News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Caine Mutiny

Started by Giant Obsession, August 17, 2024, 07:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

I have dickered with myself about posting this for almost 2 years now....so here goes.

In the movie, based on the book by Herman Wouk, there is a scene around the 1 hour 17 minute mark that has confounded me and I have tried researching thru the internet until I am cross eyed.

The scene takes place aboard the aircraft crat, which is docked, commanded by Admiral Bull Halsey, who is in charge of Pacific Operations.

The 3 officers from the Caine go to see Halsy to report what they believe to be the danger Captain Queeg is to their shop.

At this time the carrier flight deck is loaded with the crew from the carrier for some reason (not material to my question).   

Now here comes my query for you.  A voice comes over the P.A. dismissing them to return to I am summing their duties or maybe sme type of leave.

That voice....over the P.A. I swear is the voice of Marty Glickman.  It is uncredited and I can not find out searching hundreds of stories on the net.  It remains a mystery to me.... one that has driven me to the edge. 

If you have to ask who Marty Glickman is "shame on you :) I feel confident the "veterans" are getting a chuckle by now.

Does anyone know the answer ??

Even if you have no idea about all this, every one of you should become familiar at the very least with Mr. Glickman.

As to the movie as I said it is based on a book by Herman Wouk,  one of the greatest American writers i.m.o.  And the movie is a classic with an all star cast, many in very minor roles, starring Humphrey Bogart and Van Johnson and Fred MacMurray as you have never seen him.

Anyway I feel better having dumped this on all of you for help.  I can not find the answer anywhere.

Thank you all for taking the time and allowing me to unburden :)   Mike
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

Mike

One of my all-time favorite movies as Bogie is my fav all-time actor.

And, I believe you meant Marty Glickman, not Mary because she would cause a stir, especially if Halsey found out she was aboard.

I Have seen the movie many times but really it never crossed my mind at the time. Marty Glickman was probably doing Giants games back when the movie was made, why would he scoot out to Hollywood to do a simple couple of lines, but who knows? If it isn't credited we will never know, but next time I do watch this movie I will give a special listen and tell you what I think.

Ah, the Strawberries, that how I got them.  :ok:  :ok:  :ok:  :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Lenn, thanks for the catch on spelling.  No more 4 a.m. postings for me :)

I di know from research Marty did work for Paramount from about 54 - 59.  You know those old newsreel highlights we used to see in theaters.  Only thing I can figure is that connection with Hollywood may have gotten him the job. 

Doubtful it would have paid much.  But then again I just read that Gene Barrys cameo appearance in the remake of War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise garnered him #500,000 for a less than 10 second non speaking appearance.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

Gene Barrys cameo appearance in the remake of War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise garnered him #500,000 for a less than 10 second non speaking appearance.

WOW, I never knew that. I guess it pays to have been the star of the original.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on August 17, 2024, 12:33:59 PMMike

One of my all-time favorite movies as Bogie is my fav all-time actor.

Likewise.  And this was a pretty unusual role for him, but he did a great job.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

Just so happens this movie was on TCM last week, so I naturally DVRed it, just to get to the spot where Mike said, the voice that might be Marty Glickman. I listened to it about 5 times, with my hearing aid, without my hearing aid and to be honest, I couldn't say either way. If you told me it was him, I would agree, if you said it wasn't I would agree to that also.

BTW, since I fast-forwarded it to the spot indicated, I just couldn't resist watching the rest of the movie once again. You just get caught up in the flow and watch a great movie again and again.

Charlie Weiss