News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The QB Battle of the Backups and a Roster Spot

Started by Ed Vette, August 19, 2024, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on August 19, 2024, 01:28:16 PMI think you're right, and I hope so, Ed but...whether he and they believe it at this moment, I'm not certain that it won't change, whether or not consciously, if the season starts badly. If the Jones effort fails due to poor performance or injury, I don't see why the Giants would see an advantage in adding some temporary fill-in QB when next year's QB Draft will be sugar-plumbing Tchaikovsky in their heads by early October.

Cheers!

Larry, I'm talking now, before the season starts. Imo, a competent QB with a good Offensive Line and the Receiving Weapons the Giants have, can help this Offense score points and win games. If Jones is lost, early on, they can still get to the playoffs. The fans who pay for their seats, don't want to know a season was given up on for a high draft pick. The Owners don't have it in their DNA to tank a season. Case in point last season, riding Tommy's enthusiasm which drove the team until his priorities became more about his 15 minutes of fame.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 19, 2024, 01:50:06 PMEd: Are wanting to win and putting yourself in a position to win as many as possible the same thing? Bob
The two go hand in hand.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

I see no point in lock

Either Jones finally gets it together and we are competitive... or we fall out the playoff race quickly and pray for a QB in the draft ..... and in that case rather just let a young Devito try to prove something in a lost season

Jclayton92

I'm not overly enthusiastic about any Qb on the roster. I however want Jones to play all season long. We need to go into this next offseason knowing. Best line on paper in a decade, and possibly the best weapons. We have to know one we or another and Lock/Devito playing leaves us with the same questions going into 2025.

We either have our Qb, or a great setup for a rookie QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 19, 2024, 09:47:35 PMI'm not overly enthusiastic about any Qb on the roster. I however want Jones to play all season long. We need to go into this next offseason knowing. Best line on paper in a decade, and possibly the best weapons. We have to know one we or another and Lock/Devito playing leaves us with the same questions going into 2025.

We either have our Qb, or a great setup for a rookie QB.
If the line plays as well as they have shown so far, I think Jones will have his best season. He's going to have some slow starts and bad moments, but he is far better than any QB on this Roster and available out there with the exception of Tannehill. If he stays healthy. A solid backup is an insurance policy. If the Pass Protection breaks down, it doesn't matter who's behind Center. This team would only go just so far and be another disappointment. We both know, Jones isn't going to carry this team to a SB but anything can happen in the Playoffs. He may be enough to complete the team. Let's hope his confidence is strong. Last year he looked like a beaten dog.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin