the Giants to exceed expectations.  They seem on track to fix many of the issues that haunted them last season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 14, 2024, 09:55:58 AMI am at a point now where I am almost expecting the Giants to exceed expectations.  They seem on track to fix many of the issues that haunted them last season.

Not me Rich.  I am too accustomed to underperformance and excessive injuries, the latter of which you can count on every year for the Giants.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 14, 2024, 09:55:58 AMI am at a point now where I am almost expecting the Giants to exceed expectations.  They seem on track to fix many of the issues that haunted them last season.

In fairness, that isn't a high bar to have to get over. We all want to see them make the playoffs and have a run, but I'll be happy if at the end of the season I am saying, "that was much better. I can't wait to see them next year," kinda like the 2022 Lions fans were able too. Aside from 2023 after the 2022 nine win season, it feels like we are entering our 6th consecutive rebuilding year. I hate that feeling.

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

H-Town G-Fan

I think this squad is more talented than last years (despite high-profile departures in Leonard Williams, Xavier McKinney, and Saquon Barkley). There are still significant concerns on both sides of the ball that could unwind any "potential" for a decent showing the Giants could have. There's a good chance they could be a better team this year with little to show for it in terms of wins and losses.

Gmo11

Last year I thought I knew that the team would finish with a worse record but be in most games with a better team, just eventually losing due to an overall lack of talent as compared to their opponent and a worse schedule.  I was...to say the least...very very wrong.

This year I'm taking a wait and see approach.  I think this team has gradually gotten better overall every season Schoen has been here. I see the direction he's going, I understand the plan, I don't necessarily agree with everything he's done but I at least understand it which is a FAR cry from his predecessor. 

I do think the Giants can exceed most expectations mainly because those expectations are so low to begin with.  But it comes down to how Jones plays.  If he can just be league average at QB the team around him is good enough to drag him to the playoffs.  They may not do much once they get there but they could at least get there.  If he's the same old guy we've seen to date...probably finishing slightly below .500.  I'm anxious to see how they look week 1 with a game against a team that's probably their equal in terms of talent.

PSUBeirut

ZZZzzzzzZZZzzZ  wake me up when the season starts.

katkavage

No, Bobby, no! Please sleep on the Giants.

bamagiantfan

One of the secrets to happiness is low expectations.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

EDjohnst1981

Out of interest, can anyone remember what the players were saying last year?

As someone said above. Proof is in the pudding, words are cheap.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 14, 2024, 02:07:59 PMOut of interest, can anyone remember what the players were saying last year?

As someone said above. Proof is in the pudding, words are cheap.

Last year the offense had 2 book-end tackles for the next decade, the best young center in the draft, a top RB talent another year removed from major injury, a real receiving threat at the TE position that would give DCs problems, and Jalin Hyatt looked like a game changer at the wideout position. 

Ob la di ob la da.  Can't wait for the season to start!!

DaveBrown74

Exactly. Find me a clip of an active Giant player (or any NFL player) in August who says he states publicly that he thinks his team is going to have even just a mediocre year that year.

I'll save you the trouble - it isn't out there.

Fans are free to be as optimistic as they want, but I would caution against listening to players' words in interviews as the basis for that optimism.